Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Seaton on deck

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Kirby, Oct 21, 2023.

1. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    They are both replaceable. Do I want to have to replace them, no. But if they think they are bigger than the team, then go. You can see what Billy’s looking to build here and it’s guys that buy into the working and being a good teammate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Anyone who thinks we can just "replace" Trey is out of their mind.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Everyone is replaceable. The trick is to find a replacement that is as good or better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Losing both ETN and Tre Wilson to the portal would be an unmitigated disaster for Napier, anyone that thinks otherwise is whistling past the graveyard as one former Gator put it. The optics themselves would be awful, but these are two of the most talented/exciting offensive players we've had in a long while.

However, I suspect these rumors are just rivals stirring the pot and kicking us while we're down, we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    I think the bigger problem is that both of them were obviously team guys, but if they leave, it will signal that this isn’t the team they want to build. And then getting the other ‘better’ guys will be a much harder job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh don't get me wrong. If they don't want to be there, then I'm all for them going. I just think that ETN is a very good back capable of having a fairly lengthy NFL career if he avoids major injuries. I don't see Wilson making it for any extended play in the NFL. Of course I was wrong about K. Toney so there's hope for Wilson. :D

7. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Exactly. And that is difficult to do. At least for the vast majority of CFB teams.

8. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Will announce his Decision on Thursday
    Fresh of his Osu visit

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Look at how many OSU had to dump today to make room for him.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder how many other teams are tampering with the NIL? Here's what I suspect is happening.

This is pure fiction but possible so take it for what it's worth. Is it possible that other teams are calling players currently on other teams to "promise" them such and such money if that player portals over to their university, knowing that if they say "NO" that they still did damage to that school becasue it gave that player in question a reason to ask for more NIL money from their current school?

IOW the cost of NIL will go up becasue of other schools tampering with players on other teams in a way that's a win win for them becasue if they don't land that player then the cost to have that player just went up.

Even if they tamper just to plant seeds in the heads of these players for more money it should be illegal.

But, unfortunately... on the other side of the coin, parents could be pimping out their children to other schools too.

The NIL is a mess, but how do you regulate it without interfering with the business model of making a living on your Name Image and likeness in a free market?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That’s a lot of words, my dude. I think the market will take care of itself. It only took A&M and Miami one cycle to realize they overpaid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... skip to the last 4 sentences, but yeah, eventually the NIL pay exceeds that player's worth.