Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Scott Stricklin

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tundragator, Dec 7, 2019.

1. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    The empty O’Dome is the first thing I think of when I think of Mike White.

Since Billy’s last players dragged him to an Elite 8 through luck and determination, Mike White is 53-37. I would say that the fan support is exactly what it should be, based on the proven results.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Fan support has always been mediocre. Sure, big games will have the turnout and excitement- and billy provided many.
    But the region and fan base is generally apathetic to basketball.
    I remember when our defending national title team played Kansas In Vegas. I was among maybe a dozen or so gators fans in attendance.
    The same commentary can be made for any of the sec tournaments I’ve attended the past 15+ years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Basketball apathy precedes Mike.... and Billy.
    Lon railed about it when he left. And billy quietly expressed his frustrations behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    Neither of those (excellent) coaches had a renovated stadium to fill, and Billy was the force behind the amazing basketball-only facility built rather recently. Gator fans are terrible, I cede your point - but the equation looks very different today than it ever has for basketball at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t dispute any of that, but my point remains.... there is sizable disparity between fan expectations and fan support. As a die hard fan, I wish we could shrink that gap - through greater passion for basketball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Yes I am serious. Besides our hiring great football coach; what has he done that you considered great? We lost the SEC best all around for the first time after 20 plus years straight since he has been our AD. Our once great women's tennis team is not good, the golf team (mens) is terrible, our soccer team is mediocre passed by FSU, our baseball team took a drive last year, our women's basketball team is a joke, this years basketball team is under achieving, it is a down year for our softball team all under his watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Huh? Meaning you, me and my son and nine others? There were like a dozen Gator fans in our section alone at that Vegas game. And a busload of some kind of organized Gator group of twentysomethings behind us. And more scattered around the arena. Decent turnout considering the distance, not great. Exciting game, glad we went.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I disagree with the premise that Stricklin was a bad hire as I think he was important to lead the facility discussion however, I will echo your concerns about program standards. UF coaches have always talked about the high expectations driving them to be successful and IMO, it sends the wrong message to allow programs to fall far below acceptable standards. Soccer and men's golf being great examples.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Decent turnout?
    Lmao!
    You calling that a “decent turnout” perfectly exemplifies the benchmark we have for fan support.

It was an absolutely horrendous, horrific turnout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Vegas is a long way from anywhere, including Gainesville. I'm guessing at least 200 Gators (and about 100 at the crummy game the night before). You guess a dozen. Were you even there, man? If so, a visit to YouTube might improve your memory.

11. gators1992

gators1992 Premium Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Doesn't help that the genius who signed off on the new arena put a club section with access to the lower bowl which is half empty every game...every major sports arena have club sections in the middle level of the arena but don't have access to the floor seats because they know that happens...mind boggling!

Beating a dead horse on this other one but for the love of god, please change the tv angle to the student side and quit putting the announcers in front of the students and move them to the alumni side...bat$hit crazy that stuff was not though of prior to construction

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Yup.

I was there.

Which is why I find your “decent showing” comment to be emblematic of our fan apathy. Even if I were to concede 100... or even 200... “decent showing”?!?!

Anyway, send me that YouTube video.

EDIT: never mind... I found it. That’s some compelling stuff, especially the opening commentary around the 2:50 mark.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    You place all the downside on the AD. That’s preposterous. And then give him zero credit for football, (and presumably men’s tennis) that’s hypocritical.

what’s he’s done that is great: creative solution for siting the new football complex by building the new baseball facility.

Women’s tennis has the same coach who has won multiple titles. It’s more of an aberration. I remember a few years back, the W tennis went thru a similar rough patch, and folks were calling for a change - only to have him turn it around to garner a nat’l title. He has the blueprint to do it again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    In all honesty, THAT was a “decent turn-out” for gator fans. That’s the issue!

that year was also the only time the orange bowl classic game here in s. Fla was a sell-out, too. A gator team -all returning - on the heels of a Nat’l championship will draw “like” a UK or KU team ...on probation, ...mired in a 12 game losing streak.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Lol. That is THE issue.
    Still - I thought the Vegas turnout was horrendous even by our standards.
    Charleston— that was a decent, maybe even solid, turnout. And guess what- both UConn and Xavier still had significantly more fans in attendance.
    All this speaks to my point- our fan expectations belie a very tepid following.

The truth is- I love seeing the passion on this board.... people upset and emotionally invested. I just wish there were more of em, and that the number of hands pounding the keyboards ... translated to more butts on the seats.

I’m largely preaching to the choir here, as a good portion of this board represents our best fans.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    The Vegas turnout was bad and even BD was disappointed by it. If I remember correctly it was the weekend of Thanksgiving and the Florida-f$u game was the same day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Billy very rarely expressed his displeasure, but he had some real frustrations with our fan support.

18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Who doesn't though? I've said it before because we discussed it a bunch here, but the biggest issue to me is the location of Gainesville. I'm about as big a gator basketball fan as it gets, but I'm in Jax. There is no way I'm coming down for a weeknight game, so I usually make it down for one basketball game a season on a weekend. Driving down, parking, going to a 2 hour game and driving back is all in about 7-8 of commitment for a 2 hour product. No tailgating like football or anything. I do it to support the program, not because it as a phenomenal experience.

UF basketball needs more local support, but Gainesville isn't much of a market. The biggest fans generally live in other cities.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Back in the day, I would not have given any thought to making such a trip during thanksgiving. It was tough to even make an UF/FSU football game.

now, my paradigm has shifted: My “thanksgiving” is attending the holiday tourney that gator hoops is going to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Certainly a downside of the renovation is that the increased ticket prices meant more out of town purchasers.

• Agree Agree x 3