Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Commissioners comments today

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Made a statement he is concerned about current situation and
    a delayed start to the season may be a good idea.

Not a direct quote but that’s the essence

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    After watching the baseball mess, and the general idiocy of "getting back to normal" when things are not normal, I hope we have a season even if it does not look like past seasons. Something like 5 league games spaced 2 weeks apart. Then 4 teams from each power conference have 2 games to play into a playoffs. I think fewer games, trying to allow time between games for testing, and not have as much travel would be good. I doubt there are many fans at any games, but right now some sports done safely is better than no sports or pretending we are a "full go" when that is obviously impossible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    IMO a delayed start and completion of the season is the best we can hope for right now. And that's not looking all that likely. At least the completion part.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    There should be no fall season. Sports is a reward to countries that have taken the due diligence to beat back COVID...also, our need to be entertained is not greater than the health of student athletes.

• Come On Man x 7
    • Agree x 6
    • Dislike x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. ShortBusGator

ShortBusGator Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    At their age and physical condition unless they catch covid and start racing motor cycles or swimming with great white sharks in a seal suit, their chances of ending up on the COVID scoreboard is so close to zero percent, it's statistically irrelevant.

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    As evidenced by my post, I would love some kind of season. However, your focus on the players as being immune to this issue is both willfully blind and factually incorrect. It is willfully blind because you ignore that players will interact in close contact with older coaches, trainers, doctors, parents/grandparents/family, advisors, and teachers. The whole "why can't young kids go to bars" kind of ignores the other 18 hours of every day.

What is the risk of football to society? Your response reminds me of people saying "hey, 220 people are hospitalized per day from coronary attacks in Florida so what is the big deal with covaid?" The response being that if 200 people per day went down in jet crashes, would we investigate jet safety. The point being that this whole thing boils down to what is avoidable, what is the cost of avoidance, what are the further risks (spread to vulnerable populations, etc), what is the value of taking risks (economic, social), etc. This is a sport, a business, and entertainment. How much risk to life is it worth?

Second, the risk to young people is not entirely known. This study suggests hospitalization of 35 kids per 100k covaid cases. 1 in 3 Young Adults May Face Severe COVID-19, UCSF Study Shows. I know a kid of 30 who had a 102 degree fever for 30 days and is still "off." Young Covid-19 survivors warn they're still suffering - CNN. Put it this way, if UF students started motorcycle racing or swimming with great whites in seal suits en masse we would have questions - the risk to the young seems lower but is it really clear that they are "safe?"

I agree with your point that we can consider if a season is possible, but simply focusing on the "scoreboard" for athletes is as myopic as the "don't consider any sports" post you responded to. Complex and difficult decision here.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    30 kids under age 15 have died from the virus in the US. 178 have died from the flu during the same time. More than 600 have committed suicide. Over 4000 have died from accidents.These numbers come from the CDC. In NC, only one person has died under 50 (underlying condition). No one under age 17 has passed the virus to a teacher anywhere in the world. Make no mistake, it's a serious situation but politics, not science, is driving the decision to keep schools closed and create fear. Once the election is over, magically, the impact of the virus will be minimal. Welcome to 1984. No need to think for yourself, we will tell you what to think. Google, Facebook and the media have become "The Ministry of Truth".

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Best Post Ever x 7
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Google and Facebook the "Ministry of Truth"? LMAO. It's the best they can do to keep deranged cult groups from intentionally spreading misinformation campaigns on their platform... i.e. anti-vaxxers and qanon other nonsense. I'd hardly call that a ministry of truth. more like self preservation. In some cases they basically have to prevent their platforms from becoming useful tools of organized crime or terrorism.

It's an odd dilemma. Those firms obviously have financial interest in keeping people engaged to them, the original vision for social media evolved to include the dissemination and sharing of "news" - yet, they clearly realize almost all the shit on their platforms are spread by total frauds or even criminals. It's almost a bizarro world where the velocity of information is detached from the credibility of that information - you may not like the media filters, but even for the most hardcore biased left or right media at least there is some filter keeping it grounded in reality.

