Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SDS: How Florida closed the gap on Georgia and Alabama with a strong Signing Day finish

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by SavageGator, Feb 6, 2019.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    As far as I’m concerned Steele and Black are 5 stars.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Interesting that this writer thinks Diabate is the best player in the class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    The comments from the Georgia fans are hilarious. There are some level headed Tennessee fans (crazy right) but also some dumb ones. The author is using the metric of % of players that are blue chip (4 or 5 star recruits). Georgia is at 78%, we wen from 40%-58%.

What those idiots from Georgia don’t realize is it’s not just the recruiting class... It’s the transfers. When Vam Jefferson, Shuler, Greenard, and (hopefully) Grimes (next year since he didn’t do much this year) come in with talent and experience as a transfer, they play better than the 20 freshman and sophomore 5 stars of Georgia that are still long in the tooth.

They also act like they’ve owned us for 20 years. They beat us twice. Yes they probably beat us on the recruiting trail 18 of those 20 years, but that has never translated in the head to head matchup until Mcelfart became our leader

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the thing about this article that makes people on our side snicker just a little bit is just the implication of the headline that the talent level (just from a recruiting ranking standpoint) is close. Did Florida gain more talent this year? Absolutely. But there is a pretty wide gap, especially with top end players, that is going to take years of Florida recruiting better than they even did this year to overcome. We're going to go into the 2019 season without Florida having a single 5* player on the roster. We'll have 17 from the past 4 classes combined (13 from the past two).

Do those star rankings guarantee wins? Of course not. But it's a good indicator of overall talent and gives our side much more flexibility with the guys we have to plug and play with starters and have a less pronounced drop off with injury situations than teams that haven't recruited at the level we have in the past 4 cycles.

At the end of the day though it's all just talk. We're obviously going to think we have the better team and you guys will think the same for your side. None of it really matters at this point. We'll just have to wait until October to see how it all shakes out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What do you mean, your side? Are you comparing yourself with Alabama? I snicker at your snickering. In fact, I think we all do.

You've had a great two-year run and your incoming class is outstanding, but Florida has been where you are. We are no stranger to finishing the top of our conference. We are no stranger to top-5 recruiting classes. We have seen them pan out. Georgia went 3-0 versus Florida's top-5 recruiting classes from 2011 to 2013. The ones that we built on winning national championships. So whatever "gaps" you feel you need to win games, we probably have a better idea of how fragile that is than you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. supduc

supduc Freshman

Nov 30, 2016
    I think this is the real point here. Under McElwain, our BlueChip percentage dropped to around the mid 30s, which is horrendous for us. Not only was the talent being under-developed and under-conditioned, but the drop off in depth was abundantly clear when playing big programs. We still suffered from the residual effects of that low BC% this year when CJ Henderson went down and UGA learned they could pick on McWilliams, it transformed the game and UGA capitalized on it.

You definitely need some standout players on a team, but a high BC % is the biggest correlation between being able to consistently compete. We aren't fully there yet, but the holes are being plugged and quality depth is being added.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I see your point and agree with you. The talent the dawgs are bringing in their recruiting class is better than ours. We are filling some gaps with p players from division 1 that have been tested and passed. Is it ideal? No. But what is a Greenard worth to a school that just lost Polite? What is a Braun worth (fingers crossed) to an offensive line that just lost 4 offensive linemen? There aren’t many Alex Leatherwood type talents, even among the 5 stars, that can start right away 1st game freshman year. So are they stop gaps? Yes. But we know they will perform well in Division 1 right away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. upstategator

upstategator Senior

Nov 1, 2017
    Mullen doesn't need to match talent to beat uga, he can beat them with lesser talent as long as its within a reasonable margin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    What you studiously ignore is the role that coaching plays in winning. You dawgs just lost your OC and DC with questionable replacements. Just like the players you lost to transfer and the draft. Keep telling yourself it's no big deal. I doubt that many other people buy that there won't be a drop-off..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    I do agree that Tucker is a loss. Great coach. Great recruiter.

I'm less troubled by Chaney leaving. Losing a co-coordinator (who also coached the TEs) is not as big of a deal to me when the other co-coordinator (and Fromm's position coach) is able to slide in and take over.

We'll again have to wait to see what, if any, drop off there is.

12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, that TE position was deadly for you last two times your team played the Gators. Now it's our turn to take that advantage. Are Swift, Cook and White the backs you have for next year? They should be stout, but your what about your receivers?

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How many 5 star players did Texas field?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    How did this work out for those 17 5 star players...Justin Fields #1 overall recruit for two yards and the transfer portal.

....then came the Longhorns.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    To me that’s the most interesting position group on our team going into 2019. We lose a lot of snap experience with Ridley and Mecole leaving, but we bring back Fromm’s top target (Holloman), former 5* Demetris Robertson, Tyler Simmons and (assuming he qualifies) the highest rated WR we have ever signed in George Pickens. There are also several former blue chip players on the roster (Kearis Jackson and Tommy Bush especially) coming off redshirt years that should be able to contribute as well.

On paper, which is all we have at this point in the calendar, it’s a more talented group. But it’s definitely light on experience. How that all manifests itself is anyone’s guess.

16. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    Didn’t work out well for us at all.

But thanks for the reminder that you have had to try and piggy back off someone else’s wins the past few years. ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The article is not wrong. There is still a sizable gap but we went up +11 blue chips on the roster. While UGA & Bama went +6 & +7 respectively. If we add the elder Braun via transfer it will put our roster 55% BC. We are still one more class away from the 60%+ range.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Youve got to realize that weve had 8 years of pain around here and weve been a bitter group. However what the HELL was Kirby thinking? Conversion or not it was a horrible horrible call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    He was the best rush end and defensive player at his All Star game. Very quick off the edge and no one could stop him

• Like Like x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If we get 13 top 300 players every recruiting class and find a QB that is a difference maker, we will be just fine. Have to limit our coaching turnover as well

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1