Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SB half-time show

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Go2gtr, Feb 3, 2020.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    "Work towards" isn't about reality. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am not saying it to this level but if you "work towards" women not having a care about the male sex drive then we will either have a bunch of castrated males (you first!) or we will imprison them.

My take isn't that the half-time show was scandalous because they were acting sexual but rather it was in poor taste if they were trying to "empower" women to act in that manner, the young ones who were also a part in particular.

If I was "offended" it was that I believe that once you get a certain age, you grow out of acting like a horny teenager. They could have put on a MUCH better show than trying to out-Miley Miley.

And I have no problem with the cheerleaders. But they aren't overly sexualizing (they did for a while) as much as they are professional dancers with professional dancer's bodies. Twerking is NOT in their routines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The show did wonders for the Me Too movement. And the stripper pole was a real touch of class.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am the target audience....and I have two daughters. I hated the halftime show for that reason.

4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I had no issue with the look, just didn’t like the music

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You seem to suggest we should respect the doofus. I suggest we strive for a higher standard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Since you all want Disney for the half time show I have a suggestion for you “let it go”

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Respect isn't so much about "honor" as it is recognizing it for what it is. I say the difference between fear and respect (say a wild animal) is knowledge. And unless we plan on locking all the doofuses (doofi?) up, they WILL manifest.

8. tilly

So we should not teach our daughters how to dress appropriately?
    You realize we teach them so that they don't become victims right?

Do you leave your credit card sitting on the hood of your car in the parking lot? Why?
    Am I blaming the victim if I teach you to keep your card in your wallet?

C'mon people.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

Of course, but I am gonna teach my daughters how to keep the doofus away, because the doofus still exists.

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ever watch the TV show bait car? Police would leave a nice car in a poor neighorhood, unlocked. And just because it was a nice car in a poor neighborhood unlocked, the people who took the car were still arrested and charged with grand theft auto. Should they not have been charged because having the a nice car and leaving it unlocked shoulders more blame than those who steal the car? No.

Girls should be able to wear what they want and if some doofus treats her poorly, that's on him. The people who think women should shoulder the blame are the same societies that dress women in burkas.

11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    a lot of the complains are from the same people who talk about who has the sexist cheerleaders. But it is good that we can have a debate without calling each others names. This just proves for the most part we have one hell of a good group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So you agree with his statement that “if you dress like a whore you should expect to be treated like one?”

C’mon people is damn right. Those type of mindsets are unacceptable and part of the problem. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. tilly

I don't agree that you should, but I sure as heck know you will. That is why we teach our girls the value of not giving off that persona.

Dressing slutty is akin to leaving your wallet on the sidewalk. Sure some people will use your drivers license to mail your wallet to you, but others will steal your cash and max out you cards.

It isn't the good guys I am worried about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tilly

In a vacuum sure, unfortunately the girl is the one with the scars for the rest of her life.
    So people can tell their daughters to wear what she wants.
    I will tell mine to use good moral sense and represent themselves with class.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GCNumber7

Apr 3, 2007
    No offense but the fact that you guys are still throwing around terms like whore and slutty to describe how women dress says a lot.

And comparing a choice of wardrobe to leaving your a wallet on the street is bizarre and absurd.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    First off, using words like "whore" and "slutty" are inappropriate here. The first term is potentially offensive and the second is highly subjective. Second, dressing in revealing clothing is in no way like leaving your wallet on the sidewalk. Wardrobe is an expression of self and culture. In this case, as is often true in musical performance, wardrobe was accompanied by dance and apparently, many of the SB viewers have little understanding of wardrobe and/or dance in Latin communities.

Having been immersed in Hispanic culture for years, I've found it necessary to adjust my personal expectations for certain expressions. Back in the early 2000s I was shocked to see some of my elementary age students performing the moves of Shakira and yes - dressing in clothes that were different than what I was accustomed to. As I watched the parents and my colleagues from within the Hispanic community respond to the performances, though, it was simply a matter of human nature to them. What was shocking to me was simply a natural form of expression to them. There was certainly nothing slutty about the children's clothes or the performances, once I was able to see things from a different lens.

Hispanic culture is a very important part of the makeup of America. Without it, we would not have salsa, mariachi (a burgeoning phenomenon in American music education), school desegregation (Mendez v. Westminster came long before Brown vs. Board of Education), amazing food (!), and countless world-class artists, such as Salvador Dahli and Willie Colón, Ruben Blades, etc.

Here's an excerpt from an article about a Mexican artist as perceived by the American culture, which was none the ready to receive her:
    Not trying to lecture here - just offering a different perspective. I'm troubled by the use of terms like "whore" and "slutty" here and feel that some folks should make a greater effort to understand the vast diversity that exists in America.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. tilly

@gatordavisl Some good points there.

Let me start with this. I understand the culture. I grew up in the tampa area and had many close to me that were second gen Americans. You make a valid point about cultural norms...though I don't think that always means an action is ok.

Also, I am certainly NOT equating rape to petty theft of a wallet. I am just saying why tempt evil people. Bad dudes are out there. Why would I want my daughters to tempt fate?

I also was referring to an earlier post when using the word "slutty". You are correct in that it should not be used. I shouldn't have used it even in that context.

I do believe though, that the NFL can't go around trying to reconcile it's issues with abuse and sexual misconduct all while putting a figurative strip club at midfield. It plays right into the objectifying that they claim to be against.

Nude beaches are cultural norms in many places too, but most of us wont take our families to one. The SuperBowl has a very broad audience of adults and kids. Not a single decent parent watched that and hoped their daughter will ever be on that pole. (Side note: There is a hilarious Chris Rock bit about that:D)

I dont care what JLo does at a concert where paying patrons know what they are getting...but save it for that. Make the Super Bowl an all ages inclusive event that doesn't come across hypocritical from a league where several of its stars have abused women.

FTR...There were several strong educated women in my house for the Super Bowl. Not one of them liked it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yeah, I'm not sure how this becomes a discussion about "my daughters won't do this," etc. It's not about your daughter, but people want to make it about that for emotional or argumentative reasons. Singing and dancing in revealing clothing, or if a "figurative strip club" is the proper analog, in no way promotes abuse or sexual misconduct. I'm not saying that was the suggestion. The two just don't equate. And I disagree that the show objectifies women, but I respect differing opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GCNumber7

Apr 3, 2007
    There seems to be this notion that women that dress a certain way are more likely to get raped or treated poorly. Which is both a complete misunderstanding of the dynamics of rape and abuse and simply inaccurate.

I know some parents might mean well by ‘warning’ their daughters not to wear revealing outfits, which is not only unnecessary (and frankly ineffective) but inadvertently continue this mindset of placing some blame on the victim. If god forbid someone were to misbehave with your daughter, the last thing you want is for her to think it’s because her shorts were too short, or her t-shirt too tight.

For the record, I have no issue with enforcing age and context appropriate dressing. Also for the record, dressing in a revealing fashion is not a Hispanic thing. I see plenty of white, black, Asian, etc. girls dress the same.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Would you prefer your daughter or wife to leave the house dressed like this
    [​IMG]

or this?
    [​IMG]

And why?