Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: There's a major hurdle for Will Muschamp to overcome in 2019

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Feb 8, 2019.

1. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    How did they treat Spurrier? I don’t recall them treating him badly, to be honest, but I may be missing something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Muschap Sucks

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm talking about the people from USCe on all the other free sites ... Not the school...

4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Article mainly addresses schedule and doesn’t mention the mental hurdle that is Muschamp. Dude has a block that keeps him from evaluating his program on a big picture level. S&C injuries, roster management issues, and overall team building. I don’t see him coaching better at SC as I see the same issues that were quickly evident here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Right- and you Ha ha'd at my post also. I guess using actual words was beyond your abilities.

But if you could have actually found some words to post, perhaps you would have asked why I said Muschamp was liked and respected by the people around him.
    I would have answered- look at the evidence.

Foley loved the guy- he was about in tears when he fired him.
    And Spurrier was the one who led the charge for WM to be hired at USCe.
    SOS is so honest and has such high character- no way he goes to bat for WM without a lot of respect for him.

So I'm not sure what you are laughing at, but the evidence shows that, for whatever reason, the adults around WM like and respect him.

NOW- I never said he was a good/ great coach, and I never said I respected his football coaching.
    I SAID I was so happy he wasn't our coach any longer.

I'm not sure that drew the response from you. You should really look at the evidence!

And look how our AD felt about Mac. He couldn't wait to get rid of him. Despite 2 SEC E titles and a strong incoming recruiting class.
    It's quite a contrast to how WM was treated.

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

A different AD was the biggest difference between how/when WM was fired vs. how/when Mac was run off.

7. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    FYI Spurrier wanted to retire after the 14 season but Tanner talked him out of it. I understand Tanner pointed to the USC assistants and appealed to SOS's loyalty to them.
    At least 1 assistant was Spurrier's son, and that son had a son (Spurrier's grandson) who was in HS.
    It's possible that this was also a factor in getting SOS to stick around- the appeal to family and his son and Spurrier's grandchildren.
    (I don't know this part but it makes sense.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    While I agree with you, it's still clear to me that WM was personally respected, while Mac was not.
    I doubt that Spurrier was lobbying for Mac at any job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Not really. I dont want to waste my abilities on an 'never was' ex coach that 99% of posters, fans, players, coaches, sportscasters..... wont to forget ever stepped into BHG stadium. My time is much,much, much, much, much ........too valuable. And this subject is older that a pic of that astronaut landing.

BTW nothing on you. My venom is all on MusCHUMP.

10. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    He is a decent coach. Not good enough to get the UF job but that was not his fault but Foley's. Luck has never been Muschamp's strong suit as well. It is funny but great coaches seem to have a lot better luck.

11. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The difference was Mac quit, Muschamp did not. And I’m not a Muschamp apologist. His tenure was every bit the cluster Mac’s was. I’m torn on who was worse... but I give Muschamp the slightest of an edge over Mac only because he fought his way to the finish line. Mac simply quit.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I cannot disagree with any of this

13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Great fans, I agree...but attendances is down almost 5k per game at Williams-Brice from Spurrier's hay day. (82,000 down to 77,000)
    It dropped this season again (after a one year spike).
    We had like a zillion game sellout streak before Muschamp showed up.

Dude has a very boring product that loses games. That is a terrible combination for ticket sales.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Will is a good guy. I like him. But he is the exact same coach that he was at UF. Look no further than the game with us. He puckered up and pooped an egg. Just like when he was here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Counterpoint: I don’t think Muschamp would lose to Ga. Southern today. So either he’s improved a little, or that Ga. Southern game was such an epic failure that nobody, not even the worst coach, could do it twice.

So......what was my point....

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Count me in as one who didn't like Muschamp as a coach after his first press conference- during his honeymoon phase. And I'm usually the one drinking the Kool-Aid.
    I won't go into why- as you say it's not important. I wasn't the least bit surprised when he failed, though the 12 season made me doubt my initial dislike for him.

But I still find much to admire about the guy personally. Others must feel the same way. That was my only point.

I just don't think he's head coach material- obviously we agree there.

17. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    GoCocks, please oh please give WM a 10 year extension. I’d love to go back to the time where I chalked up the sc game as a win every year and we’re close to that time again.

I see that you’re trying to be diplomatic in what you say here on a Gator board but your words show how little You appreciate what SOS did for your 2nd tier program. That’s cool, he’s all ours anyway. As another poster has already said, you’ll NEVER have another coach as good as him. And yet you still bitch and complain about him. Enjoy the 4 or 5 wins every year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I’m sorry but this is a silly point you’re trying to make. Of course the administration didn’t publicly treat him badly. What administration in the history of firings has ever treated an outgoing coach badly? Heck UF still paid ole shark humper a boatload of money when they could have just fired him for cause and fought the predictable lawsuit that would have followed.

The treating SOS badly post was obviously directed at the jerk fans that are so idiotic that they come to UF boards and complain and bad mouth the most revered coach in Gator history.

• Winner Winner x 1