As far as your numbers, I don't disagree, but the answer isn't as clear as you lay out. The virus is an odd one in that it is FAR more deadly to older people. Yet, we shouldn't be dismissive of the threat to kids, knowing that keeping kids out of schools since March has probably suppressed those numbers. My take on schools is areas that have the virus under control should be able to open schools (i.e. it is an acceptable risk), areas that don't have a good situation or are actually seeing exploding cases should delay school or go online. Florida falls into that category, it's one of the states where it would be absolutely crazy to open schools.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Didn't realize we had kids 15 and under on the team. I thought we had 18 to 22 year olds, a decent handful of which are carrying a lot of extra weight. Not too many 15 year old coaches or training staff on the team either. If Mullen catches it from an asymptomatic player and ends up in the hospital for a few weeks, or worse, then what? It is not unrealistic to think it will happen. My wife's niece just got it and she was asymptomatic for 10 days. It took 10 days for her to get her test results and in that time she gave it to her sister and mother. Half a team could get it before anyone even knows they have it. Not to mention the long term effects that are showing up in people who supposedly recovered. Frickin zombie virus, man. Politics is driving the decisions to open up everything, not the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I am LMAO when you imply the censors of the internet are not shutting down anyone who disagrees with their ideology. What makes the media the judge and jury of free speech?

You said, "Knowing that keeping kids out of school since March "probably" suppressed those numbers". That's fake news, not science.

Your response is why I stay off Too Hot. The public has been brainwashed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    "If Mullen gets it and ends up in the hospital for a few weeks"....that's fake news.

"Not to mention the long term effects"...more fake news.

That is all speculation. Not science.

With all of the sports stars including more than 60 LSU and Clemson players getting it, why hasn't anyone died? Surely, the left wing media would be all over this news.

Most will get the virus (including my son and sister). Everyone will get the antibodies and the host will die (herd immunity). Like the measles and chickenpox. Protect the elderly. Older people will soon get the vaccine.

Open the schools. Play football in empty stadiums at the moment. Use common sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Only one?
    So the other 96 deaths between 25-49 are fake news?

NC DHHS COVID-19: Cases

• Like Like x 1
  13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Speaking of Speculation.....:rolleyes:

Its a new virus, no one knows how long antibodies will stay in a person's system at this point in time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Still harping on “our need to be entertained”, eh?

SMH

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

In before it’s locked

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Our players can barely ride scooters around campus without something happening, I sure as hell hope they don't start racing motorcycles

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Fake news? What was the purpose of closing schools? To limit the opportunities for the spread among children. No different from the purpose of “shutting down” any other large gatherings. While my statement was indeed my own speculation, it isn’t exactly going out on a limb with the assumption the volume of cases among children has been suppressed by the fact the kids have been out of school since March. This should be obvious to all.

Obviously kids need to go to back school. I’m not even making a case schools should be closed, on the contrary, I think in many areas schools should be opened as it is detrimental for kids to be missing out on socializations and learning. Hotspots like FL and TX and some others just don’t fall into this category right now, opening schools will just pile on to their immediate problems.

What is your argument here. The SEC commissioner is a deep stater? Isn’t acting rationally?

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Someone brought up the 18-22 year old age group.
    The CDC showed a 18-25 year old bracket though I can't find it now.
    A few weeks ago more of that age had been killed by pneumonia than this- from Feb- July. (Again I can't find updated numbers by age.)

I DID see that the CDC says that only 6% of ALL covid deaths had no co-morbidities. So 94% did- and that counts the elderly.
    So using common sense- the risk for an 18-22 year old athlete, with no underlying health conditions is basically zero.
    He's in more danger driving around town than from this.

Agree w/ many others that we need to be cautious, test often, etc but still have a season.

And that includes all fall sports- not just football.

19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The NBA is doing it right.

Though it will be interesting to see what happens if there is an outbreak inside their bubble. My take was pro-athletes should be expected to take the risk, and even play through asymptomatically, so long as they are transparent and people have fair arrangements to opt-out. The risk is indeed that low, though I do think football carries some unique risks for overweight lineman. I just don’t think you can ask college athletes to take this risk, nor can you expect them to behave responsibly. Hell, with football programs in particular you have to cross your fingers there aren’t “outbreaks” of criminal mischief during down times.

20. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What do Trump's appointed scientists say?

What does Trump himself say? Just this past week: "things are going to get a lot worse before they get better." Scare tactic? I'm sure he cancelled the GOP convention because he has been manipulated as well. Or perhaps he is part of the conspiracy against himself??

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.