Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Network

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jpullen, May 13, 2020.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    There's no conspiracy. SEC Network shows historic games and major upsets. Most replays on all the networks fit one of those 2 criteria. That's what people want to see.

If you think back to our glory days during the Spurrier and Meyer eras and how many of our wins were upsets? We were big favorites in most of those games. And in the non Spurrier/Meyer era, how many major upsets did we pull off?

Unfortunately for us, very few of the historic games and major upsets the Gators were involved in were games we lost. Zook's win at FSU was a major upset and they show that game quite a bit. Bama is in the same boat. Most of the Bama games shown are when they were upset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Of course there is a conspiracy. Sec Network really stands for

Spurrier
    ExCluded.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    YouTube!

4. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Can't find 2007 vs. Tennessee

5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    This is nothing new and precedes the SEC Network. Florida losing is a big deal as far as SEC news goes.

6. GatorFirefighter

GatorFirefighter Junior

Apr 13, 2007
    Longwood, FL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. big_slick

big_slick Recruit

May 15, 2020
    Not just sec network. It’s the conference too. I remember a vote by the other SEC ADs in the eighties that took away a conference championship.

8. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Exactly! I've found lots of those. I was looking for the original broadcast in full!

9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I would think that there would be interest in the network showing all the football and basketball sec championship games, unless they simply don't have the rights, but I haven't seen many of them. Yea, I know I can probably find them on the internet, not the point tho.
    I have seen the inaugural championship game vs bama replayed a million times tho. Can't be anyone that hasn't seen that one.

10. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    They do tend to show Gator losses an awful lot but they are usually tight games or upsets of us so I get it but as a Gator is sure seems like a bias.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    On the SEC network the other day Chizic named Trask as the best SEC QB based on his own ability but also because he has a great surrounding cast.

12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    SEC Prez's. AD's had previously voted to allow UF to keep the title.

13. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Methinks The Bazza doth protest too much. C'mon man, wouldn't it be great to while away some hours watching us beat down the semis, dogs, bucknuts, tigers, etc?
    Just anecdotally, every time I check SECN, there's nary a Gator in sight. Football, Basketball, baseball, softball, we cover so much quality and all I see is test patterns. Likewise NBCSports. I know their domer bias, but we're NEVER on there either.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'm not much into replays with the exception of a game that was just played within' the past few weeks and even then it has to be an occasion where I'm interested in observing certain aspects of the game.

Winning is obviously fantastic but I really don't need to see us plastered all over the SEC Network either winning or losing. I'll just wait for sports to resume.

I'm plenty busy anyway with other life distractions - hence my care-o-meter on this particular issue.

Go Gators! ;)

15. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    :p
    Have you considered recalibration of your care-o-meter?:p

16. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree. Technically it was the presidents voting. But the AD’s of that era were the real power, and guys like Woodruff at Tennessee and Dooley at Georgia were actually calling the shots. Most of those AD’s were still part of the Good Old Boy SEC establishment, who didn’t like the fact that the Florida football giant was finally stirring. The presidents did what they were told when it came to SEC athletic back then.

Has the SEC network replayed our huge upset in Baton Rouge of LSU in 2003, when we started a true freshman QB (Leak) and Saban went on to win the national championship? Or the 2015 upset of Ole Miss at the Swamp? If not, we may have a case for anti-Gator bias.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Except that there were actually 2 discrete votes taken. The first by the AD's that did not result in a stripping of the Gators title (reported in the news media after it happened). And secondly (after AD's like Woodruff and Dooley who were very vocal about stripping the title went back to their University President's and got them involved in the controversy) there was a vote by the University President's on the same topic, which over-ruled the earlier vote.

18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    No way they play those games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I can second that being born and raised in atlanta. To be more clear northern Florida is fine in most Georgians minds , it’s middle to southern Florida that we don’t consider southern. And really northern Florida is just a flatter version of ga, culturally and ethnically