Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scott Stricklin:Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics' (Bianchi)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Mar 22, 2020.

1. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    another mnc for f$u as well "undefeated".....It has gone from unthinkable, to "well maybe a delayed or truncated season", to trying to come to terms that it is increasingly likely that there will be no football in 2020. A loss for everyone involved, players, coaches, families, fans, vendors, and all the other sports that depend on football for revenue. When it does come back, we will all appreciate it even more.

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bear in mind many of the larger schools essentially have fully endowed scholarship programs....the financial hit IMO would impact facilities and the bells and whistles that are all the rage. And those programs that went deep into debt to spend beyond their means may soon regret those moves. Foley took a world of heat for being frugal and keeping down UF's debt service. We may be very thankful for that soon. But collegiate athletics will return when everything else returns.
    No summer practice for HS football is meaningless as it relates to college athletics. Just means a sloppier product when they return to the field. Yesterday I saw baseball players all day long at outdoor cages in Alt Spgs get swings in, and saw QBs and WR working out. It's not optimal and certainly doesn't replace spring or summer practices, but these kids aren't going to turn to jelly over the summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Tough crowd.

So you've never heard of Bianchi?

6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Don’t even want to think about it running that long but certainly could.

if it does happen, it will only strengthen the stranglehold of the well funded programs.

Thankfully we are among that group and in the rise.

7. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Perhaps, but not necessarily. College athletic departments get the VAST majority of their revenue from 3 sources: Ticket sales (primarily from football and mens basketball), booster fees and broadcasting (primarily TV and radio). They get some money from student fees, logo sales and streaming but that is a relatively minor portion of their revenue.

If the football season can’t be played, then ticket sales are gone, broadcasting revenue is mostly gone and booster contributions will take a huge dip. Boosters are going to have trouble sending money to athletic departments if/when their businesses are severely impacted, or their stock market investments are decimated. Most programs have fixed expenses which are not minor.

Conferences have already lost March Madness money, That was going to be about $287,000 PER TEAM, PER GAME played (win or lose). If no bowl games are played in 2020-2021, it will be another huge hit, especially for the SEC.

Some programs might survive this for a year. Those with a huge debt load might not, and may have to declare bankruptcy.

FSU is in a particularly bad place. Their athletic dept. operated at a loss last year, was projected to operate at a loss this year and was counting on new money from the ACC Network to pull them out of the red. Look for a hidden call to the legislature for the taxpayers to bail them out.

Even the “blue blood” programs are going to hurt from this, if it lasts much longer. Including our Gators.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Of course I have.

9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    fwiw the Gators are #9 in one way too early pre season poll....

10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Going to be a big mess with Title IX. Football is going to lose ticket sales & booster income no matter what - will it be able to fund other sports?

11. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    I think we open up the economy by the end of April and will develop a herd immunity within 4 months. Need to get the ventilators and the hospital beds ready to deal with the numbers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    It looks like too many infections exist for this to fade away like SARS did. We're just going to need to face it & develop immunity. tbh it looks like the risk < 40 years old with no co-morbidity is small. If that age range can be isolated from interacting with older people, then I don't see why they can't return to work shortly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Won't happen until the hospital capacity increases enough to handle the surge, young people need the hospital as much as older people, they just resolve in a more positive manner at significantly higher rates, best case is second half of April.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  14. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Looks to peak in 2 weeks and then a swift drop off in fatalities and infections. I think I had it 2 weeks ago and my GF has it now. Fever, lethargy, dry coughing. If we tested everyone I think we'd find 1/3 of us carry the virus already. Corona viruses are very contagious but peter out quickly. Just the way nature works. I think by August we will be on the mend from this. Our economy...that is another matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Michigan is saying probably June
    Talk in FL is at least middle of May

Nothing is back to close to normal until end of June.

17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl