Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scottie Lewis returning to school

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by justinwitt07, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Best news I've heard in a LONG time!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    As long as Nembhard declares/moves on I would agree. If he comes back we will still have a ball-dominant PG and long, offensive droughts were the ball sticks in his hands far too much. He's been a really good player that carried us in a lot of games the past 2 seasons. I'm just ready to see this offense led by someone else. If White still desires the DDO, the pieces seem to be in place for that if you subtract Nembhard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Not as surprised as some but certainly happy and grateful!

Another year getting to watch that beautiful form on his outside jumper, blocks, steals, dunks and excitement.

KJ and Lewis make for some entertaining
    high flyers!

4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Graham Hall report in the Sun

Scottie Lewis is coming back to Florida and foregoing the 2020 NBA draft, the freshman wing announced on his Twitter account Monday.

Lewis, 20, averaged 8.3 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 30 games this season for Florida, including 20 starts, while consistently displaying the athleticism that earned him a five-star designation coming out of high school in New Jersey.

“Gator Nation, as you all know we have some unfinished business! Our season was cut short, and we were not able to complete our season that we were supposed to,” Lewis wrote on his Twitter account. “My dream of playing in the NBA is still a top priority, but my heart is in Gainesville! With that being said, I am more than happy to announce I’ll be returning for the 2020-21 season.”

Despite being projected by ESPN as a late first-round draft pick, Lewis wasn’t expected to be selected until the second round — if at all. Considering the coronavirus pandemic’s effect on the upcoming NBA draft schedule — all meetings and workouts will now be held virtually, if at all — Lewis’ decision allows him to return to the program and continue developing rather than risk possibly going undrafted due to unprecedented circumstances that would have limited him from improving his stock.
    Florida's Lewis returning for sophomore season

• Like Like x 2
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Always good to see Glover ignored.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Gatorbait33

Gatorbait33 Senior

Apr 1, 2012
    Just going off the information we have. I don't think White would bring in Appleby to not play real minutes as a RJR. Ques played sparingly towards the end of the season, only remember him getting 10+ minutes once or twice in the last ten games or so. I realize the same goes for Payne and Jitoboh but they are in the rotation for lack of alternatives.

7. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry he omitted your grandson.

• Funny Funny x 8
  8. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    That is great news...would love to see him pressing full court and sprinting up court on breakouts filling the wing and finishing with dunks and takes to the basket. He is so built for that style of play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s one of 3 grandsons of mine. In order of age, their names are Erving, Chris and Quez. You all can figure out their last names.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I agree.

I think this was a rational choice for Lewis. It wouldn't have been shocking either way, but as the season went on it felt like he probably needed another year to refine things. Plus with the way the season ended I bet that left a bad taste in ALOT of people's mouths. I guessed after the season/tournaments abruptly cut short there would be record numbers of "one and done's" coming back to college basketball just because of all the uncertainty. Not lottery picks, but guys who maybe aren't a lock and genuinely did want to go through the whole tournament experience. Obviously there are guys who make less rational decisions. So I'm glad Lewis is giving it one more year. I do like our lineup next year. High flyers everywhere.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    CMW had the excuse of all new players last year and needing time to figure them out. A lot more pressure on him this year with the absolutely sick amount of athleticism we have in Lewis, KJ and Duruji. Just sick athleticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Fantastic! We are going to be so athletic next year. Can't wait to see Scottie improve, and how he'll mesh with Appleby and Duruji

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t buy the excuse. He had 3 returning starters plus Blackshear and 2 McDonald’s AA’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I should say people gave him the excuse.

15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    wether or not you buy it as a viable excuse... the fact is, Florida was ranked 347th in the nation in “experience” by Kenpom.
    The obvious retort is that White constructed the team... so that’s on him.
    And it is.
    Still, being older and more experienced is something I look forward to watching.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I'll be equally ecstatic if Nembhard returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    When Nembhard took a seat, the dropoff on the floor was usually dramatic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    And yet, some people refuse to acknowledge this as it is counter to the narrative they have constructed. In no way shape or form is this team better without Nembhard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Interesting to read that Lewis is a 20 year old freshman. The practice in the black community to hold kids back for sports success is really interesting from a recruiting perspective, as they are truly men playing with boys in HS. You don’t know how much upside they have when 2-3 years older than other HS players. Especially true in football. Shows you how truly special Bradley Beal was as a 17 year old one and don freshman. Brad had 3-4 years in the NBA and was still younger than a lot of the college kids being drafted. Brad is only 26 now and has already played 8 NBA seasons.

• Informative Informative x 4
  20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    It was the bench that was inexperienced. Yes, 3 sophomores started, but they were all starting as freshmen. Donovan won a national championship with 4 starting sophomores. He also went to the national championship game in 2000 with freshmen and sophomores getting the bulk of the playing time. No excuses in this case from me. You’re free to give them to White if you so choose.

• Agree Agree x 1