Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Seaton on deck

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Kirby, Oct 21, 2023.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree, winning matters.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    First off, FSU is not an option for Seaton. This is not about UF vs FSU for a recruit.

Twitter means nothing. Recruits will say anything to increase their Twitter following. I believe Seaton did that tonight.

No one school will ever be the perfect combination of the things I laid out. It is often the best combination of a couple of them. @HisDoc included NIL, which I should have added. In that case, Bama and Oregon would seem to be at the top of Winning & NIL. Coaching is also important as recruits have relationships with and want to play for the coaches that recruited them.

There is also a question of who are recruits going to listen to? A fellow recruit that has never played college football or head coaches and position coaches that have been through 20+ recruiting classes? Could Lagway be the next Tebow? Possibly but how many highly touted, cannot miss QBs have not panned out over the last 15 years?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'd be more concerned if UGA was on that list. As it stands I feel that Bama has the biggest advantage all things stated. IMO UF has more than a decent shot , and would say right now only Bama is a better option to him if soley based in those things you stated. But he has kept his recruitment pretty close to the vest so we won't know till he announces. But I feel CBN has been working this one big time. Our tackle last turned out pretty well. While not exactly Saban level resume(who really compares?) CBN has had some success on the OLine

Ocyrus torrence had himself a pretty damn good college career on his way to being drafted by the Bills

• Like Like x 2
  4. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    So you specifically mentioned DJ and his relationship to Seaton and I asked why you think that matters versus the other considerations that I mentioned. That is the point I been trying to make is that recruits are often more impacted by coaching staffs than fellow recruits.

What success did UF have at OT last year? If you meant Torrence, he was an OG.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    You sure do seem to be trying to sell us on why he won't pick UF. Which I get seeing as you're a Nole.

Either way, like I said of those 7 I like our chances over as much as any in that group of finalist aside from Bama. I would even be more concerned if FSU was in that group. But maryland, is the hometown school, Oregon and Colorado (are just window dressing, a trend if you will) ohio state has decent shot, especially if they kill it on the official, but ultimately i think they sit 4th , Tenn is a wild card amd has a chance, but I'd sit them at 3rd IMO , with UF and Bama the remaining 2. Only NIL and the allure of Bama I believe stand in our way (as of now).

I Really never like our chances against Bama but never know.

If we come with a legit NIL offering, UF is an attractive destination. I'm not saying we have the best chances but we definetly are a player.in this Seaton Game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything other than the idea of how much a relationship with one recruit is going to have a significant impact on another recruitment. Which seemed to be your original premise.

I can see the argument for UF in this recruitment. I can see the argument against it. I really do not see DJ Lagway as having a significant impact due to the other factors that have been previously mentioned. If you had to choose between trusting DJ or Saban, Day, etc on how your college career will turn out, who would you choose to listen to?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    At 17 or 18, I listened to my peers and not my parents or coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    That is fair. But did you ever have Nick Saran in your living room telling you why you should listen to coaches versus your peers? Do you think if you had, it might have been different from listening to your parents or high school coaches?

I think this part of the reason the mythical package deal in recruiting very rarely actually occurs. Two peers want to play together but then family and coaches explain why it might not be in their best interests. Then you have household name coaches come in and say “Well, let me tell you about X and Z that decided to play together and how that worked out.”

We also forget that there are coaches being played millions of dollars just because they are so good at recruiting. They are getting paid to make recruits listen to them over their peers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  9. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    If Nick Saran was in my living room Id wonder who the hell is this guy and why is he in my living room.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Because you’d be blinded by alll the sparkling off his championship rings?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Were your peers offering millions dollars in NIL and an oppprtunity to plug into a well developed system that plays for the ncaa championship every year and is a pipeline to putting you into the NFL? I want Seaton on our team more than virtually any other player, but let’s be honest. We have an uphill battle, unless he has a strong desire to ‘build something special at UF’. Not sure of how many 17-18 year olds have legacy building in mind vs a quick, easy, and early payday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Until we can consistently protect our QB we'll be mediocre.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    OSU and Bama consistently win. When you consistently win it helps. I’d like to be wrong but I’d say we are third. Again, hope I am wrong.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    And also until we don’t have a terrible D. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm supposed to be on a self imposed hiatus from all of this misery but I saw this comment and had to remind people that aTm recruited without winning anything. Georgia had always recruited well but started their ridiculous run in recruiting prior to winning much of anything significant. Same for Saban and Bama. Auburn and Miami are pulling top end recruits. Fsu lured top end portal players on the back of 4 losing seasons. Our own urban Meyer pulled in Percy and company off of mediocre years.

Programs pay. They paid before it was legal and they are paying now. Records don't matter as much as people think.

"Great recruiters" have always been somewhat of a farce. Sure there is some salesmanship but the most important thing is how much a school and program are willing to skirt rules to bring in talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Perhaps you missed that part of the season when the Gator defense was on the field, because with even a average defense Florida wins 2-3 more games this season....despite its offense with its poor OL play....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    DeBoer in year two at Washington and not in recruiting hotbed and winning.

See below, all those talking about NIL, hmmm, kids want to win.
    From Nick DaLaTorre:

Etienne met with Napier on Tuesday for a lengthy meeting. Were told that went well but I think it's

50-50 with him to stay or hit the portal.

I was told tonight that NIL money isn't a driving factor. He wants to win.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. toprowgator

toprowgator All American

Jun 24, 2019
    That would have made us 7-5/8-4. Still mediocre. Imagine an average defense and Mertz having another second or so to throw every play. 9-3/10-2 maybe?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    That's fantastic! Now maybe he can do his part by learning to block more effectively and not get his QB killed. Heck at least be a speed bump to slow the blitzer down.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I'm hearing him and EW3....Sunday.