Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scott Stricklin

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tundragator, Dec 7, 2019.

1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Not that FSU is setting the world on fire every season but they have gotten guys into the NBA (5 since 2016) and he has beaten us 6 in a row. They're in the ACC and are even more of a football school than us traditionally - thus they have an uphill battle every year. Yet we can't beat them.

2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    It was a great experience. Hoosiers is one of my all times favorite movies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    We struggle against them. Billy struggled against them too. We have gotten guys in to the NBA also and have bigger stars.

I am not sure who you would find on here that would trade programs with FSU.

4. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Billy struggles against them because he lost his last 2 games by 4 total points? He won 12 out of 20 games against them and had a 5 win and 6 win streak separately, but he struggled? Meanwhile Mike White loses by double digits to them 3 years in a row and a 5 point loss with Billy’s players in his only other year here is the closest he’s been?

And I’m supposed to think that somehow Leonard Hamilton who has been to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 the last 2 seasons isn’t better? If he weren’t 71 I’d take him over Mike White any day.

I wouldn’t trade “programs“ in total but coaching yes.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    White is by all accounts a great guy, a solid recruiter and has a good defensive mind. But he has to understand his limitations on the offensive side of the ball. Hire.An.O-Coordinator.Assistant

that’s all we really need...but we do need one in a bad way

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Hamilton has 9 tourney wins in 17 years.
    White has 5 tourney wins in 4 years.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Have you made the call yet?

8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He's also got one of only 10 programs in the country to advance past the first round in each of the last 3 seasons. People on this board seem to think the NCAAT is supposed to be a walk in the park.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Also doing it in the most competitive basketball conference in the country. I don’t think he’s an amazing coach and he’s definitely getting old but I think it’s funny people here seem to think he’s some kind of massive downgrade vs. White. Results on the court the last few years with White’s players seem to show the opposite.

10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    The feat @GatorPlanet references is shared by both Hamilton and White. Both are among the “only 10”.
    White did it in years 2, 3 and 4.
    Hamilton did in 15, 16 and 17.

The reality is, this board would have had Hamilton fired over a decade ago. His career tourney success is very, very, very modest.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Im not disagreeing with that, I guess I’m just saying White should probably be fired at this rate. If he doesn’t make the tourney he should be done.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Pearl head and shoulders over White. Would take him in a a heartbeat despite issues right now. Our program would be better off. We’d be a top five team with Pearl’s leadership and charisma two traits sorely lacking in our coach!

Granted Will Wade is also problematic but he is clearly out recruiting and outperforming White IMO.

Frank Martin whom you conveniently don’t mention but who by this time in White’s tenure had done so much more. And clearly dominated MW since he’s been our coach.

I am sure there are more. I would view any coach that has managed to get players into the league on draft day of higher value and that is a greater portion of the league right now. MW is 0-5 despite having NBA talent. Look at what happened to Hudson and Allen. Both have next level talent and somehow didn’t get drafted. I put that on the staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I may lose interest in Gator Basketball out of boredom under the current regime but if we hired Pearl or Wade I would lose interest out of disgust.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm sure glad you're not our AD.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Did you read my post? I listed coaches hired at the same time or since White. Hence, Martin is not listed.
    I’ll reserve comment on Pearl and Wade... and just say, they don’t serve the purpose of strengthening any argument here. There is plenty better ammunition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Mike White is getting outcoached and outrecruited by our competitors (Barnes, Pearl, Calipari, etc). He gave us a few good years. So did Will Muschamp until he drove it into the ground. So did McElwain until he also drove it into the ground. Sustaining success is the hard part. Anyone can have a solid run. Was the hire worth the risk, sure. He's extremely young and we thought let's take that risk. I don't blame Stricklin for the hire, I do blame him for giving White the huge contract prior to this season.

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you're in here talking about the success of Wade and Pearl you need to take a long look in the mirror and why you follow Gator basketball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    While I disagree with your feelings on White, I can't argue that it was probably premature to extend the contract the way they did. I feel that way about almost every coach.

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    BC8AFDD3-8FBC-4806-8595-E0F7279D811A.jpeg

DOH!! I’m kidding. It probably wouldn’t be hard to find posts in which I’ve contradicted myself.
    But I think we all felt differently in September. So, it is hard to question the basis for Stricklin’s decision - a decision most of us loudly applauded at the time.

And hey... this may come full circle. I hope it does. Maybe in February/March we will again be singing White’s praises and happy we’ve locked him up.... alleviating occasional concerns he could be Duke bound.

We shall see....

Go Gators!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    We all got caught up in the moment as did Stricklin obviously. I think Kerry Blackshear was responsible for that raise. Did I feel at the time that it should've lasted until 2024-25, no. I felt he should've been paid more at the time though.