Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scottie Lewis returning to school

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by justinwitt07, Apr 6, 2020.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nembhard played 33 minutes per game all of which were at the point. So there was only 7 or so minutes of point guard time available to be split between Mann and Glover. That’s not enough minutes for either of them to settle in and play well. In the Vandy game, in which Glover got a substantial amount of playing time at the point, his +/- was way better than Nembhard’s.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why does this have to come down to Mike White? This is a personal decision based upon this player's assessment of his need to develop more. A lot of great players leave great coaches to go play in the pros every year!!! To inject some Mike White validation out of this decision is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

What are your statistics or references to support this contention that essentially Lewis is the rule and Beal is the exception??? I don't find that to be the case AT ALL. I have seen countless players reclassifying to play early at academic powerhouses like duke and North Carolina. So I am confused by your comments!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    All I can go on is what I saw with my eyes last season. Mann was definitely much improved by the end of the season. Would have loved to see him in the tournies. Glover had one good game and every other game he was a turnover machine. Without Nembhard last year we aren't a .500 team. Neither Mann or Glover was ready to be the starting PG last season. Next season, who knows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    To each his own. I'm ready for a PG who brings more athleticism (ability to create his own shot) and shoots the 3 at better than a 30% clip. That 30% was also on shots the defense conceded (gave lots of space), mind you. I think it will help with floor spacing, which was terrible last year. There were also far too many uneven performances from AN last year, often within the same game. One good half, one bad half. This often resulted in miserable scoring droughts.

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    As I said… Assigning it as an excuse is at your sole discretion. I’m just stating facts. You don’t become the 347th most experienced team simply based on the bench.

Donovan is quite the benchmark. I’d prefer we use... say, Mike Anderson. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 3
  7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know how we would have done without Nembhard, with the emphasis being on the don’t know. The 2 freshmen never got a chance. Glover was a really good point guard in high school on a really good team that played a tough schedule. His 48% 3-point shooting and 85% free throw shooting in his senior year of high school indicates that he greatly underachieved in those categories at UF. What we don’t know is how he would have done if handed the reins at UF. My guess is that he would have excelled. Mann would have had a sharper learning curve because he played the 3 in high school on a Villages team that did not play a strong schedule. The kid obviously has talent. Whether it’s best suited for the 1 or the 2 needs to be determined.

8. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    A more appropriate question at this point is whether PG duties can be handled next year by Appleby, Glover, and Mann. I think the answer is clearly yes, considering 2 years in the program for all 3 and the expected bump in performance from Fr to So seasons for Glover/Mann. It just seems to me that AN's style of play would be a complete deviation from the other 3. Admittedly, I'm ready for a different style of play at PG than what AN brings.

9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm with you. I want to see players moving, the ball moving, and a lot of screening on and off the ball. I also want to see us playing pressure defense all over the court. Finally, I want to see a lot of time given to players coming off of the bench.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    There are two issues here, in general. With AN we see the player and the ball not moving. With Glover we see the player with the ball moving too much but not enough passing. Either way the 2 PGs aren't moving the ball to other players enough because the plays aren't developing fast enough or the passing lanes are covered. Nembhard seems too patient and Glover is not patient enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    He was a freshman, yes, playing the toughest position on the court. But the tendency I noticed with Glover this season was, he is an impatient dribbler but conservative passer. Ball didn't stay in his hands long but he almost always opted for a safe, uncreative pass that put little to no pressure on the defense. Obviously hoping that will change next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Do we have enough scholarships if AN and KJ return?

13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    We will be at our limit of 13.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw VIP Member

Oct 30, 2013
    That is with Bassett leaving, correct?

15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, and Gak.

16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/13/search-an-edge-elite-basketball-prospects-are-repeating-grade-middle-school/?outputType=amp

How redshirting is changing H.S. sports

there must be a hundred articles in this subject. Here are two specific to DC and NJ sports. Where I live in South Florida a large number of black athletes are held back in middle school. This is viewed as their tick for a scholarship to college and a ticket out.

I’m not publishing a research paper or conducting statistical research, but this is happening in football and basketball with great regularity.
    Local parents hold their sons back for sports

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I’m with AKA about being excited for a second year redux with most of these guys returning if not all (that are eligible).

As I posted previously I would expect a solid club coming back.

23-8 solid heading into SEC’s.

• Like Like x 2
  18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Reclassifying trending up in college basketball, for better or worse

New twist on old recruiting trend: Numbers of early enrollees on rise

Early enrollment: more and more recruits on campus before Signing Day

I think there are articles that make that claim inconclusive at best. While there may be athletes who benefit from the extra year of academic nurturing and therefore come into the NCAA a year later, there appears to be an equal or greater number and certainly a trend of athletes that are not only elite physically but also academically who can finish HS requirements a year earlier than regular students can who are not involved in competitive sports.

Like you I am not a publishing or statistic company, but Mullen has made an effort to recruit players who can enroll on campus before their traditional graduation date.

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The safe, un-creative pass and lack of movement I"m not sure is on him. I think it's partly an issue with the offense we run. It's not like that's an issue unique to Glover. For whatever reason our offense just doesn't promote the type of ball movement that puts pressure on defenses and makes them scramble to cover guys. We did start showing signs of life with better ball movement later in the season, so hopefully it's a sign of everyone getting on the same page for next year.

As far as Glover, he's a pretty good driver with a quick 1st step, but he needs to work on those instincts for when to attack and when to find someone to pass to (and to make a good aggressive pass off those drives, putting pressure on the defense, like you say). Too many times he drove into trouble then made a horrible pass or literally just gave up the ball. Not too unusual for a freshmen to have these issues (most freshmen don't come in ready to start day 1), so he should be able to improve over the course of his career.