Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Commissioners comments today

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Of course it’s not a scare tactic - it’s the obvious truth. Come on man, Trump wants to open schools and businesses too - it’s illogical to think he’d be trying to scare people away from doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I tend to think a very short window of experience with baseball and maybe the NBA will play a huge role in determining whether there will be a fall college football season and, if so, what it may look like. Baseball's immediate problems in trying to open the season are obviously not a good sign. I would tend to view baseball as lower risk than football since in baseball you don't really put your hands on another player very often and don't routinely square up to other players face to face. And we can't wall off college football players from the rest of the world to keep them in their own bubble when they are students living on or near a college campus.

I really, really would love to see football this fall. It would be a huge respite for all of us. But there is a reality here we can't ignore. People can say all they want about rates of death... ...but at this point there are 150,000 dead in the U.S. and that number keeps growing. Kind of hard to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    MLB having difficulties will seal the deal for CFB.

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm actually surprised they are going forward after several cancelled games.

But realistically, I do think the risk "on the field" has to be pretty damned low. So maybe it was just a "Marlins problem", something internal to the team and to South FL.

In broader terms MLB need to watch what they are doing in the clubhouse and in the dugout, and probably should at least have some higher precautions around all that. One more Marlins like incident surely ends the season. The main interactions on the field are at the batters box and at first base. Are the catcher and umpire required to wear a mask? Because they probably should. Other than that, not sure what else they can do on the field. But clearly the Marlins dropped the ball internally.

5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    It is probably very likely they will start the season. However, what it will look like before it is all over may not be what they intended. Very possibly a lot of cancelled games or teams playing with entire position groups out with the shits or a week of splitting headaches and breathing issues because they spend so much time together (the "RB Room" is an actual thing) that they pass the virus around to each other.

6. ecogator

ecogator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala
    This thread needs to be moved. The politicos just cant seem to grasp that this is a sports forum. Is there no where that is safe from the chicken littles?

• Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's definitely the off the field aspect that is the problem. Something that will be exacerbated by the dynamics of campus life for CFB.

Maybe the Marlins will be the isolated anomaly, but MLB is the closest CFB is going to get to a test model. Commissioners of the P5 have got to be scrutinizing their outcomes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I wonder about this claim about teachers not contracting the virus from students. Maybe it's true, but it fails to account for the fact that teachers may pass it along to each other (this has occurred and teachers have died). This fact, I think, is relevant for sports teams, as coaches and support staff may be negatively impacted. Then, of course, there is a risk for players and other young people to suffer long term health consequences.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Seems nobody wants to go first as far as officially cancelling the season. Nobody wants to be that guy. The NCAA seems to be punting it to the conferences, some money losing conferences have gone ahead and cancelled fall sports, but the power 5 has thus far only cancelled "out of conference" - which is where the Big 10 and Pac-12 have gone (cancelling some pretty juicy match-ups). That seemed like a weak kneed delay tactic.

Crazy to think the CFB season is supposed to start 1 month from today, but like half those big early games have already been cancelled.

10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    General comment:
    Anyone who blindly “believes“ any politician, regardless of political, party, is foolish or intellectually lazy. Healthy skepticism and some fact checking are helpful in forming one’s opinion of current events.

Politicians have an agenda to get re-elected and thus pander to their base and donors. The media makes their money from advertising and they shape their content and sensationalize as needed to attract and retain viewers/readers in certain key demographics to maximize their revenues.

In the age of the internet, many facts and data points are available instantaneously, so anyone who’s not fact checking what they hear from politicians and “experts” (it’s easy to find 2 “experts” in the same field who have diametrically opposed viewpoints - one will be on TV network A, the other on TV network B) isn’t getting the complete story. Government policy is ALWAYS shaped by interest groups, regardless of the underlying facts, one need only remember to follow the money. Take education as an example. “Experts” have shaped curricula and made it compulsory at all levels of education, yet longitudinal student performance has been declining for 50 years. Another example is health care. Regardless of one’s political affiliation, I think it’s fair to say that the system we have now, architected by interest groups and “experts”, encoded thru legislation, is sub-optimal. The examples are manifest.

