Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Football Strength of Schedule Rankings

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 24, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    SEC Strength of Schedule Rankings

[​IMG]
    Florida

This is the portion of the program where the schedules get significantly "easier" (in relation to the rest of the SEC). Florida has its annual tilt with Florida State to end the season, but the Noles took a hit in my rankings after last year, so the game doesn't carry as much weight as it normally would. The rest of Florida's nonconference includes Charleston Southern, Colorado State and Idaho. The Gators get LSU and Mississippi State out of the West, and that road trip to Starkville should be fun with Dan Mullen now in charge. Inside the division, there's the annual game in Jacksonville against Georgia, while South Carolina and Mizzou both come to Gainesville. The toughest road game on the slate should be the season finale against the Noles.

SEC strength of schedule rankings 2018: Georgia has it easy while Alabama faces challenges

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    SEC Strength of Schedule Rankings

[​IMG]
    LSU

[​IMG]
    Alabama

[​IMG]
    Miss. St.

[​IMG]
    Arkansas

[​IMG]
    Auburn

[​IMG]
    Kentucky

[​IMG]
    Texas A&M

[​IMG]
    Florida

This is the portion of the program where the schedules get significantly "easier" (in relation to the rest of the SEC). Florida has its annual tilt with Florida State to end the season, but the Noles took a hit in my rankings after last year, so the game doesn't carry as much weight as it normally would. The rest of Florida's nonconference includes Charleston Southern, Colorado State and Idaho. The Gators get LSU and Mississippi State out of the West, and that road trip to Starkville should be fun with Dan Mullen now in charge. Inside the division, there's the annual game in Jacksonville against Georgia, while South Carolina and Mizzou both come to Gainesville. The toughest road game on the slate should be the season finale against the Noles.

[​IMG]
    South Carolina

[​IMG]
    Vanderbilt

[​IMG]
    Ole Miss

[​IMG]
    Tennessee

[​IMG]
    Georgia

[​IMG]
    Missouri

Tom Fornelli
    CBS Sports Writer

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    LSU @ home again makes this one of the easier schedules in recent memory. I'm not predicting we run roughshod through this schedule; simply that it's not as stout as usual.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jordan4vols

jordan4vols Senior

Feb 4, 2015
    Three of Tennessee's non conference are gimmies and West Virginia while favored is not some premier tough game but we get Auburn and Bama out of the west this year. We also have to play You guys, Georgia, Bye Week, Auburn, Bama, South Carolina in consecutive weeks and he has us as the 12th hardest schedule? Absurd list.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    With WVU game being a neutral site game I figured Tenn would be higher than 12 as well. I think WVU is a touchdown favorite right now, according to Vegas..

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jordan4vols

jordan4vols Senior

Feb 4, 2015
    I mean I’m not saying it’s the toughest but we do get the SEC West champion and the national champion so I would have a hard time putting it below any of the other East teams. Florida State is a tougher game than West Virginia in my opinion but surely we could all agree that Tennessee would gladly trade Auburn and Alabama for for LSU and Mississippi State. I just don’t understand the reasoning

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    When you play the 'Eers, you better have a pass defense. Grier will want to put up half a grand in the air...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yepper, you guys have one of if not the hardest schedules in our conference.

9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Any time you attempt to judge the strength of a schedule before you see how well each team is performing, it's pretty much a waste of time and effort.

In my opinion, in football, at least, the least difficult appearing schedule is gonna be far, far more difficult that any schedule faced in Non-Southern Conferences.

10. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    About the only thing I agree with on his list is LSU at number 1. Coach O got his work cut out.

11. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Interesting to compare this with Phil Steele's strength of schedule rankings from the other topic. Four are the same 1-LSU 6-Kentucky 12-Tennessee and 13-Georgia. The three biggest differences are Missouri (14/4) Alabama (2/10) and Florida (8/14). The comparisons:

CBS /Steele
    LSU 1 /1
    Alabama 2 /10
    Miss St 3 /5
    Arkansas 4 /7
    Auburn 5 /3
    Kentucky 6 /6
    Texas A&M 7 /2
    Florida 8 /14
    South Carolina 9 /11
    Vanderbilt 10 /9
    Ole Miss 11 /8