Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SC =bad loss. They are what we thought

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by shane4three, Jan 27, 2018.

1. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that criteria would eliminate every team in the SEC and all but the top two or three nationally.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    True but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad loss. Most every team has experienced bad losses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    FSU was a bad loss because we were thoroughly defeated and looked like the worse team. I don’t think any other game qualifies, you can’t help it when teams make a lot more shots than they normally do.

4. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF lost three times (including once at home) last year to a Vandy team that finished 19-16 but still bounced back to make a very good run in March. With the team we have this season, losing to a decent South Carolina team, even at home, is going to happen. The key for UF down the stretch is to win at least a game a week, which in an improved SEC will be enough to get us in the tournament. After that, if we get favorable match ups and the ball bounces our way, maybe we can make another run.

By the way, the last UF home loss before USCe was against Loyola Chicago. Everyone panicked then and while it was a game we should have won, Loyola is 17-4 right now and in first place in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    We beat them at home and we are fine. Can't lose 2 to SC. They are much different than last yr.
    would you agree Ga is must win? Not even about SEC as much as it is seed line

Big difference between 4-5 and 6-8. That loss just makes the next 3-4 must win games. I agree Ole Miss was much worse. Don't forget we were up 50-42 and froze for 5 minutes. Not just about SC that makes it bad it is the way we lost too. Couple that with SC's complete meltdown at home to an overrated Texas Tech team and it is a bad loss.

6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Ole Miss??

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    You think we looked like the worse team against Ole Miss? I seem to remember we got hosed by the refs in that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015
    shane;

No offense but "that team" that South Carolina lost to was the #14 ranked team in the country. Texas Tech is really good this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In college basketball I'd argue there is no such thing as a must win. We could lose to UGA and beat UK and Auburn and it would matter little.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Exactly - took the words right outta my keyboard.

11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Overrated. Good but overrated.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Just saying a bad loss. Known fact committee looks at "good" wins and "bad" losses.

13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Losing to USCe was not a bad loss, even at home. They are a decent team. We should have beaten them, but they shot over their heads and we couldn't throw it in the ocean.

On the other hand we played like crap against New Hampshire at home. Losing that one would have been a bad loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's amazing how some will argue a point tooth-and-nail, or deflect, distract, etc. . . anything but admit they (gasp!) were wrong. Texas Tech is not overrated.
    Pomeroy - #11
    RPI - #16
    Sagarin #11

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    FAKE NEWS!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    You can’t evaluate impact of a win/loss (except conference standings) until the season’s done. Right now who knows how USCe, Kentucky, Ole Miss will do the rest of the season. Could be why the selection committee doesn’t make their final decision until the season is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Would you agree after this weekend when our best (arguably) team in Auburn did not participate and the SEC still showed it was the better conference that the Big 12 is overrated?? What is not factual about what I just stated and am asking you? 'm wrong, I'll admit it but they and their conference are severely overrated. Hope you'll respond.

give it two to three weeks when they are in the 22-25 range or even out of the top 25. If I'm wrong I'll admit it.

18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Next four games against average to bad teams.
    Texas
    TCU
    Iowa State
    K State
    Should go 4-0 and move to top 7-8. I may still have a hard time saying their a really good team. Look at their schedule...FAU, sav. State, wofford, Maine.....and we all know now their conference is way overrated.

Besides Kansas who else is there????
    W. Virginia? Lost 5/6 and should not be ranked.
    Oklahoma-lost to a solid but not spectacular Alabama team.

TCU-lost to the worst team in the SEC.

Texas-solid but not great

Iowa State- 2-6 in conf.

Baylor-?????2-6 in conf.

K. State-Solid not great. Georgia beats them by 10 at home.

Ok. State-again solid but not more than average.

Their conference and what happened this weekend will hurt them. If they lose even one of the next 4 it would be a surprise. I'll take at least 2 if not 3 other conferences over the big 12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    My post was not about the Big 12; it was about Texas Tech. When your point about USCe's loss was challenged, you responded that TT is overrated. I was curious to know if that is true at the moment and the metrics suggest it is not.
    Rankings are fluid. At the moment, there is support for TT being ranked in the teens. I think the term overrated gets bandied about all too often. TT was good enough to defeat a decent SC team on the road. SC was good enough to win @ UF. If TT is overrated, should we assume the Gators are overrated?
    Is Cincinnati (AP #9) overrated? They, after all, lost to UF, which lost to USCe, which lost to TT.
    Is MI St (AP #6) overrated? They lost to MI, which lost by 20 to Nebraska.

It's probably easy to find chinks in the armor for any team with three or more losses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Case in point . . . post #38.