Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Samsung Phones Are Spontaneously Texting Images to Random Contacts

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by fastsix, Jul 2, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Say you take a picture of a bushtit in your backyard, well that picture might be sent to your mom without your permission. Hope mom likes seeing your bushtit photos.

Samsung phones are spontaneously texting users’ photos to random contacts without their permission

Bad news for Samsung phone owners: some devices are randomly sending your camera roll photos to your contacts without permission. As first spotted by Gizmodo, users are complaining about the issue on Reddit and the company’s official forums. One user says his phone sent all his photos to his girlfriend. The messages are being sent through Samsung’s default texting app Samsung Messages. According to reports, the Messages app does not even show users that files have been sent; many just find out after they get a response from the recipient of the random photos sent to them.

A Samsung spokesperson tells The Verge it’s “aware of the reports” and that its technical teams are “looking into it.” The forums indicate that Galaxy S9 and S9+ devices are affected, but may not be the only ones afflicted with the bug. Samsung is encouraging those experiencing this issue to call the company directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I don't use the default messaging app, so I wonder if it effects those who give the stock apps no permissions?

3. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Hope they like pics of cats and car engine upgrades. You dirty power pussy people.

4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    That’s what you get for owning a Samsung. :devil:

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My Samsung is so old (Galaxy S5) that it's not really affected. According to the article the anomaly apparently only affects S7 and newer models.