Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

school closures harmed american education

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, May 15, 2023.

1. Contra

Contra GC Legend

May 15, 2023
    Well, I live in the land of the free called Florida and I love it. Also, I would tell you the same thing. If you don't like Florida, then move somewhere else. Pick the Biden loving Bulldogs and go root for them and live there.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s hilarious. Listen Sunshine you don’t know me, but you’re not so hard to figure out. You’re just another scared white guy that’s terrified of the changing world around him. What you’re cheering in Florida is a MAGA last gasp before being replaced by someone who may be dark-skinned, a gay or lesbian, an immigrant, a non-Christian, or a woman that has the audacity to look forward rather than look back. Your so-called land of the free is an artifact of a racist, misogynistic, homophobic ideology that was rejected long ago and has the relevance of an 8 track tape. Now embarrass yourself with the last word because I’m done with you.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  3. Contra

Contra GC Legend

May 15, 2023
    "If you don’t like our laws then leave" is for thee and not for me. That is about what I expected.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    It’s almost like a shell game …

upload_2023-5-28_15-23-4.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who didn't see this coming...

upload_2023-6-21_12-29-32.png

Oh, and thanks Randi!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh my gosh, “If you don’t like it then leave it.” It’s something MAGA republicans enjoy saying as much as they enjoy saying the “N” word or calling women the “C” word. Just the right’s way of saying “You uppity colored people and women better learn your place, or git!”

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Oh THFSG it’s the libs who’ve been telling me to love it or leave it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Contra

Contra GC Legend

May 15, 2023
    Lol, you literally said the same thing up thread. Nonetheless, you have not realized it yet, but that is a pretty terrible statement. I hear echoes of Nazi attitudes towards Jews and slave owner attitudes towards Africans in your post. What you said is a dirty prejudiced gross mischaracterization of a large swath of people. It is 100% hateful. You should log off and rethink your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Anyone who was for school closures gets to own the fact that these kids are woefully behind in school. It should've never happened and those who let it happen should never be in power again. I was fine with schools closing in the spring of 2020 because we didn't know what we were dealing with. BUT, all schools should've opened in the fall of 2020 like Florida did because we had the data at the time to know kids weren't at increased risk and neither were teachers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Isn’t this all sort of “no shit Sherlock” type stuff?

Now if they are still consistently tracking low 5 years from now (when todays 3rd graders become 8th graders), that will definitely say something. But essentially kids just completed their first fully “normal” school year after the pandemic, it’s not surprising they are still behind. I tend to think given time everything will return to the mean or typical standards one would expect for each state. Especially for the younger kids as they progress through the grades. The question is do they need some type of remedial action, or will it just happen naturally given time.

13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Only kids in states where schools were closed did they "just" complete their first fully "normal" year. FL has been normal since fall of 2020.

14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida wasn't normal in the fall of 2020. It still wasn't normal in the fall of 2021. At our kids' schools (St Johns county), they spent way too much of the year (2021) in study halls because too may students and teachers were out. Administrators were afraid to just close the school because the governor had made it clear he was willing to punish children to get his way. So instead of closing school when a quarter of the students and teachers were out, they just packed kids into the auditorium so they could be supervised. You can have two staff members legally supervising up to 8 classes of students as long as you don't care if they are doing any learning.

Even after things settled down a little in the spring of 2021, one of my kids had a science class where the teacher was teaching two classes at the same time for about a month. The teacher would stand in the doorway and lecture/answer questions for ten minutes, then run across the hall and stand in the other doorway for ten minutes.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    In Seminole County my kids never had 1 issue like that in any of their classes(2 HS aged kids). Everything was normal in fall of 2020. Hell, he had HS baseball in the fall and spring like nothing happened. Zero time in a study hall. Don't think your experience was the norm at all. My sons travel baseball team had kids from all over central florida(Orange, Seminole, Volusia and Lake County) and non had anything close to what you described.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm glad that covid wasn't as bad where you lived.

17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, not sure why that happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If anything it was schools being over cautious because of Covid fear. Having kids wear masks. And making them stay home if they sat next to a kid that ended up getting Covid. Florida was way ahead of the game. But even in Florida our Governor had to play the game and provide for over cautious policies that still did not appease folks like you.

Florida had moved on and most teachers were done with the idiocy. Sadly the minority living in fear was enough to require idiotic policies even while being open.

• Funny Funny x 1