Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Oct 30, 2019.

1. rabidgatorfan

rabidgatorfan VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why is that unusual? The SEC has permanent cross-division rivals that play every year like LSU/UF, Auburn/GA, Alabama/TN, etc.

Nothing unusual about Nebraska having to play OSU each year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    And fullbacks.

3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    what was the story with the hoodies? I caught the tail end of it

4. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    Haw Haw Haw freaking Haw!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Frost’s problem is he’s at Nebraska and in addition to all the factors that have been mentioned here just because he loves the school- just because it’s his dream job- it’s a long way from being of interest to most national recruits or talented kids from California, East coast, South Florida. Too many other options for good players. Were I a pretty good South Florida three star I would get offers in the Southeast if not State of Florida. Nebraska?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    I want a coach who says "Line 'em up and bring 'em on." Thankfully we have one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. zoltanuf

zoltanuf GC Legend

Aug 22, 2011
    Indiana thinks Frost/staff have wronged them by perceiving the hoosiers as less than Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan? I can't wait for the savage rant they issue when ripping the New Years 6 bowls and playoff committee for leaving them out all these years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    It very well may have been. I was just hoping my memory was close to right

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    It was 2 I believe. They definitely used it to their advantage but they didn’t only abuse it on football scholarships. They also used it for other sports including women’s volleyball and baseball to name a few. I’m not trying to minimize the advantage it gave them, simply saying it wasn’t a football only loophole. There was an article a few years back that cited the closing of this loophole, amongst many other factors, that played a role in Nebraska’s demise. I’d honestly say the biggest factor though was leaving the Big12 to join the Big10. They lost a lot of traditional rivalry games and made themselves geographically uninteresting to their main recruiting hot bed..... Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Nebraska has 93 counties!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    A GC poster who seemed like he had some inside knowledge said that we reached out to Frost.
    However, someone like his agent made it clear it would take mountains to get him to UF, and we werent' going to do that for an unproven coach.
    It sounded like if he wanted to come here then he could have. His heart was set on NU and it would have taken the world to get him away from that.

IMO he would have done well here eventually, but some (ok me) didn't appreciate that he would have a learning curve in going from UCF to the SEC.
    It took Dabo a while, but he's now doing well. I think Frost will eventually be good though not Dabo good.

And IMO no one outside Urban Meyer would have been 17-4 like Mullen has done. Just amazing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    Yeah. As stated, they only used a handful of those scholarships on football players. Some for other athletes and some for non athletic students. The scholarships weren’t the issue, it was that they weren’t counting them against the allotted amount for sports per NCAA guidelines. The scholarship still exists it’s just that if used for an athlete, it counts against their permitted number. For that reason I think they’ve all but eliminated the use of it on athletes much to the benefit of all those future farmers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I am glad that you have seen the light. There are some out there who aren't on board with the Mullen hire who continues to bring up CDM'S lack of recruiting prowess.
    Can I ask you a question? What is it that you see with Frost that you didn't see with Mullen?
    Did you think the Mullen hire was not sexy enough? I've always wanted Mullen after Muschamp was fired. When they hired Mac' I was like, "What? Who the hell is that guy?" I've always thought they can do much better than Jim even after he won the east for 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    The whole “county scholarships” thing is a complete myth. It doesn’t and hasn’t ever existed, as much as people want to believe. You’ll also hear it called “railroad scholarships”. Source: extended family has extensive ties to Nebraska, to include working for the university. Feel free to call up any sportswriter from the Omaha World Herald, or reach out to the NU AD. It’s just not true.

snopes.com: Cornhusker scholarships

It’s true that Nebraska used to have a cutting edge walk-on program, and was huge into strength and conditioning and nutrition (too include stuff that might not be legal today) before other programs started taking it seriously. Corn fed farm boys from middle of nowhere Nebraska and the Midwest used to walk-on, develop for 4 years, then start as redshirt seniors. If they were smart enough they might get some sort of academic scholarship, sort of like Bright Futures. Not exactly a “county scholarship”. They had the same academic scholarship rules for walk-ons as any program. Those walk-ons now accept football scholarships to the Wyomings, South Dakota States, Colorado States, etc where they can play sooner. That and Nebraska drastically cut their walk on program under Callahan and Riley. Not sure what it looks like under Frost. I’d heard he wanted to expand it.

Nebraska’s downfall can be tied to multiple things. The biggest is that they had a once in a generation coach with Saban/Urban/Spurrier/Mullen-esque attention to detail in Tom Osborne. He realized Nebraska had to be different than everyone else if it wanted to compete with Nebraska’s terrible weather and lack of recruiting base. Walk-ons, development, S&C, and recruit just enough 4-5 stars. Oh, Proposition 48 certainly helped- Nebraska used to be able to recruit partial qualifiers. 5 stars who couldn’t get in to the SEC. Texas put a stop to that when they became the Big 12.

So no Osborne, a gutted walk-on program, and everyone else has caught up with S&C and facilities and takes football seriously. Mix in a couple terrible hires in Callahan and Riley and there you have it. I think Nebraska needs to realize the new normal- that it’s basically Minnesota with better facilities and more tradition. They should be happy winning 8-9 games a year and going to a bowl game, maybe win the Big 10 west every few years and get slaughtered by tO$U. Basically, what they were under Pelini. I still think Frost can get them back to that level. But there’s no way around the fact that reality has caught up with them. They need to understand where they are and where they’ll never be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure he said was:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Thank you. The whole "county scholarship" allegation was just plain silly.

17. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    The Big 10 doesn't have permanent cross-divisional matchups, they use a weird 6-year rotation. Nebraska gets Michigan 2022-2027. It seems like a really dumb way to do it, and Nebraska got screwed with their matchups. FWIW, Wisconsin has Michigan now, and will get Ohio State next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Poor baby! Maybe the Huskers should crawl back to the Big 12 if they don't want to have any hard games!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    I don’t know about the county thing but they have a FFA scholarship. It is given to multiple students throughout the state. I know of it’s existence as my brother in law was one of the recipients. He was not an athlete but he said that some athletes got them too. He was from a small farming community near Kearney. His sister also received it and she played softball for Nebraska.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    I don’t doubt any of that.

I’m just saying their walk-ons, even in their hay-day (see what I did there?), were subject to the same scholarship rules as any program. There were no loopholes. No more than if, say, we had a walk-on on a Bright Futures scholarship.

If you want to complain about Nebraska, complain about their Prop 48 usage and “cutting edge nutrition”. They were light years ahead of everyone. Sort of like how Bama and Saban are so far ahead in having “support” staff and “consultants” in the hundreds and abuse medical scholarships. Illegal? Not yet. Unethical? You decide...

• Like Like x 1