Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Saw highlights from last year’s Georgia game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 31, 2019.

1. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Let’s just say that Franks didn’t have a good game.

I wonder who this year’s Nauta is going to be?

2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No nauta no franks.

King Trask leads UF to massive win. Fromm buries head in towel at end of game. Kirby wonders what went wrong.

• Like x 9
    • Winner x 3
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  3. jsarms1

jsarms1 Junior

Jan 2, 2009
    The End...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    It is going to be Kyle Pitts.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We had 3 of our 4 best DBs out for the UGA game last year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I believe Copeland is going to have a monster game...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If CDM calls the right game several could have huge games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I agree but with the defense focused on Pitts, with Toney back to account for, and Jefferson and Grimes on the outside, I have a feeling Copeland is going to be a little overlooked.

9. Instigator22

Instigator22 Sophomore

Nov 10, 2014
    I can imagine Kirby having a feeling of doom when looking at this matchup

he knows he has athletes but must absolutely know that Mullen is better than him and is probably 3 steps ahead of him. I bet he can’t sleep or eat knowing what’s ahead. I bet he is overthinking every play and time management miscue he has ever made. He must be thinking about that goal line stand.

one thing about being a gator fan and alumni is the pure joy of OUTSMARTING your competitor. It’s one thing to beat them physically but it is sure fun to see the clever wins from our great coaches past and present. (‘97 fsu game. Meyer 06 championship with leak and Tebow. Last year vs LSU and MSU)

chomp chomp!

• Like Like x 4
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Exactly. The UGA D will be fast and aggressive, but I might blow a gasket if the refs ignore the UGA secondary mugging our WR's like LSU's did.

My guess is Copeland and Grimes will have a couple of their usual good catches in this game, but the main guys I think will really excel against UGA is Pitts, Jefferson, Hammond, and Swain. Swain, imo, is our overall best, clutch WR this year (and my favorite).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And perhaps but I wonder if using all those targets means Trask has to lock on or if their being in plays will mean the normal progressions he’s used to. I guess all they all won’t be in at once.

12. nmd55

nmd55 GC Legend

May 24, 2007
    Rewatched the game and here are my take aways (in summary UGa is worse this year and we are significantly better than last year)

Defense:
    1. Last years game Henderson, Wilson and Stewart did not play. Shawn Davis ONLY played 2 series (which he was awesome on). I expect to see a heavy dose of Hendo, Wilson, Stewart and Davis.
    2. Vosean Joseph was terrible in this game, missed tackles and forgot to cover the TE. I'm not optimistic that Ventrell Miller will be great, but he couldnt be much worse
    3. Jachai Polite was secretly terrible in this game, he continually got pushed past the QB (this should have been an indicator he wasnt ready for the NFL). I do not expect this to happen to Greenard. Zuniga was a beast in this game he played a lot of DT with CeCe at end and they were both really good. Will need Zuniga to be healthy and Moon to have a big game.
    4. Grantham blitzed a lot in this game. Fromm was awesome when he got blitzed, he recognized the blitz adjusted the routes and protection and burned us. I don't think we will blitz much this year. I don't have a ton of confidence that we will win against their tackles but they are vulnerable in the interior OL. We need a great game from Shuler/Campbell and Zuniga at DT.

Offense:
    1. Franks was bad and the game plan last year was never going to work because we tried to beat a fast defense laterally. It's hard to blame Mullen because we were so limited at the QB position. Watching our offense last year compared to this year and its amazing how different we are. Last year we could easily run the ball for 6 yards on first down but then have a drive stopped because we tried to get a first down throwing the ball behind the LOS.
    2. Cyontai was really good in this game, and we miss having an excellent blocking TE. Pitts is a huge upgrade over Moral Stephens but Krull has been a downgrade over Cyontai.
    3. Scarlett had the fumble on the second play but was awesome overall. We really miss his combination of power and speed. I expect the OL to play very well this year. Last year our OL pushed them around we arent as good as last year but UGa lost their best DL Walker too. I wouldn't be surprised if we went run heavy early out of spread formations with Pierce.
    4. The offensive tempo is going to be interesting I suspect both teams will go slow. So don't be surprised if we only get 50-55 snaps. With that few opportunities turnovers are going to be the key.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is obviously reasons to be optimistic.

