Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: Lane Kiffin praises Tennessee's 'grand slam' hire of former Georgia OC Jim Chaney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jan 10, 2019.

1. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

I read somewhere that Georgia is going to make Pittman the highest paid OL coach in history ~ $1.5M/year deal.

2. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Sour Grapes???

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

. . . . and Tennessee probably should have beaten us in 2015 when they missed 2 FG in a row at the end of the game.

4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    I believe we will beat Tennessee but it will be a much harder fought and closer game than last year. I don't ever want to lose to them because I'll miss the hilarious videos by BigDaddyVol!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Everyone but Fromm has left

He leaves as a junior imo

7. GatorChoice

I don't know that I'd go so far as "probably" - those FG's were from 55 yards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. drcgator

drcgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2017
    This is the best description of Chaney I have read. Spot on. He was also greatly aided by a defense that enabled them to get up early and then milk the run -- when plans had to change the OC rarely had an answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well my friend, there was a lot more to that game than those two missed FGs. I remember standing in Sec 21 and saying to my sister "I can't believe we're actually in a position to win this game". . . .that was right before the Grier to Callaway TD. We looked like crap most of that game. Two years later, also in The Swamp, it took the hail Mary from Feleipe to Cleveland with no time left in the game to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    About him leaving? No way. I haven't talked to a single UGA fan that is anything other than encouraged by the potential for our offense under another coordinator. The misuse of Fields has been well documented, but the same has been true as well for Fromm. He is deadly running RPOs and HUNH, but we refused to do it unless we were in a 2 minute scenario.

Definitely some sour grapes about the dud games though. The LSU one this year was particularly inexplicable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    No one else took that as Kiffin making a food joke? Not a lot of Denny’s fans anymore I guess?

He’s a master Twitter troll.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    The Dawgs thought they should beat Texas and it was in the bag, but Texas brought it and wanted it more. Their entitled fans had a sour taste in their mouth from being humiliated. It was not Chaney's best day but I think Kirby's conservatism on offense influenced him. The problem the Dawgs have is that they most likely promote their Co-OC, James Coley who used to call the plays for the Hurricanes. It is not exciting Dawg fans due to his lackluster results there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Good luck with James Coley calling the plays.

14. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    An ant "should" never win a quarrel with a boot...its just how it is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Respectfully....youre not going to have to worry about misusing Fields this year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorChoice

I don't disagree with you there - we were more than fortunate to win both of those games. It just seemed like you were referring specifically to the FGs as if we were lucky they were missed.

17. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    True enough. The upside to him leaving is that we can finally stop seeing him having to be force fed into a game and having it take the #3 QB in the country (in terms of passing efficiency) out of the game at random spots.

Hope he enjoys his time at Ohio State, but I'm thankful for the guy we have.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree we were lucky to win those games and if all things were the same we would have to be nervous going against Tennessee but next year is a new set of circumstances, new players, new schemes and what happened in those games has nothing to do with how close the game will be. Everything is new.

19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I think Fromm is fantastic. I will be curious to see if he leaves after next year

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You seem predictable. If Cheney were still your OC and a thread here detailing his inadequacies you would counter with some posts and stats then end with something close to "besides, he really nailed it with those deadly passes to TEs". You would also tell us that everyone you talked to "inside the program" said Fields wasn't getting the offense and expected PT regardless of his grasp of Cheney's advance scheme concepts. Every appearance ends with the intimation all is well.

Ok, Cheney was good>pretty good> very good but not perfect- no assistant is. The problem with replacing him is finding one that does everything Cheney already does well while improving where Cheney might have been lacking. That's not easy. More than likely your next OC has weaknesses, misses opportunities, has bad days. Yes, you would like to think your next OC will be Cheney and then some but that's a tall order.

You might want me to believe losing your OC is "good riddance" but I don't see any evidence your HC was disappointed. If Smart was aware and either going to manage Cheney differently or replace him Fields would likely not have transferred. It tells me your HC doesn't agree with you, did not see it, or was unsure how to correct it.

Bad idea. Which assistant or coordinator is going to take less- DL coach, DC, OC? The Texas debacle tells me he needs to give some of his money back to the program.

Rushing Yards 72
    Rushing Attempts 30

How much will the DL, DC, OC make? This is an event that could cause some locker room difficulties among their staff.

Back in the day, at the end of some games or end of every season many fans voiced criticism of Steve Spurrier. They wished for more because he wasn't perfect. Well, you see what happened to us. It's never easy to replace a coordinator that's always good and usually very good.