Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Saw highlights from last year’s Georgia game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 31, 2019.

1. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I re-watched the game as well and had similar thoughts. Fromm really took advantage of our backup DB's. It felt like whenever they needed a big play, often on 3rd down, he would throw a great pass to either an open WR or a back shoulder throw. Fortunately, we have better CB's (healthy) this year and they lost those WR's. However, we did open up some nice holes in the running game last year. I don't expect that to happen this year. It will be a battle for sure.

2. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I've read a lot on this site in the past year about the issues at DB last year and how that was basically the reason we won. If you want to hang onto that mentality that's obviously your prerogative.

But it's just an excuse.

Football has injuries that creates problems for teams and you try to exploit them. We did so, fairly effectively, last year. Fromm completed 17 passes last year and we won by 19. He also completed 4 passes two years ago and we won by 35. Different games have different sets of circumstances. You try to figure out as early as possible where the holes are in the other team and just keep attacking.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Fine.

If you lose Fromm and your 5 starting offensive linemen, we’ll see what we can do against their subs.

No excuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    That's obviously a bit more extreme of an example. A more comparative one would be if we lost both of our starting CBs against a similarly talented QB to Fromm. Which we did. Earlier this year against Notre Dame.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    He
    Hello Hairy -

I do not disagree. You play with what you have. As I have gotten older I have come to accept wins and losses for what they are.

But you know, in a tight game, against a heated rival, the loser always wants to present the 'excuses" for the loss.

I don't play that game anymore. The only game that I think was a legit rip-off was the Swindle in the Swamp. I will never concede that loss to FSU, we were cheated, plain and simple.

But on to UGA, CDM needs to beat UGA but he only has had one crack at it.
    Having said that from listening to Finebaum and the UGA callers I think it's pretty clear that this game is perhaps more critical to Smart than CDM.

So lets get it on! Wish you and all the fans a safe experience if you are going to the game. I've got my pretend bulldog ready to piano wire to my bumper and drag from Jax all the way through the state of jawja on my way home!

I like to paper Mache my windows with the Game Score and drag my bulldog. It's always a wonderful drive! (When we win of course)!

• Like Like x 1
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Hairy you often bring good insight but comparing Florida losing four DBs against Georgia is vastly different than Georgia losing two DBs against Notre Dame.

The talent level and depth that Kirby has recruited is only behind Bama and Clemson. The talent and depth that shark humper recruited here is less than stellar.

It is no secret that Georgia has been worlds ahead of Florida for the last five or so seasons. We made two bad hires, and you had a consistent solid program. We may not be there yet but we are on the way. You ain’t winning by 35 anytime soon, IMO

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Supergatorfan

Supergatorfan GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I like it when we outsmart the opposition but I think I prefer to beat our opponents physically and watch them quit :). Having the ability to do that never goes away and I look forward to building a running game like Georgia's to go along with our passing game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Disagree.
    Nothing beats starting the game with good vibes, knowing our coach is good for an extra seven points we weren't counting on. Or fourteen points if we are playing Chump or "not falling for the banana in the tailpipe" Taggart.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    That was last year.
    This year, you lost to your boy Will Mushcramp, who then lost to a horrible UT team.
    How can you do that with all of your AA's?
    Your boy Kirby Shart will take you to depths you could have never imagined.
    We will all be laughing at you all the way.
    But, that's what we do.
    It's not personal, its Florida Georgia.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    You lose all credibility with this response. You say injuries are part of the game but then say yeah but it would be different if we lost so and so. To be fair this is not your style as you usually post valid even if disagreeable perspective from a rival. We were razor thin last year just like this year. Losing Wilson to start the year was bad enough but then losing Henderson and Stewart for other reasons was crucial. McWilliams was eaten alive.

11. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    If I’m UGA I’d line up 2 TEs and run between tackles. UF is very average at the DT position

Run Blitz then take downfield shots. I feel w the RBs and OL talent Ga has put together they could beat just about everyone handily sans Bama but for some reason they like to let Fromm screw it up

• Like Like x 1
  12. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Someone made the point earlier in this thread that you lost both of your starting CBs for our game last year. I was just pointing out that we had the same situation happen earlier this year.

13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

We had lost 4 DBs...but who's counting??:rolleyes::D

14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    @ugahairydawgs nobody is making excuses and saying y’all didn’t win the game. We are saying that we did not get run off the field and there’s a chance we beat you with a healthy secondary.

15. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    The fake FG from the 30 on 4th and 12

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Please don't feed the recruiting-championships-over-on-the-field-success troll. We are 3-2 versus them in the last 5 years. At Georgia's current trajectory they will have the 7 SEC titles (1 not awarded for suspension) Spurrier got in 12 years in the next 60 years. Dont comfort their whipped pup souls.

17. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I think he was just being polite. We can live in a world where I pull for my team and don’t like yours, you pull for your team and don’t like mine and at the end of the day we can talk about it without dropping down to 10 year old versions of ourselves and calling each other names.

18. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Quit trying to ruin our Buzz

19. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    For some reason every time I see that picture I forget about football

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Personally, I don’t think we’ll win.

Ever notice how often Georgia TEs make big plays against us?