Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

SEC mandates masks for fans

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorTodd, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you plan on attending a SEC game this season you will be required to wear a mask. Stadiums will also have to install plexiglass at concessions. The state of Florida still has a limitation of a max of 50 people at any gathering so they will have to make exceptions if fans are going to attend.

SEC announces that fans must wear face masks in stadiums this season

SEC announces fan health and safety guidelines

The article doesn't make it clear but it you can be socially distant from "strangers" then you don't have to wear a mask.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Gee, never saw that one coming. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Are fans going to be allowed to tailgate before and after games? Add in alcohol and you can throw the masks and social distancing out the window.

5. GatorTodd

Apr 3, 2007
    Been wondering about tailgating as well. I could see them nixing that. Or they could say they allow it but limit the size of a tailgate. Either way, I hope people understand the risks by now and take the proper precautions. But yeah, I could see people getting removed from the stadium for not wearing a mask. Should make for some good Internet videos if nothing else.

6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    They could somewhat contain the tailgating on campus property but would have no control over those who set up off campus which I would think a lot will do if the university bans it on campus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. unofficialgator

unofficialgator Freshman

Sep 1, 2014
    wait what? there's a mandate for 50 for gatherings? are you sure that's not limited to homes or something like that? Schools are starting in a few weeks, costcos and publixes are packed and churches still meet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. GatorTodd

Apr 3, 2007
    Coronavirus: Jacksonville Mayor limits attendance at many establishments to 50 people

Here is something that talks about the limit in Jacksonville. Some places are exempt. Football games will probably be exempt.

9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    ohio state had already banned it before their season got canceled so it'll be interesting to see what else comes. I don't see how you enforce that, are you going to tell a family just standing around a car talking to break it up? Where are they supposed to go?

Also when a game gets close and there's 60,000 seats in front of someone whose assigned seats are row 90, they're just going to stay up there?

And is each state going to be different? Alabama could say to hell with social distancing we're packing jordan hare and bryant denny but then Florida stays with the 50 limit, could be some interesting home field advantages.

Seems there are enough issues just getting the season started, I'm not sure how there are going to be fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I would also be happy with fans for masks. My chin gets rather hot.

I would also accept fans of masks for $800, Alex.

11. etennant

etennant Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville
    The Florida Department of Health has recommendations for community events of greater than 250. In phase 2 we were "encouraged to avoid gatherings greater than 50". Heck, we have restaurants that even at 50% capacity seat more than 50. Hopefully, we can do this in a smart way.

Organizers of Community Events

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Need to find the right kind of mask to wear in the 98 degree Florida heat.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find such a mask?

13. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    This is all new to us. For Tennessee fans, however, wearing masks to cover up their identity is the norm.

• Funny Funny x 7
  14. Msgreentea

Msgreentea GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well moving the season back will help but- in my experience the paper masks that have some shape are by far the coolest. And if you breath through your mouth some, the cloth mask can stick to your face. In order of effectiveness so an N95, Kn95 or a disposable surgical mask. But since they haven’t adequately ramped up the N95 and still recommend it only for healthcare workers I would order a KN95 and have a cloth mask as a backup. No expert just based on my person experience for comfort and what I have read.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, and think about the average scUM fan. Wow, given that they are used to wearing masks, and since scUM only fills 20% of the stadium anyway, their fans will see absolutely no change in their gameday routine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
  17. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure it is practical or even possible to wear a mask for 3-4 hours in the Florida heat. I've tried both paper and cotton types and they each absorb so much water, generally within an hour they are useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    How it should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    This will be the first time in 15 years I don’t go to at least one home game. Not worth it

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.