Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Say something good about our veterans

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Nov 5, 2019.

1. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Thank you to everyone who has served! I can not imagine what many have been through. My dad served in the Navy in WWII in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. I had two uncles that were POWs in Japan and Manchuria. All have passed now. They are among the finest examples of the USA and continue to be my role models in the current noise in the system. Sadly, I fear we are losing what these heroes stood for.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. g8t0rb8t

g8t0rb8t Senior

Oct 21, 2012
    Republic of Texas
    At this point in my life I'm glad I'm a veteran and not active duty :)! Jokes aside, the military is probably one of the few organizations left in America today that actively embodies the principles this country was founded on and I greatly appreciate all that are serving, have served, and gave their life serving.

Think about it, in a land predicated on individual liberty and personal rights, those that join the military voluntarily sacrifice many of those rights to the greater good of the republic so that those not willing to make that sacrifice may remain free. This is the definition of public virtue and something that I believe is sadly lacking in most of our nation's other institutions and not taught to our younger citizens today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Went in at 17 years old in 1974. Did not go to Nam,was security policeman in Air force.
    Ask for all overseas bases and they sent me to Homestead in Miami,6 hours from home

4. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    That is so interesting, and unfortunate. Your experience runs counter to what I have experienced across time and locations.

I was unaware of the Lowe's program but was shopping while wearing my old tanker jacket. The Lowe's employee (younger gentleman) asked if I had the discount and I said I wasn't aware. He briefly explained it, pointed me to the place in the store they could enter my information and then told me to bring my receipt back afterwards and they would retroactively apply the discount. He was actively encouraging me to participate. I have also noted that, regardless of where I shop at a Lowe's (I have ben in them in Florida,, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky) each time I request the discount, the cashier always says "Thanks for serving." and not in that bored "Have a nice day" manner. Lowe's also has assigned parking spaces out front for Veterans, a relatively recent phenomenon, but it's cool to nod and greet the others parking in them, some very young.

There is no "discount card" for veterans. It's based upon your phone number or Lowe's customer loyalty number. I would say you ran into an outlier, and a uniquely bad representation of Lowe's employees and I would notify the manager so that person does less damage to their brand in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    There are only two jobs in the Military - INFANTRY & support :)

72720720_665255513459_1698100476790177792_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Thanks to our servicemen and women now and through history.

Quick note: In July my brother in law, unfortunately, passed from Cancer. We were up in the Panhandle, St. Sylvester in Navarre, Fla. Near Gulf Breeze, right there on 98. His ashes we brought to The Naval cemetery in Pensacola, kind of near the golf course near the Pensacola Naval Air museum. (right where the Blue Angles practice) Seeing he was Law enforcement and a former Navy man he had the whole entourage with police, veterans groups, motorcycles and flags, Police cruisers etc. We left the church, drove through three counties and each department handed us off to the next...driving down highway 98 through, Navarre, Gulf Breeze, and over the bridge and through Pensacola was amazing. All the traffic stopped on both sides of the highway, not because they were supposed to,(on a four lane divided highway) but simply out of respect. It made us all cry just knowing people cared like that. Obviously, Destin, Navarre, Niceville, Pensacola-the whole area has a huge military presence, but it was awesome. If that was out here in Los Angeles people would be giving you the finger! I hope not, but sometimes it sure feels like that out here.

They deserve respect.
    Go Military.
    Go Gators.

7. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    The Marine Corps celebrates it's birthday on November 10th. This year marks the 244th birthday.

Happy Birthday to my fellow leathernecks. Oorah!

• Like Like x 1
  8. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Gen. Patton and I disagree.

9. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

This isn't the whole story here but alright. Something happened or you didn't seek out your benefits properly.

10. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

I asked for Germany and ended up in Central Alaska. The Army doesn't listen either

11. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    No. This is the whole story.

12. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

It doesn't work that way. At least if the discharge is Honorable or Other than Honorable. If Dishonorable then something happened. Otherwise, someone didn't apply for benefits or didn't seek the proper avenues.

13. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I served two years during Vietnam and received everything that was coming to me. Including the olive-drab weenie. You know exactly what you're getting when you go in ... unless, as you say, "something happened." No complaints here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    My stepfather is buried at the same cemetery and that is my desired final resting spot also. But I strongly disagree on the traffic pulling over thing and have since I was a much younger driver based on the following:

1. This practice isnt just for the military. Nope. It's for all funeral processions of any size, any location, any time. The problem is that the stoppages happen without warning and going from 60 to zero at a moment's notice is actually very dangerous on busy highways but much less so for the rural roads.
    2. As I said, there is no warning. Suddenly cars are slamming on brakes in front of you for no reason. The stoppage occurs on any road divided or not. The danger is obvious due to speed and the suddenness of the situation.
    3. Some will say "its showing respect towards the family for their loss" but logic says why? Stopping a car is respect? Then why dont all pedestrians stop also? Why dont businesses stop being businesses as the deceased person passes by? Why only drivers?

This topic came up years ago and the feedback turned ugly then and it will now because some just like to see a population freeze its actions on command for a feel good moment. But I have seen that not all drivers are travelling with a happy dappy nowhere to be or reason to be somewhere moment and dont really care that a person is on the way to a final resting spot. With the amount of traffic and speeds traveled it is actually no less dangerous than cars slamming on their brakes suddenly for a dog in the road. Both are sudden and unexpected and dangerous.

Some will say "what's the problem with taking a moment?" And i say "what's the problem by not taking a moment?".

15. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

I did 3 years, got sent home on medical after trashing my back, knees, and both my feet. Was able to get 2 degrees at UF, get medical help (which has really really been much better over the last 3-5 years), used the VA home loan and more. I've helped friends find benefits or connected them with the proper channels to talk to for benefits. Things are getting better. Nothing is perfect, I have some friends who are really messed up and at least being compensated for such and receiving treatment and I have some friends who are messed up and still fighting for recognition of the severity of their issues. But I have hope that it will work itself out.

16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    In case you missed it.......

17. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    ("The Battle of the Bulge") of the History Channel series "Patton 360". The show uses documentary footage, computer animation and veteran interviews to walk the viewer through Patton's military career. As serious documentaries go....it's fairly lightweight stuff......but fun to watch. Anyhow.....when they got to the part about 4th Armored Division breaking through and "rescuing" the "beleaguered" 101st Airborne Division "trapped" in Bastogne...........well,.....let's just say Jim "Pee Wee" Martin took serious exception to that description of events. Jim took even greater exception to the narrator's statement, "If Patton isn't able to break through to Bastogne, the men of the 101st Airborne Division will be annihilated! ."

"We didn't need to be "rescued". "We could have held out against the 5th Panzer Army until hell froze over as long as we were resupplied". Jim did acknowledge that Patton's turning 3rd Army on it's heals and breaking through to Bastogne was quite a feat in the short time it was done.

18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Senior

Jul 11, 2019
    Hitting 20 years next March. It's flown by. The Army has made me a better man, and while it hasn't all been a bed of roses, it's been a great career. Been all over the world and have so many fond memories. It's been my pleasure to serve!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All of my uncles, my dad and oldest brother are/were veterans... GOD bless them all. :):D

• Like Like x 1
  20. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    I shop at Lowes rather than the other buiding supply stores because of their 24-7 veteran policy.
    They started checking veteran status due to non-veterans abusing the program. I thank them for checking mine.