In last years game, the Gators started their first two drives with a fumble and then an interception. Then, later in the game, down by only 6, Franks fumbled the ball our 1-yard line, which did lead to a great defensive stop, but still gave up 3 points. Franks was completely ineffective and, BTW, he carried that poor play into the Missouri game.

We were without our starting CBs Henderson and Wilson, which allowed Fromm to pick us apart with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. In fact, Georgia played perfect with no lost fumbles or interceptions where Florida had 3 turnovers.

For Georgia they had 429 total yards and Fromm obviously got 240 yards of that, but on the other end of those passes, 192 of those yards left/graduated. Obviously, their #1 WR was a 5-star, top-at-his-position recruit last year, but they have had to over-rely on him because no one else on their team is really stepping up. And even though Swift is back there, some 70+ yards from scrimmage no longer is. You could make a claim that only about 40% of their offensive production from last year is returning. Further, you could argue that no one is really stepping up on that offense at all. Ignore the numbers for the most part, when they wanted to score points, they have been unable.

All you need to know about their offense, and their weapons, is that earlier this year, at home, facing two overtimes, against the 77th-ranked defense in the country, already spotted on the 25-year-line, they came away with 0 points. Or, to put it another way, 6 total plays for 4 yards and an interception.

Against Kentucky, Fromm was 9/12 for 35 yards. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Over the past four games, their yards/attempt is 6.76, which would put them at 90th in the country. Their running game is what's been bailing them out and they haven't faced any top rushing defenses yet. If Florida does get back their two stars on the DL, I fully expect them to play at top-10 defense level. If that happens, I don't really see how Georgia can score points.

For Florida, surprisingly, their rushing numbers have secretly improved since the start of the season. Everyone knew our passing game was improving (and we're the best passing team Georgia will have faced).

For our first three games (excluding non-FBS), we had 88 designed runs from scrimmage, netting 293 yards (doesn't include sacks; 3.33 avg). The average Rush D ranking of these three teams is #49, giving up an average of 142.67 yards per game. We averaged 105.33 yards/game. We had 37.34/game LESS than we should have, given the competition.

For our last three games, we had 95 designed runs from scrimmage, netting 491 yards (doesn't include sacks; 5.17 avg). The average Rush D ranking of these three teams is #25, giving up an average of 116.08 yards per game. We averaged 144 yards/game. We had 27.92/game MORE than we should have, given the competition. That's a 65+ yard swing from the negative to the positive. You can say, sure, those were break-away runs in those last three games, but that's part of the running game. In all those big runs, we got into the second-level. That's something we were not doing early on.

I am not saying we're 1995 Nebraska here LOL, but we are improving. It's the kind of thing you want to see throughout the year.

Add in Toney as the X-factor? Oh boy. We could be on the cusp of something very big here.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Would be pretty impressive, given all of our WR depth and getting back Toney who sort of plays Copeland’s position.

15. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

16. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Some things I would add to your very good points are:

Kair Elam is already better than McWilliams was, so we have depth to not even have to move Dean to corner if we had an injury at CB. In tandem with that, Georgia's WR are not as good getting open, which amplifies the difference in having Henderson and Wilson for this game and makes Dean's deficiencies less glaring. The second is Burney is a great addition to stop some tight end passes over the middle that killed us last year. If we have Greenard and Zuniga healthy the ability to stop the run game will be night and day from our previous two games.

17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Only disagreement with your post would be Mullen's game plan. I thought he totally outschemed them in the first half. Sure we went lateral a lot, we always do but we took our shots down field. If Franks hits that opening play things could have looked a lot different. Even still we regrouped and had the game in our grasp until about 8 minutes left I believe. Also Frank's threw one of his best ever passes, a strike down the middle for a TD in the 3rd as well as a downfield sideline throw with an even better catch by Toney.

We just didn't execute and turned the ball over

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Man, Smart brought in 4 5-star offensive linemen from 2016-2019 and has another one coming in 2020.

How do they recruit so we’ll?

19. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Mullen has recruited well for the O-Line.
    Also, I am not all that impressed with 550 pound lineman.

20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I didn't remember until reading an article today that CJ Henderson missed that game. He and Wilson were both out and I believe pretty boy threw for 240.