Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scottie on ESPN 2 right now . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 12, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Hoops Summit game. . .

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Is the game still on? Your post is stamped at 8:15p, not sure if that is my time or S. Fla time? How did he do?

3. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Still on. He’s shown flashes but went off the rails during a few interchanges. The future Arizona PG got in his head.

• Like Like x 1
  4. UTGator

UTGator Junior

Oct 5, 2010
    What do you mean?

5. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie made guarding Nico Mannion, the number one PG in the nation, a personal challenge. They went back and forth a little with Scottie playing tight defense. Scottie reached in on Nico at one point and was called for a foul on three point shot (I don’t think it should have been called a shooting foul). Then a short time later Nico hit a three in Scottie’s face. Scottie, clearly not wanting Nico to get the better of him, then tried to press the issue and score immediately on the next possession and was stripped driving the ball when he shouldn’t have. Immediately after getting stripped he was playing defense on Nico by aggressively bodying him up and was called for a foul. You could see in his demeanor and actions that he’s lost his composure. Scottie was immediately benched and didn’t return to the game.

On the positive side he showed extreme quickness and athleticism, had a couple outstanding drives and finishes to the hoop, played great defense, and didn’t mope after being benched. He’s a great talent but there were other kids in this game that were a step above him and it seemed to me he pushed too hard at times to match and took himself out of his comfort zone/wheelhouse.

@akaGatorhoops or someone else may have a different interpretation of how he did. I also didn’t see the first quarter so there could have been a different set of play then.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nico was great last night, but he is considered the second best senior high school point guard behind Cole Anthony, who also played well. Personally, I think that the junior guard, Cade Cunningham, at Montverde, is the best high school point guard in the country. Scottie didn’t start, but he played well enough in the first half that he started the second half with, I believe, 4 of the original starters. Scottie did force a few drives where he turned over the ball, but he made several drives where he had sensational finishes at the rim. He missed the only outside shot that he took. He made only about half of his free throws. He played well on defense although Nico was practically unstoppable. He did a ton of talking on defense. He brought the ball up court on occasion and moved the ball efficiently. He helped the US team edge the world team.
    Scottie’s shot is better than it looked last night. He is a very unselfish player. He has great leadership skills. He should be an all-league defender from day one. He is going to score at the rim in our spread offense in addition to finding open teammates.

• Like Like x 2
  7. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    Cole Anthony was damn good. Would be phenomenal in White’s offense. I really hope he doesn’t go to UNC. Would rather see him out here in Oregon.

Edit: 247 has Nico as the top PG so it’s not a consensus. Both are phenomenal players.

8. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    That’s about what I saw as well.
    Someone on here made a comparison to Brewer - I’d say Scottie’s a bit more explosive , and has a better build to absorb contact. Similar in that they both have great straight line speed, but as the commentators pointed out, not too much “wiggle “ in their offensive game.

Corey had a way of rising to the occasion in big games.....

9. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    Mannion will be a popular choice for Pac-12 POY next year, so to see Lewis going after the best full-court says a lot. And it's not like he's prone to committing a bunch of dumb fouls in a regular game. In this game he knew his role was to harass defensively and bring energy. Here's Lewis with 2 highlights in this short video.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    Probably our best tournament player ever.

11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Behind Noah.