Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Oct 30, 2019.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    A very interesting situation unfolded in Lincoln Neb on Sat. Indiana went in and surprisingly beat Nebraska 38-31. After the game Indiana AD Fred Glass raised some eyebrows with his comments, referencing a beef no one seemed to know existed.

“I’m very, very happy for our kids and very, very happy for our fans, because like Tom (Allen) said tonight, we’re sick of talking about how close we’ve been, one to a signature win and two to qualify for a bowl. To hit both of those things today at Nebraska was particularly gratifying, particularly knowing Nebraska’s staff had no respect for our program.”

Nebraska head coach Scott Frost seemed to have no idea what Glass was referencing when asked on Monday. Nebraska coach Scott Frost on the perceived disrespect by Indiana AD Fred Glass: “We’ve been scratching our heads, wondering what that’s all about... If there’s something we did, I’d certainly like to know.” Frost said it’s a “dead issue.”

Oh, but apparently Frosty did know exactly what the beef was. Nebraska has complained to Big Ten headquarters that Nebraska sees too much of Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan and not enough of Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland. From the report:

Details aren’t uber-specific about the context of the remarks, but multiple sources around the conference confirmed that Frost had raised complaints in discussions privately and publicly that Nebraska had been saddled with a difficult of a cross-divisional Big Ten schedule in future seasons. His specific complaint? His team needs more games against historically weaker programs, citing Indiana specifically by name.

Hoosier receiver Whop Philyor — who, by the way, torched Nebraska to the tune of 14 catches for 187 yards on Saturday — seems to confirm that Nebraska wanted more Indiana and less Ohio State. "They got what they wanted," he said.

Ouch! This really bit Frosty & Nebraska in the rump. Thankfully for them, they don’t play Indiana again until 2022.

Report: Here's the source of the Indiana-Nebraska beef you didn't know existed - FootballScoop

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Video of Scott Stricklin during the UF coaching search has just been released -

[​IMG]

• Funny x 32
    • Winner x 8
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So time for a hijack.

THE biggest problem with coaching searches is that there has to be a combination of things to happen in order to get "the right guy". One of them has to be that a guy shows he has what it takes to take on the culture of your university. Another is your university wants him. And the last is, he wants to want IT.

Just because you think highly of your university and resources does not mean the right guy comes along when you want/need to make a change. The two previous HCs before Mullen are prime examples of how hard it is to hit on all the places. Mr. Frost looked like he could be it except he really did not have the complete resume to tackle one of the Power 5 (really should be 4-16 team Power conferences but then I would be hijacking my own hijack) jobs. I do know it is MUCH easier to recruit to UF than it is to recruit at Nebraska but still, if you don't have the mental makeup you are still on the outside looking in.

Frost may still pull it out but I agree his flash seems to have gone out. Maybe his calling is to be an NFL OC. We shall see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Oh BTW, my choice to replace little willie was Holgorsen. Shows you what I know...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Way Way too soon to dismiss Frosty's coaching ability. I dont think 15-24 games is enough. Coaches need players, assistant coaches and time to build. I think he is building, maybe slower than many expected, but what did he have in stock when he took the job? Clearly, not a squad filled with 4 star recruits. His is a longer build due to the lack of talent in Nebraska and having to go out of state vs Okla, Tex, Osu, Mich, etc.

Instant gratification is a curse. Patience is a virtue in this case. He has Neb heading in the right direction.

Willie Taggert, on the other hand, has the clowns going backward.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I agree, except when you see what kind of smoke and mirrors Mullen has done on offense (the O-line in particular) to win without his players. Some have it and some don't. I am just thankful our coach does.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Nebraska in their hey day had an advantage. They gave one scholarship to each county in Nebraska and they weren't counted against their scholarship total. They gave the scholarship to the biggest guy in the county. That is why they had such great offensive lines. The NCAA closed the loophole and Nebraska has been at best mediocre ever since.

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Agree Agree x 6
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Have to appreciate the irony of the former ucf coach whining about the schedule being too tough after all the no one will play us nonsense.

• Winner x 14
    • Funny x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I still think Frost would have killed it at UF, but I'm 110% ecstatic we landed Mullen! And now with those Bowden-esque comments about weakening the schedule shows he doesn't quite have that competitive fire I want in a HC.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Not to be out done, FSU just released video of their coaching search...
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Exactly right, FFA (Future Farmers of America) Scholarships.
    I heard it was 2 per county?
    If that wasn't playing the system I don't know what was.
    So glad the NCAA caught up with them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Are you confusing him with Eric Crouch maybe?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I have to admit I wanted him over Mullen.
    So glad it wasn't me making the decision and we got Mullen.
    Obvious to me he (Mullen) was the best/right choice.
    The future finally looks bright for us, it got kind of dim there for a while.
    Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    why, yes I am. I will delete above post

• Like Like x 1
  15. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that Frost might still turn out to be a very good coach. Having said that, UCF has done better without him than he has without UCF. At UCF he could recruit those second tier FL kids and still far out talent the rest of the AAC. What he can do with equal or lesser talent remains to be seen. But so far is underwhelming.

Just another reminder that for every Urban Meyer there are dozens of other coaches that cannot replicate their success in smaller conferences when they get to the big leagues.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, Crouch needs to ship his Heisman to Rex Grossman.

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 6
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Nebraska has somehow played Ohio State every year since 2016, and will play them every year through 2021 (6 years in a row). That's a little unusual.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    I still think Frost is an exceptional person and coach. However, he's at a program much like Tennesse that will never return to what it once was which is a little (not a lot) sad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    Only one question for Scott Frost.
    Hoosier Daddy?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. jsarms1

jsarms1 Junior

Jan 2, 2009
    I firmly still believe Frost is a good coach and would of done well here, but Mullen was and is our guy! Kelly on the other hand, man I need to be slapped daily for ever thinking he was the best option for us at the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1