Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You do realize the game schedules are established many years in advance, right? Frost has been there less than 2 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I think if they really contributed to the team it would transfer to a football scholarship. So crescent is only mostly wrong not completely wrong.

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Frost and his coaching staff are often getting out coached now. They have to step up their game. Moving up to a P5 conference means better coaches as well. Better facilities, better coaches, better recruiting, better scouting, better talent and few off weeks. More physical, more injuries and he will have to adapt his system to power football conference and cold weather conditions.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t know if the best of these “walk ons” ultimately received standard football scholarships through the university - probably makes sense if it pays more than the local funding. But that’s still a lot of fresh talent coming in that the school doesn’t have to recruit or use a scholarship on.

It’s brilliant really, but would only work in a state that only has one P5 university

5. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
  6. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    In addition, a Sports Illustrated article from 1984 discussing walk-on programs across the country (with a UF reference even). It specifically addresses the “county scholarship” myth.

WALK-ONS ARE NOW IN THE RUNNING

“Many coaches bad-mouth the Cornhuskers' walk-on program by spreading tales about so-called "county scholarships" in Nebraska. Says former Indiana coach Sam Wyche, who's now coaching the Cincinnati Bengals, "What happens is that a great player gets his county's nonathletic scholarship, which frees up a football scholarship for someone else." In fact, county scholarships do not exist in Nebraska, and the university's office of financial aid is at a loss to explain how such a rumor got started.

I’ll wait for Skink et al to provide evidence of this supposed program’s existence. I’ll be waiting forever, because they won’t be able to provide any. I do expect more of “my cousin’s best friend’s sister’s uncle once knew a fat farmer from middle of nowhere who heard about a county scholarship once” type anecdotes.

7. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    In-state tuition at Nebraska-Lincoln is currently $7500/year. In 1998 it was $3000/year. It's always been the only DI football team in the state. You don't think there are a bunch of kids who would pay a piddling amount of money to play for the team that they and everyone they know cheer for instead of taking a scholarship to play somewhere else? Why do you think Chris Doering went to Florida?

More to the point, how many DI-level recruits do you think Nebraska produces as a state? Last year, a whopping 7 high school recruits from Nebraska were "starred."

According to the legend, the program took place during the Tom Osborne era, ending when Texas killed it as part of the creation of the Big 12:recruiting classes 1973 through 1994 (it should come as no surprise that the legend appears to have been the creation of Texas supporters). In 22 classes, they produced 18 players who would play in the NFL, but about of them where from somewhere other than Nebraska. Since the transition to the Big 12 that supposedly killed the program, they've had 7 more walk-ons drafted. That suggests that a lot of kids just wanted to play for a dominant program, even if it meant walking-on.

9. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    You aren’t factoring in living expenses or books, as that is solely tuition costs. Chris Doering attended school at PK Young, which meant his family already lived in Gainesville, and he attended high school a few miles from the UF campus. So all he had to pay was tuition and books, as his family lived nearby.

The estimated cost of attending Nebraska this school year (2019-2020) without living at home is $25,000 a year. If you live at home while attending, it is still $19,000 a year. That’s not pocket change for most families, and that walk-on is expected to practice the same hours as scholarship players. The median household income in Nebraska is ~$60,000. Without additional money from scholarships, that would be a heavy burden on most families in Nebraska to pay for their kid to be a walk-on.

Financially, it doesn’t make sense, especially if that player has a scholarship offer from another school.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Or boosters slipped them some cash, like boosters donate cars, homes and jobs to families of recruits at other schools.

I don't know what went on at Nebraska, but if anything did, it was most likely just a booster slipping cash to a kid to walk on.

11. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    What it currently costs to attend is irrelevant, since the mythical program has been dead for over 20 years. Financially speaking, in Nebraska, being tied to the football program is definitely a worthwhile investment since it will set you up with connections that will help you out no matter what you do after graduation. Moreover, walk-ons are eligible for all of the same financial aid as everyone else (Pell Grants, government and private student loans, etc.), it just can't be tied to athletic participation. It's not hard to qualify for at least some need- or academic-based scholarship money. But Nebraska was under the NCAA microscope for the entire time Osborne was there and never had any scholarship-related issues.

A guy I knew at UF who was a preferred walk-on under Zook, but he was in school on a National Merit Scholars full-ride scholarship. He played 4 years, mostly playing QB for the scout team; he only got on the field for special teams in 2 games. Currently, if you can get admitted to UF based on academics, you'll have Bright Futures money coming. I had two full-ride scholarships that stacked, so I got a nice bank deposit at the beginning of every semester for whatever was left after tuition and fees.

Kids from Nebraska want to play for the Huskers, and they get relatively few kids from anywhere else. Nebraska football recruits

• Like Like x 1
  12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    While we are in the topic I always wondered how Rudy paid his tuition at Notre dame

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    He had money from The Goonies and his Father had money leftover and residuals from The Adams Family? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. danmann65

May 22, 2015

Yep Chris Doering and maybe kerwin bell. That is two in the last 30 years. (Louis Oliver was he a walk on?)

15. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    GI Bill from his time in the Navy.

16. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Adoptive father. He also had Patty Duke money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Well if you want to get technical, also his share of one eyed Willie's loot too.

Sorry for going too far off topic

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Louis Oliver was a walk-on. And a pissed-off one at that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    You could argue that Nebraska’s success was based on playing in the Big 12 where other programs in the conference did not play defense. Once they moved to the Big 10, it became more challenging to compete. Oklahoma has not suffered the decline of Nebraska when both programs were considered equals back in the day. The Big 10 is certainly the conference with the greater academic reputation and that may have been Nebraska’s ultimate goal anyway. Could also be that playing Big 10 teams in different geographic locations causes a change in the programs recruiting base as well. More difficult for Nebraska to recruit Texas as an example when players and families know they will not play any away games near their home any longer. Now all games are further North and longer road trip. I think Arkansas suffered when they shifted to the SEC as well for some of these same reasons.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1