Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SCOTUS says its alright to drop registered voters off rolls if they don't vote for 2 years...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Jun 11, 2018.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Supreme Court: Ohio can drop inactive voters from registration rolls

June 11 (UPI) -- In a move that could impact future elections, the U.S. Supreme Court said Monday the state of Ohio can continue its controversial practice of purging names from its voter rolls.

In a 5-4 vote, the court said the practice, called "Supplemental Process," doesn't violate the National Voter Registration Act, which aims to prevent states from removing names from voter rolls if they don't actually vote.

Six other states -- Georgia, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania and West Virginia -- also purge inactive voters' names, but Ohio's is known as the most extreme.

Election officials in the state send address confirmation notices to voters who have not cast ballots for at least two years. If a voter responds, their information is updated and they remain on the list. If they don't, their name is removed.
    ----------------------------------

Not sure about the legal arguments here but Ohio having that strict 2 year rule to stay active in the voter rolls or requiring a response to stay on the rolls would cut down on some crooked voting practices by the leftists.

2 years is kind of extreme but I think a 5 year limit would be a good place to start with maybe a requirement for the response request to be sent to the most recent address in the DMV file also if it differs from the one listed in their voter registration records.

This may come in handy for Pennsylvania with Trump but not sure what their rules actually are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I read where they are removed from the voter roll if they fail to return the mailer AND fail to vote in the following four years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That's rather shameful IMO. 2 years is ridiculous since alot of people don't vote in mid-term elections - actually very few people DO vote in mid-term elections - the last turnout number was 36.9% in 2014. Even 5 years seems rather low, you can make a case for 10 years or something along those lines. If a person hasn't voted in 10 years they are probably either not participating or deceased or whatever.

4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    what is dropping them after two years supposed to accomplish, other than making sure fewer people can vote?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Sotomayer playing the race card again. Predictable.

I personally wouldn't do 2 years, but I remember when driver licenses were renewed every four years. If you didn't renew, it expired. Seems here all you have to do is fill out the form and send it back. Shouldn't be a problem if you want to vote.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    Articles about cases leading to this ruling says its just 2 years like this article.. I wonder how the Democrats are going to make sure they keep all the homeless registered. Maybe have their address listed at certain shelters where they can make sure they get them the response letter. :D

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It's not 2 years, it's 4 years with a notice after 2 years. So you don't vote in an election, two years later you get a notice. If you have not voted in that next 2 year election or the subsequent one, you get purged. So you don't vote in 3 successive elections or any interim off cycle ones.

Supreme Court rules in favor of Ohio 'voter purge'

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I would have to see the numbers but I think just over the 4 year mark would be a good number. Not really sure how often an inactive voter just suddenly votes for a Democrat after many years then a check shows the person that voted absentee had actually been deceased for years. I know in Nevada they caught people voting for the Democrat using their address with absentee ballots and the family members had been dead for years.

9. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    So its effectively just over 4 years looking at that?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    While I don't disagree as to the seemingly (lack of) difficulty to comply with the law (filling out and returning a card), let's not forget that while obtaining a drivers license is a privilege, voting is a right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I just wish they would drop the dead voters off the rolls. They seem to be heavily Democrat.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007

The State can not deny you a license to drive unless there is just cause. Same with voting. Voting is actually more restrictive when you factor in 16 is the age to drive, 18 to vote, felons can drive but they can't vote, etc.

13. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007

As long as send the notice back though, you are still registered and not purged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Voting doesn't require a proficiency test and drivers licenses aren't referenced in 4 or 5 amendments to the Constitution. They are purely a matter of state law.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Hey SCOTUS has spoken. It is the law, no more to see now.
    (Isn't that what some on the left say about social issues like abortion.) ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007

The premise is the same. Argue with someone else about it. If we truly treated voting as a right like the first and fourth amendments, we wouldn't have to REGISTER to vote to begin with.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    They sure get away with a lot in those administrative hearings to revoke licenses. Some of those make a mockery of even civil law.

18. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Probably closer to six years, depending on when the elections officials send out the notice.

From the syllabus accompanying the SCOTUS decision:

Edit: The majority opinion mentions the six year time frame:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Maybe it should. Perhaps we wouldn't end up with the shill vs the chump:ninja2:

20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Seems reasonable to me. If you haven't voted in six years, it's not particularly surprising that you would need to re-register.

• Agree Agree x 2