Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Say something good about our veterans

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Nov 5, 2019.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Darn you Bush! After all these years i am sincerely inclined to say respect to you! That has to have been the best words i have ever seen you post. Very well done!

2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    My son's Boy Scout troop is serving food the local VFW hall (Dunedin) on Monday night. We're cooking 100-lb pork, 3 fried turkeys, and sides. They do a lot for the Troop and now we're going to give some back.

My dad is a 96-year old WWII vet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I'll never forget the stories told to me by my Grandaddy who served in the US Navy during WWII. He was on a destroyer and had such good hearing of pitch that they put him on listening on sonar. His unit was very accurate. In fact they were the best to come out of training. They also were involved in Japan and had many missions where they would surround a decoy hoping to confuse the enemy.
    He is also a huge reason I became a Gator fan. Every time we visited from Missouri, he reminded me I was born in Gainesville and always told me about the Gators. I was hooked soon after I grew up and knew what football was about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I never served in the armed forces but I have tremendous respect for those who have. My Dad was in the Navy and served in the Korean War. It saddens and angers me that some of our returning veterans are not getting the care that they deserve from the VA. Unfortunately I think that has been a problem for a long time now. Not sure why the VA is such a mess. Don’t want to get too controversial, instead I want to thank all of those who have served to protect our freedom. We owe you more than we could ever repay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I Love this!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    So very grateful for our men and women in uniform. Both my parents were veterans, served in the Navy during WWII. We all reap the benefits and blessings because of their sacrifice and love of country. God bless our veterans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    My dad was in the Coast Guard in WWII and was involved with rescue during the D-Day invasion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks garettk, I've read it twice already and other parts many more. I must say I was shocked to read his accounts on Peleliu that opened my eyes even more to my Dad's story. My Dad never shared much but what he did share matched up with what is in the book. Now I understand why he chose not to talk about what he saw. I encourage you to finish it and learn more about the reasons behind the bombings and the decisions we faced.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Was watching Marty and McGee just now on SECN, and they are doing some special Veterans Day segments.

Thanks for all the posts so far - I feel very privileged and humbled to know you and read about your military family members through this forum.

I will post some pics later and hope to see some from others as well.

10. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Our upperclassman are doing well, coming together and providing leadership to the youngsters.

Oh, you mean US Veterans? Heck yeah, these folks rock!
    I am super Grateful for their service and sacrifices!
    God Bless our Veterans!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    That's easy - the definition of American heros.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Would like to say a huge THANK YOU to ALL VETS that have served or are serving our country to keep our freedom alive.
    My Dad served in the Army for 22 years, 82nd Airborne, Green Berets, 7th Special Forces, (Most during the Vietnam War) Sadly, he passed in 1977, at the young age of 45, from throat cancer.
    Had all of my Mom's five brothers serve in the Military, the oldest two in WW2. My Uncle Vernon had one of his eyes shot out, in The Battle of the Hurtgen Forest, against the German Army. He was 19 years old but lived until his late 60's when he passed.
    I TOTALLY respect what ALL Military enlisted have done for, and are doing, for our country. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

GO COUNTRYMEN AND COUNTRYWOMEN!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Senior

Sep 9, 2018
    As current active duty for 17 years I still don’t know how to respond to “thank you for your service”. Do I say thank you or you’re welcome? I still haven’t figured it out. I mean really it’s both. You’re welcome for me giving up what I give up and thank you for recognizing it. It’s sad on how much is overlooked one what we go through on a given day. I can’t speak for other services but it’s not easy no matter which you’re in. Imagine your life now. Then imagine that same life but you don’t see your significant other....your son...your daughter for a week...a month....6 months....a year....2 years. It’s hard to imagine. Some would say “hell yeah i’ve been trying to get away from my wife for 2 years lol”. It’s not the same thing. Factor in divorce rates in the military are very very high, suicide rates are very very high for military because our life is in fact different than your average person. I love my job. I love protecting the American Dream, I love letting you have that voice, even if different. So thank you for the love, you’re welcome even if you don’t have the love

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Senior

Sep 9, 2018
    Also thank you to the past, present and future vets

15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Appreciate your heartfelt post, Hawaii.

I think every situation is probably different - because not everyone has the same personality in or out of uniform.

For what it's worth...when I approach a veteran and say "Thank you for your service." - I don't expect a "You're welcome." or a "Thank You." But either one would be fine and really and truly doesn't matter as much as the gesture of respect I'm trying to offer - because as you said - there are so many who don't truly understand the level of dedication and sacrifice involved. Even I don't to be honest.

I have a pic of my Dad on the beach in Hawaii I will post later. He was stationed on the cruiser Helena when the attack on Pearl Harbor took place. I also have a 3 page typed letter he wrote about the attack.

Please take care of yourself! You are in our hearts, brother!

• Like Like x 1
  16. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I got goosebumps.. I read this and glossed over it originally until I saw intimigator respond. I read again and this is profound.

My son is currently 7 yrs navy. Has been in Bahrain, has been on the Stennis all over the pacific and now luckily at mayport. I am thankful and grateful.

We are losing 300 WWII service members per day and of 16mil Americans served in some capacity, fewer than 390,000 remain. Thank you!

WWII Veteran Statistics | The National WWII Museum | New Orleans

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr GC Legend

Apr 15, 2007
    I too used to feel uncomfortable with the "thank you for your service" but after a lot of pondering it I just say the truth, The honor was all mine. It was a pleasure to serve the country that I love so much. I might be old and crippled now, but if needed, I think I've got one more "request permission to come aboard" left in me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. volungator

volungator Freshman

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    These "Say something..." threads are click bait.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

20. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    I usually just say, "It was my pleasure." That phrase succinctly captures my sentiments.

• Like Like x 1