Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: Lane Kiffin praises Tennessee's 'grand slam' hire of former Georgia OC Jim Chaney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. UGator

UGator Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Chaney looks like he's been in too many eating contests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    LK just trying ingratiate himself to the AD so his name is back in the mix for the next round of "as UT coaching world turns" which is undoubtedly sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Pensacola
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    It's more about respecting what they can do when they put it altogether, I watched them upset Auburn and Kentucky. In those games they not only won but were the more dominant team.To the unbiased eye their QB is a leader and not half bad. Their recruiting class has been good at #14 nationally according to ESPN. Chaney will do a much better job on offense than last year. IMO Pruitt's defense will be improved too. They shouldn't be overlooked or underestimated by us. It's good we've got them in the Swamp this season

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Totally agree @SavageGator . Consider what happened after we were predicting #32 in a row back in September. Never take these teams lightly, and Tennessee is certainly no exception

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Based on what? There's a reason their old OC is now a head coach and chaney made a lateral move. Not to mention he was already terrible there once (with arguably more talent) did nothing at arkansas or pitt and underachieve at uga.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We should donate to them Cheesburger's reinforced cooler as a goodwill gesture

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Well, let's see in 2016 the Dawgs with him calling plays won the SEC and was National Champ-runner-up. Bama barely beat them. Even in a down year with a young team in 2018 Georgia won 11 games. I'm sure you've done more research on Chaney than I have so maybe I'm wrong and you're right and they'll suck on offense like last year.

10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Let's not underestimate him just because he makes cheeseburger Charlie look anorexic. Anything that is disruptive to uga is good for us. In the near term uga is standing between us and Atlanta, time to knock them off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    It's not a lateral move. Tennessee offered Chaney a whole lot more money. Plus, if the rumblings about UGA locker room issues are true, he might have figured it was a good time to jump off a sinking ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Pensacola
    On any given Saturday any team can upset another team . It’s not that I don’t think it can happen I think it is highly unlikely
    I do not see at any level from coaching all the way to special teams where Tennessee has an advantage on us
    That’s not disrespecting Tennessee
    That’s just an objective look at the facts and history of the rivalry

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    If we went by history, we would've beaten Kentucky this year and the Noles would've gone to a bowl.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Well in fairness, UK probably should have beaten us in our last 2 visits to Lexington as well.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    With a significant talent advantage over almost every school he played, which won't be the case at UT. He may do fine, but I just don't see how this is some automatic upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    Maybe you should read more about Chaney's accomplishments.
    Stealing Jim Chaney from Georgia was a major coup for Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee

Stealing Jim Chaney from Georgia was a major coup for Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Read his bio

Didn’t know he trained Kobayashi the proper way to eat hot dogs

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Also says that Pruitt may be a meddling defensive minded coach and needs to let Chaney have control of offense.

As we know it’s tough to change that habit.

19. SavageGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    I'll bet Pruitt is like Muschamp who claims he never meddled but I'll bet Chaney wouldn't have come if he didn't have complete control. I don't think he's a fool.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Chaney as OC at UGA was really good if you discount the 2016 season. Once the talent on the OL sorted itself out and we had Chubb and Michel back as seniors the offense started to hum. But even then there were still issues. You guys remember the goal line debacle in Jacksonville, right? That happened more than once (not with the additional plays from the penalty like we had against you, but you get the point). He would have stretches of games where he would look brilliant, and then he would have a dud where there is literally nothing done right. The calls would become predicable, when Plan A fails to work there is no Plan B to fall back on and we would get rolled (see @LSU in 2018, @Auburn in 2017, almost all of the 2016 season). And then there was his use of Fields. There was no rhyme or reason. Some games it would appear we had a specific package for him and others it was clear he was just there to try and run for a 1st down. Play in, play out. I'm not at all saying he should have played over Fromm, but the way we used him was just dumb.

Tennessee, IMO, overpaid for their 4th option at OC (behind Briles, Freeze & Yurcich).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1