Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Say something good about our veterans

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    With Veterans Day coming up on the 11th, I thought it fitting we show our appreciation.

I know we have many veterans who are forum members and I hope they post something here so we can recognize their service and sacrifice.

My Mom and Dad both served in the Navy during WW II, so I would like to thank them both. Mom at 96 is still with us.

Thank you, vets!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I have to be careful and respect your intention here but as a 12 year USAF veteran that receives zero entitlements for my service (no Commissary, Exchsnge or Medical, Education and no ID card to even enter a military base) because I only did "12 years" should explain what i feel about the true gratitude of America.

I speak of my beliefs against war and am called a non patriotic traitor.
    I speak of being against A2 and I am a traitor.
    I try to get medical care in a VA hospital and I am in tier 9000 or so (sarcasm intended) because I didn't claim hearing loss etc.

The parades...the free McDonald's meals...the "thank you for your service" comments completely bypass what a veteran isnt getting.

I respect your intent but maybe the discussion should be how can we get the United States government to respect its promise to those that will blindly die for a command.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    To my Dad,
    Thank you for your service and your Marine brothers who fought so bravely in the Battle of Peleliu Island and later on the Caroline Islands in the Pacific. Those conditions and what you went through are unimaginable. I'll never forget your duty called to you and your unit. For rolling barrels of fuel up the beach while taking on sniper fire and picking up arms in the landing party. For keeping those Corsairs flying and supporting those flying men. For surviving. Thank you Dad. I salute you because in my life what you did still matters. Now may you rest in peace.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Your parents were part of the Greatest Generation. We owe them so much. Sadly there aren’t many left

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    What I love about veterans is the wide range of profiles, opinions and beliefs that defy any preconceived notions of what “the military” thinks. Any who have served knows this to be true but non-vets are often ignorant.

I differ with my brother’s articulate sentiments above in a few areas and agree in others. I believe veterans who serve and are injured in that line of duty should receive injury-related care that befits the dignity of their service and we do not consistently deliver that to them.

I appreciate the sentiment behind the thanks expressed to me for my service. It’s a courtesy that it seems mean-spirited to reject or mock. I also accept that if you have not served, you don’t get it.

I do object to the “veneration” some wish to direct at veterans, as if such service makes us better than our fellow citizens. We are no better people for having served. We did what we saw as our duty. Maybe. Or maybe we had run out of life options and just needed 3 hots and a cot. Who can decide? When we leave the service our duty is to return to the citizenry, reclaim our civil rights that we lost while serving, and contribute to the society we stood to defend. Vote, go to church, hold a job, raise functional citizen children, do not expect the state to love you but love it as far as we are obliged nonetheless.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Thank you to all of our veterans, both present and past.

They are our daily reminders that our Freedom was never free.... They paid the price for us without hesitation and for that I am eternally grateful to each and every one of them for the rest of my days and beyond.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. stp_gator

stp_gator Senior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    Our veterans and active duty service members make it possible for all of us to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. THANK YOU VETERANS!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I am an Army veteran and am also denied access to VA medical care and benefits because, like you, I don't "qualify".

As far as the thank yous, store discounts and free meals, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Our Viet Nam veterans were treated horribly when they came home. It was shameful.

The American people have mostly corrected those actions and veterans don't get treated like that today. Although it sometimes makes me uncomfortable when people thank me, I realize that is my personal issue and the other person is trying to show their appreciation in some way.

I would much rather get a thank you, 10% discount at Lowe's, and a free meal once a year than to get spit on and be called baby killer in my own country.

Please try to separate the two issues; I do. Despite the VA looking at me as a second or third class veteran unworthy of benefits, I'm still extremely proud of my service, my country, and how most Americans treat veterans today.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    To all Vets past present and future. The nation is grateful that you are willing to put your life on hold to defend.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    I used to look sexy in my dress blues. Used to being the key word.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    These guys/gals deserve everything from us. It's because of them we get to come to a message board and spew out our opinions without fear of punishment(other than maybe a suspension) but if yiu have an extra $20 this weekend, put it towards a donation or buy a service member a meal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Everything.

Here's to my dad, the Korean War USAF B-26 bomber pilot who has seen his last Veteran's Day, having passed a few months ago in his 90th year, and also to my son who has served three tours of duty in Iraq in the USMC.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Love you, man. Much respect for your service.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    If you are looking for a good outfit to help veterans transitioning (and there are many, but I have personal knowledge of this one) look up the All Secure Foundation.

https://www.allsecurefoundation.org/

16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'm very sorry for your loss, True. 90 years is a good run. My step-father passed away at 90 too and he was a Coast Guard veteran Korean War, as well.

Please pass along to your son my gratitude and respect for his and his fellow warriors' service and dedication. Helping keep us safe and free.

17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    They're my heroes, each and every one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Sincere thanks, Bazza. I've worked with a lot of Coast Guardsmen in my career, and, they don't get enough credit for what they do every day.

Will be flying the flag high for all of these patriots on Monday.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The only thing I ask from my fellow countrymen is be worthy of the sacrifices made on your behalf. No thanks, no Lowe's discount, or free meal once a year, just live your life and be worthy of the sacrifice.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    upload_2019-11-6_11-31-14.jpeg

May I kindly recommend this book. I'm about halfway finished. While Bill O'Reilly is a notable political figure, this book has zero political leanings and is strictly from a historical perspective. Also, Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy were excellent reads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1