Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scottie Scheffler arrested this morning

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 17, 2024.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Did the following happen? A guy who is not readily identifiable as a cop approaches Scotty’s vehicle. Scotty rolls the window down and the guy reaches in and grab Scotty by the arm and tries to pull open the car door. Scotty stops the vehicle but it rolls another car length or, possibly, up to two car lengths. Did Scotty just commit a felony? Did the cop just commit a felony? Regardless, my description above seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of what happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think those are facts. There will be a video released shortly, hopefully it will answer all the questions.

3. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    If it had been some random black guy instead of Scheffler, there are several on this board that would have been OK with the cop shooting him.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. Last night was my first ever Korean Barbecue Chicken experience. We did NOT get along well.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
  6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Any idea as to the facts?

7. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    For a pretty big deal, there aren't many witnesses to this. Unless I see something to the contrary, I'm relying on the recitation of events by the ESPN guy in post #117. He doesn't have the cop reaching into the car to grab Scheffler until after he was "transported" 30 feet. I have no interest in whether they charge him or not. When I see these things on TH, I automatically put on my old State Attorney's Office Intake (charging decision) hat and look at them from that perspective. If this came across my desk, it was that driving 30 feet with the cop attached part I would take the closest look at. Absent that, it's a famous guy in a hurry and a cop having a bad morning, likely not worth the energy.

8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I was assuming that the attached to the car part was that the cop had his arm through the window. Maybe he got hit by the car and was on the hood for the 30 feet. I also thought that it was 5-10 yards. Five yards wouldn’t by more than a car length. We will see. Maybe Scottie tried to kill the cop so that he could get rid of the pressure of playing in these tournaments for the rest of his life.

9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I agree if the random black guy had about a dozen previous arrests, was acting confrontational and pulled something out of his glove box that resembled a weapon. I think a white guy under those same circumstances would be asking for it too. Get real man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I've told this story on too hot before and I am not trying to make any kind of point but I was doing an inspection in Islesworth when I worked for Orange County and I was with the contractor and a security guard. A black sports car blew by us at an incredibly high speed. I looked at the security guard and asked "I thought you guys kept tight security around here". He answered "That is Tiger, he does what he wants around here".

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    The report I saw said the video only reflected what happened after the incident. Don't think it had field of view of the incident itself

12. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Take a nap.

13. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Was that the video from a camera supposedly across the street?

14. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Prosecutor was all over the place here IMO.

15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    They take their arraignment seriously there. Requiring the defendant's physical presence? 98+% of my arraignments are handled by filing a written plea.

16. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I didn’t read the filings but the judge said in response to the prosecutor’s initial comments that she didn’t think the defense was even asking the Court to waive his personal appearance. Defense counsel confirmed and said he was requesting a continuance of the date only. The prosecutor then cited what I think was a case, which defense counsel argued was about waivers of personal appearance and nothing to do with continuances.

Court allowed the continuance.

I felt like the prosecutor wanted it to be super clear that their office isn’t giving this pro golfer special treatment. But he seemed confused or ineffective to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Without knowing, I'm going to guess that was the elected prosecutor who came down from his ivory tower to handle a high profile case. Likely doesn't appear in court very often.

18. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I was wondering about that too but too lazy to dig deeper lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Thanks for posting. It can be interesting to watch something you are not well versed in like a legal proceeding.

Really weird the prosecutor was so defiant in forcing Scheffler back for tomorrow? Guy just had a baby and while I might be wrong. I don’t see much coming of this case when it is all said and done. And it has nothing to do with Scottie being the world number 1. It has to do with chaos and confusion and the reality it is very unlikely Scottie Scheffler decided to intentionally take a cop for a ride in his marked car provided for him.

Felt like this should have taken 30 seconds but the prosecutor decided to ramble for no reason…

20. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, that's who it was.

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- After an unusual and contentious court hearing Monday morning, a judge overruled County Attorney Mike O'Connell and allowed a delay in the arraignment of world No. 1 golfer Scottie Scheffler on felony assault of a police officer and other charges from Tuesday to June 3."

"Attorney Steve Romines, who is representing Scheffler, said he had scheduling issues requiring the delay. Scheffler is expected to have to attend the arraignment because he is charged with a felony."

In a rare personal appearance during an arraignment scheduling matter, O'Connell vigorously objected to the two-week delay, according to video of the impromptu court hearing obtained by WDRB News.

VIDEO | Top Louisville prosecutor fights delay of Scottie Scheffler's arraignment on felony assault charge

"First appointed in 2008, O’Connell was elected to the office of County Attorney in 2010 and re-elected in 2014, 2018 and 2022. Prior to becoming County Attorney, Mike served as both a District and Circuit Court judge before returning to private practice. He has served as a member of the Board of Governors for the Kentucky Bar Association and as a member of the association’s ethics committee."

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/county-attorney/county-attorney-mike-oconnell