Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SB half-time show

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Go2gtr, Feb 3, 2020.

1. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    U2 & Prince were the best ones IMO.

Didn’t see anything wrong with last night. Not my kind of music but was entertained. Not sure why so many seem to be offended by it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Harvey W I'm sure gave it a thumbs up.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. llm85

llm85 NBN Bracket Master

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    I was millennial mode, staring at my cellphone.

When it was done I asked my wife if I missed anything. She said "no." I asked if there was a wardrobe malfunction, and again, she said "no."

4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    It wasn't really a musical performance - I wonder if that word, music, was used in the description. It shouldn't have been...

That's not a criticism of the music on its face, which is not my cup of tea, but whatever - I get that it is for others and that's cool.

I'm just commenting that it was a dance performance and if I were going to rate it as a dance performance, I'd say it kinda sucked. Not hard on the eyes, but I wasn't really wowed performance-wise.

Let's just call it what it is - the showcasing of middle-aged female bodies. Kinda wished I didn't let my 8yo and 11yo stay up to watch it, but whatevs, I wasn't too worried about their sensibilities.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    RHCP should take lip syncing lessons from these 2 because they fooled me. Butt, maybe they were distracting us to other areas?;) I did not like the entertainment because it's not my style. I'd rather rock out to some AC/DC or Tom Petty or Prince or even Bruno Mars. But, considering how so many call it one of the best halftime shows tells me that #MeToo is messed up!

6. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Absolutely horrible. If that is what passes as talent these days......wow.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    "woke" entertainment

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I changed the channel about 1/2 through. I didn't think it was risque or great. I like dancing to some of their music but I wasn't dancing.
    It was interesting that the first person who spoke to me this morning mentioned the show and asked me my opinion. She didn't think it was right that in the U.S.A. we had an all Latino half time show. The kicker? She IS a Latina.

9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Historic because .... ???

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Yeah, she was “sitting” all right.. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I'm a rock/blues guy myself, so it wasn't my style of music. I can appreciate the talent to dance and move like that because my moves and rhythm are less than that of a rock. I certainly don't mind watching a beautiful woman.

But, as you mentioned, it is so confusing/mixed message to perform like that in the face of women empowerment, women aren't sex objects, #MeToo (pound me too ), etc.

12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I couldn't care less about the Latin thing. Jenny Lopez is American- who cares where her ancestors came from. IDK about the other one, but the Stones are from England, u2 from Ireland. Not an issue.
    But my problem with it is that this is supposed to be general audiences- like kids. 10 year olds, or younger.
    This was tame compared to strip clubs I guess, but that doesn't mean its ok for 10 year olds.

I compare all Super bowl shows to U2's back in 02. In that one, right after 9/11, U2 brought a message of hope and love.
    They sought to heal and bring a nation together rocked by the 9/11 tragedy.
    At the end Bono, the Irishman, opened up his jacket to reveal an American flag liner, saying, in effect "We are all Americans."
    Like JFK saying "Ich bin ein Berliner" back in the day.
    It was just chilling, and so uplifting. So beautiful.

Last night was a lot of things- but mostly about selling sex. Appealing to our baser instincts in a lowest common denominator kind of way.
    Nothing to be proud of- just a bunch of nice looking women, crap music, and stripper pole dancing.

Music, and art, can lift up, like u2, or drag down to the gutter, like last night.
    But certainly if the NFL was serious about treating women as equals, not seeing them as sex objects, this didn't help that message.
    The main message I got was "sex sells" and "Let me see if I can outdo the Janet Jackson thing back in 03."

But the women were nice looking- no doubt.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I think we are all showing our age. I teach at a small university and the student population here thought it was great. As I get older my range of different types of music is less. I am stuck in the 60's.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Are people confused? Beyonce was not a performer. They just showed her once sitting in a site.

15. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not my kinda of music. Definitely my kind of show. I wish they would get naked though.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As June Cleaver said, I think maybe they were a little bit hard on the Beaver.

• Funny x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Jennifer Lopez!!! Shows how much I know (or care)... but JLo (see how hip I am) looked good for 50 nonetheless. I'm with you on the music (though I'm a petty guy and not so much Timberlake or Prince). But the point stands - the target audience is 30-40 and urban or suburban (80% of Americans), not rural (20% of Americans). You and I probably are in violent agreement as to what we want to watch, but we are a shrinking demographic that already likes football and they are looking forward. Anyway, more time than I think the issue deserves for how little I care....

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Lighten up, Francis.

wasn’t great, but wasn’t super offensive to me. A bit risqué I guess.

I never actually met a halftime show I liked.

19. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Next time, if you don't want to see puppies, watch the puppy bowl.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    More than anything, I was amazed at how great Shakira looks at age 43. She was popular about 17 years ago(!). I knew J-Lo was in it, but wasn't sure about the other performer. Thought . . . that sounds like Shakira and I remember my students doing moves like that to a Shakira song many years ago. But that couldn't possibly be Shakira, since she looks about 25. Well, I'll be dammed.

I don't like lip syncing and this was obviously most lip synced, with some live singing. I do, OTOH, love Latin music and culture. I agree that this show was risqué and my wife agreed that she shouldn't play the video in her college course for elementary education majors. At the same time, I grew to appreciate the culture after having taught in a Latino hood for 10 years. I love that they represented Latino culture in Miami. I don't see much to worry about, though folks will love to critique the Superbowl halftime show.

And I won't claim best show or anything, because I haven't reviewed them all. In 1993, though, MJ put on one heck of a show.