Social media echo chambers amplify emotional rhetoric, and seldom bring any additional clarity to complex issues.

Specific comment:
    You said: “This is why 150,000 people and counting are dead and this virus isn't going anywhere.”

IMHO, perspective is helpful when considering the magnitude of this issue. According to the CDC, the 1918 Spanish Flu was the most severe pandemic in recent history, resulting in 675,000 deaths across all age groups in the US (Covid skews towards the elderly, and those with co-morbidities). The US population at the time was 103 million people, so the death rate was 0.66% - said differently, 99.34% of the population survived. If one applies the Spanish flu mortality to the current Covid situation, 0.66% of the current US population of 330 million people equates to 2.16 million deaths. 150,000 Current Covid deaths is roughly 7.9% of 2.16 million. In other words, Covid deaths would need to increase by 14x to match the Spanish flu mortality, which seems unlikely. According to John’s Hopkins, US death rate from Covid is 45 per 100,000 population. That means that 99.96 of the US population hasn’t died from Covid as of yet. Interestingly, fatal accidents in the US run at 48 per 100,000. Not sure about you, but I don’t wake up every day worried about dying in an accident of some kind, but the risk is the same as dying of Covid.

“the virus isn’t going anywhere”
    According to the CDC, in spite of the 1918 Spanish flu being the most severe modern pandemic, only one third of the US population became infected (and that was without locking down the economy), so Covid will eventually go away once the susceptible population contracts it, because a substantial majority are naturally not susceptible for one reason or another. Clearly there are susceptible segments of society that should be protected, and one can argue which prudent steps can be taken, however I submit that should be done while maintaining some perspective on the magnitude of the issue, which is not being provided by politicians, experts, and the media.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Congratulations, Skink. You will ensure that this thread gets locked.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Our "need to be entertained" has no bearing on whether the decision-makers go forward, or not. Quit putting it back on the fans. We don't decide; we only hope for or against. Scott Strickland and Greg Sankey aren't going to come here and get their basis data from Gator Country before they decide. We have zero impact.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There are multiple renowned infectious disease experts who did not agree with the lockdowns and school closures, both here and in Europe. For instance, look into the team at Stanford University--one of America's top universities. It is absolutely false to claim that all scientists are on the same page, and that Trump is the only outlier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ironic isn’t it? The entire topic is 95% politically driven, and we’re somehow supposed to be able to discuss it without getting into politics. There’s an odd humor to that - at the same time I can’t fathom how you can find any of this funny unless you are totally in denial.

Beyond this, I generally enjoy your posts Davis

15. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Excellent post sir!

Unfortunately, we live in a society where common sense is extremely uncommon.. And it's an absolute shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This entire board, except for the Pub, has been hijacked by the politicos. It's getting tiresome.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Our entire society right now my friend. It’s an election year unlike any other. There is a very determined and well-funded effort to divide this country and wreck our economy as November approaches. Hopefully you aren’t blind to that.

Failure to open schools will have a devastating impact not only on our national economy, but on the lives of tens of millions of working parents, and their kids. The decisions to keep everything closed over what MIGHT happen are purely politically motivated, especially when you weigh in the impact of what MOST CERTAINLY WILL happen by doing so.

To your point, this is our lives right now in the beleaguered US of A. Watch most of this shit disappear after November.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Is the SEC commissioner in on this conspiracy?

It's amazing, to think like you do has to assume like 100,000,000+ people in this country, including top level conferences and league Sports Commissioners and all sorts of businesses losing billions of dollars hand over fist, are all in on the same grand conspiracy.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I watched that video and it was clearly politically driven and not science based (the whole thing is a Tea Party production). I do know one of the doctors in that video has been practicing for less than a 3 years and is an ophthalmologist. I don't think I am going to listen to an eye doctor when it comes down to a virus, personally. Oh, another doctor in that video (Stella Immanuel) has been saying that alien DNA has been used in medical treatments.

20. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    And that is where this thread turned to a Trump bashing thread like 99% of the threads on this forum. this wolf cry is not effective anymore. try something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.