Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: Lane Kiffin praises Tennessee's 'grand slam' hire of former Georgia OC Jim Chaney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well, we actually were. Crazy as Voldaddy is, the guy was right when he pointed out that the flag atop the goalpost blew right after the kick was launched, and the ball barely missed in that direction.

God smiled on the Gators

2. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Funny you mention the TEs. That's been a pretty big knock on him how he has underutilized the TEs in the offense. That and his pathological avoidance of screens and toss plays.

And on Fields...if he were good enough to beat out Fromm he would have been playing more. Was he not picking up the offense as well? Probably not. But that's not really uncommon for a freshman. I think Fields thought he could come in and take the job from Fromm and when it became obvious that he probably would not he chose to look elsewhere. Don't really fault him for that.

I agree that improving on what he did won't be easy and the measure for Kirby will be in the results down the road and not at the press conference once he ultimately picks a guy. Does it carry a risk to move on? Sure. Same as it did to move on from Richt to Smart. But there is upside to be had and our ultimate success was limited by the liability that Chaney proved to be in multiple games per season. You saw what happened on the goal line in Jacksonville first hand. This happened the following week in Lexington. Kirby's reaction was telling.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    By that metric UF needs a new OC. We don't know what happened to TE play and why the few successful toss plays we ran were not followed by more toss plays. Do we change OCs?

Everyone knows Fields was encouraged by what was said during the recruiting process but once on board they weren't running two styles of practice to accomodate Fields. I don't know if that means Chaney was deficient or Fields unable to play a pro style where reads and accuracy are more important.

FWIW you had strong run offense, red zone offense, scoring offense. You may not get the same result with a new OC.
    College Football FBS Stats | NCAA.com

And I have no idea why you would pay an OL coach so much money. If an
    OL/AsstOC or something where he's been there for 10 years and your AD/HC want to reward longevity maybe. But man, that's risky imho. How can you then pay an OC or DC less than $1.5. You can't. But then how can you not pay OC/DC less than $2 million?

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    And we care about what the 5-7 head coach of a Florida directional school says about Tennessee ... why exactly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    There are very, very, very, very few certainties in this world. Lane Kiffin not ever being considered by UT for Head Coach is one of them though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    That part is easy. He's the best OL coach and recruiter in the country and Alabama was coming after him. You lock him up.

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Now that you mention it, I DO remember him

I can never eat blueberries again.

8. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I don’t think Charlie Weis and Kurt Roper are fools either.

Brent Pease - probably a fool.

Seems Chaney is at a minimum a pretty good OC. Hopefully Pruitt doesn’t get out of his way.

9. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    I think he'll never coach the gators as well.

10. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    He’s going to do well because as we know UT is about equal in terms of QB and OL play as Georgia and has at all times two of the highest rated backs in the country.

Lol.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Chaney is a good OC. How good, I can't say but you are doing something right if you play for an NC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sounds like the only one more happy than Lane are the Krispy Kreme donut shops in Knoxville

13. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
  14. nolancarey

nolancarey All American

Aug 16, 2009
    ...Says the person who thought the Franks thread was intended to bash Franks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not that this isn't more prevalent than I care to imagine, but it goes to telling a HS player how you see his journey at your school and not what he wants to hear and what you think you need to do to make him happy.

Being a part of a winning program should be all that matters. And I am not necessarily meaning winning it all.

16. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Stalker lol

Just ask me for my number next time

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Chaney certainly didn't set the world on fire in his first stint at UT, but my feeling is that UT's troubles during the Dooley era were on an inability to stop anyone on defense and recruiting. Perhaps Dools should have used the Kirby Smart/Saban recruiting methdology.

18. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Never buy what Mr Chaney is selling

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Chubb, Michel, Nauta, pretty good start. Almost hard not to be great with that offense.

I mean with Chubb and Michel were a great tandem. Can’t think of one better in the last 10 years.

Don’t forget pretty good receivers too. Too many forget Richt recruited pretty well.

20. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Great talent is part of of the equation but putting that talent in positions to be successful is equally so and that's what the good play calling can do. Discounting all of it to just excellent recruiting means any play caller would be take them to the national championship game. With Dan Mullen calling the plays for Urban Meyer we won two National Championship. IMHO when Dan left our offense went with him! Dan's play calling had a lot to do with our success not just great talent.

• Winner Winner x 1