Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: How Florida closed the gap on Georgia and Alabama with a strong Signing Day finish

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by SavageGator, Feb 6, 2019.

1. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    Lol....I can relate

Your guess is as good as mine on the fake punt. There are times as a fan of a team where there is internal disagreement on a given call. But this is one of those calls where we are universally still trying to figure out what in the hell he was thinking. It's a decent play and idea in a vacuum (Kirby stole the play from Richt, who ran it successfully against Alabama in the 2012 SEC Championship Game), but in that spot I still don't see how a rational person thought that was a good idea. He's said after the fact that there was an alignment move Alabama made at the last minute that covered up a guy that was wide open pre-snap, but even then once they made their move someone on our sideline should have called a TO to reset.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010

On 4th and 4...maybe...but you better have major league stones to go there a la Spurrier but 4th and 12...thats just flat out stupid. On your best day thats a 5% chance of conversion. Its not like Georgias defense wasnt playing well either. That play was most likely the most stupid play call in a championship game ever and Im not sure someone could beat it. You can only hope the coach learned a lesson from it.

3. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    Agree all around. In that spot, from that distance, with that much time remaining in the game.....no way you pull that. You kick it deep, plan on your defense holding and at worst play for OT where they have a crappy kicker and we have Rod.

4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't mind the fake punt, even in unusual circumstances. Gator fans will remember we ran a fake on 4th and 12 deep in our own territory in the 2006 SEC Championship Game.

The head-scratching element of that play for me was putting Fields in the punt formation. If you're going to do that, it needs to be something you run out there every few games just to get it on film - Fields in the punt formation, but a straight-forward punt, so you can't necessarily key on that as a fake. Sticking your back-up quarterback and the most hyped freshman in America out there in that circumstance is like erecting a giant neon sign that says "WE'RE GOING TO RUN A FAKE PUNT!"

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Junior

Jan 10, 2014
    North Mississippi
    Dumber than Bama's fake field goal against Clemson?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not piggy backing on anything and watch your mouth. I recommend you refrain from poor mouthing, talking down, and trying to run us down with your back handed swipes. This board does not need your input.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    :rolleyes:

I'm fine with rationally talking about everything, but if you want to try and rib me about a game I'm going to give it back.

It's all in good fun though and at the end of the day we're talking about a game that we all enjoy. Don't let it get you so worked up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Folks......hate to burst anyone's bubble - but look at the score:

[​IMG]

Until this result changes.....we cannot assert we are the big dog here......no pun intended.

Let's get a win - and then do some trash talkin'.......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Uga, it pains me to agree with you, but I thought the same thing as you when I saw the title. The Georgia recruiting class was one of 2 or 3 that were head and shoulders above everyone else in the ncaa. So unless you’re bama or a&m you didn’t close the gap with Uga on NSD.

I do think the Gators are going to end up catching the dawgs the same way SOS did. By also putting a lot of really good players on the field with yours, we haven’t done that for a few years, and then we’ll out coach you.

Congrats on the signing day haul of BC players. I’m happy with ours and am even happier with the direction our football program is headed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010

We can always rely on the fact weve won several championships and too many to count SEC championships and Georgia has basically none since the middle ages. They can win all the head to heads they want and we can win all the championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I guess my point was....we lost our last game together. And the one before it.

As much as I agree that we Gators have much to brag about - or be proud of - with our past success - I'm not sure I feel very superior unless we are beating them on the field - which we aren't as of late.

This thread wasn't even about all of that anyway but as usual things get into a pissing match and all meaningful discussion goes out the window.....:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    We did, the law of diminishing returns. We got stung last year because we lacked depth at corner. You play 22 guys with another 20 or so getting playing time. The difference between the top recruits isn't that big, just make sure you get enough quality depth. The gap has closed it wasn't that big to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

On the other hand, he’s over here. A credible rival poster by my standards, but we aren’t rolling over to anybody. We can still bite back

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We were without Marco and Chris for UGA game. Think we play much better against UGA next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Senior

Sep 18, 2015
    It's cool to have a rival fan chime in on our board. Seriously. Meaningful insights and perspective. Keep em coming.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. tigator2019

tigator2019 Sophomore

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    How Florida bested NC Clemson in recruiting

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We have usually beat Clemson in the rankings. Posted a while back that over the last 5-6 years we average 10 and they average 11.

Where they excel is high quality QB play and keeping their staff together. Bama has had the #1 recruiting class for like the last 10 years and lost. Bama also had a bunch of coaching turnover as well.

Seems the evidence points more toward coaching stability that #1 recruiting classes, but it sure doesn't hurt!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I wish to say thanks for your approach and attitude on a rival board.

But, the whole debate was best summed up by SOS,"Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?" or more recently, "If talking mattered, Georgia would have beaten us a lot more."

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He’s a writer.....

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    True enough but Clemson is also trying to catch your guys in talent too.