Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

school closures harmed american education

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, May 15, 2023.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Because believe it or not, there are some bad teachers out there who don't give a crap. They aren't immune to criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No kidding. There are bad doctors, lawyers, salespeople, politicians, and on and on as well. Bad teachers, like people in every other profession, need to be purged. However teachers are the people with the least power to bring about change, but are the number one recipients of the criticism. That’s why so many are throwing up their hands and leaving the profession.

I have a friend who was a terrific math teacher but held very high standards. She stayed late to help students who wanted it, and arrived early to tutor. A group of students decided they were going to protest her requirements that problems needed to be correct with work shown. The administration took the student’s side, so she turned in her resignation and the FBI snatched her up. Another frustrated teacher quit and went back to law school and is now a judge. Good teachers aren’t dumb and can do other things that pay a lot more without the grief.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. GatorWon

GatorWon GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    School vouchers are the party of small government’s equivalent to Section 8 housing vouchers.

4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just so everyone can see, these are the CDC's numbers. FL did better than CA during Covid. And that's without shutting businesses down except for the first month of covid, not having schools closed after May of 2020, not forcing masks on kids. I mean there is no debate. FL handled Covid significantly better by pretty much every metric compared to CA. Can't fix stupid though.

[​IMG]

5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for the chart, do you have a link for it?

6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

COVID Data Tracker

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Your weird CA vs FL obsession aside, the chart you posted shows red states did significantly worse than blue states. 17 out of the worst 25 are red states. Why is that?

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    High correlation to health of the state. Those states who performed poorly have some of the worst obesity rates in the country. Not surprising.

Comparing FL to CA is an apt comparison since CA decided to keep businesses locked down(Disney was closed almost a year longer in CA compared to Disney World), keep schools closed and require masks everywhere. CA closed beaches and parks. FL did it for a month and realized that was stupid. CA did it for a long time. Yet after hearing for well over a year here that CA did better than FL the truth is FL out performed CA by almost every metric AND was open for business and had schools open. It makes some people on this forum look really stupid. They know who they are. As soon as they acknowledge they were wrong we can move on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Not according to this article.

California vs. Florida: Who handled COVID-19 better?

Summary is:

Because of the many ways California is more susceptible to coronavirus spread, replicating Florida’s relaxed approach may have had devastating consequences here. Arizona, which has lax restrictions similar to Florida’s, has the nation’s fifth-highest COVID-19 death rate. An additional 38,000 Californians would be dead if the state’s per capita deaths matched Arizona’s.

“If California had behaved like Florida, where mask use and physical distancing was not being practiced as thoroughly, our cumulative death rate would have been higher than Florida,” said UCLA medical epidemiologist Dr. Robert Kim-Farley.

“And conversely, had Florida been practicing California’s more rigorous attention to masking and physical distancing, curtailing indoor dining, et cetera, it would have followed a death rate trajectory that would have been the same or lower than California … because their vulnerability index was lower.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Why not compare say…Texas and California? Did Texas stay locked down much longer than Florida? Why did they do so poorly?

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The data is the data. CDC itself says CA had a higher death rate than FL. Plus FL was open, schools were open. It's not debatable unless you want to take the losing side and say CA did better LOL.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You go compare CA and TX and start a thread on that if you feel like it. This is a thread about school closures harming education. FL opened sooner than just about any other state. CA was around last to open school fully.

13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I think all i did was provide context to the numbers and a discussion that Arizona had lax standards and sucked.

Secondly when I go to the CDC website here is what i see:

COVID-19 Mortality by State

upload_2023-5-26_9-19-37.png

upload_2023-5-26_9-20-21.png

14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I posted the updated data. No idea what you are posting. FL fared better than CA with significantly less covid measures. To me even if FL and CA are even with regard to covid deaths, than the FL way was much better since schools and businesses were open so much earlier. Basically shoots the Lockdowns are good theory to hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Does that really require a new thread? Just seems like you’re cherry picking two states to compare that supports your narrative. Texas opened schools immediately after Florida’s and had awful results. Way worse than Florida or California.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cherry picking? We've had certain posters on here comparing CA to FL for years now. Perfect comparison. Like I said, you start a new thread and talk TX to CA. I'll be in here talking about FL and CA and how FL did a much better job overall when it comes to covid. Frankly as a large state FL did pretty much better than any large state.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Or I’ll just discuss it here - you know - where we are already discussing this topic.

18. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cool. I guess I'd try to change the subject of FL vs CA also since you are Dem and it makes the Dem's policies look stupid.

20. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    LOL @ you trying to limit the conversation to FL vs CA. The OP makes no mention of Florida or California specifically. It’s about school closures in the United States. I get it. That’s the only comparison that has favorable numbers for your argument. Red states with lax covid restrictions did terribly overall compared to blue states with more restrictions. Back to your obsession.