Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sam's Choice CJ McCollum

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by murphree_hall, Jul 28, 2021.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Myreon Jones is the subject, here. My comp for his style of play is CJ McCollum as the thread title suggests. First adjective that comes to mind is crafty. He is a very intelligent player. Extremely skilled ball handler, who is patient with the ball and understands how to manipulate defenders into being out of position when they try to either follow him or switch off on picks. Left or right hand, he can get to the basket and finish with finesse with either hand. Great court vision and nice touch on passes. As far as shooting, he is one of those guys who can shoot from any spot or angle, and is not affected by a defender's hand right in his face or follow-through space. Excellent defensive instincts and plays the passing lane well.

Some limitations are that he is not what I'd call a physical specimen. We'll see if he gets pushed around in the SEC. Does not have elite hops or speed, but makes up for it with great quickness and excellent footwork. Nobody will confuse him with a Ja Morant or Jalen Suggs type athlete. Not sure about his on ball defense... we'll have to see during the season. Has a slight bit of college-version Lonzo Ball left to right action in his jump shot, but nowhere as pronounced and doesn't seem to be an issue.

Overall, nice pickup. Like all the transfers, we need to see if he can maintain his level of play in the SEC. If he is the replacement for a guy like Noah Locke, he is an immediate and significant upgrade.

2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Enjoying the write ups Murphy. Keep them up. I will admit I’m losing faith in MW but desperately want this team to bring me back.

3. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Another great write up, keep it up!

So given his ball handling skills is he the de facto PG/backup PG for us?

Sounded like PG depth was going to be an issue but with him, Appleby, and McKissic, won’t we be fine?

murphree_hall likes this.
  4. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I know what Sam’s Choice is :)

easycoastgator likes this.
  5. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    He definitely has the skills to play point guard, and it would probably look similar to how Tre Mann ran point. Looking at our depth at the position, I doubt they’d need him to unless there is foul trouble or injury.

6. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Should also mention since he’s coming from the Big 10 there is not going to be any kind of shock to him in level of competition. He’s already a proven commodity at the highest levels of college basketball.

easycoastgator likes this.
  7. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I hear you, but don’t lose faith. I haven’t. Look at the players who transferred this year... Locke, Payne, Glover... I wasn’t upset to see any of them go. I don’t think all the fans realize just how much better the replacements are. With the addition of Fleming, Jones, McKissic, and Felder this team is stacked.

There is a lot of pessimism about the team, and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think there is much to be excited about. We haven’t really been talking about much besides arguing over whether Coach White should still be here or about the apparent lack of depth at center. I’d like us to talk about the actual players we have and technical aspects of our roster.

GatorStu1 and GratefulGator like this.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I didn't watch all of the film but from what I did he looks to be quick. Very good first step and great acceleration.

9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Talent-wise, we are somewhere in the 7-9 range in the SEC. That will change if KJ can play. Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn are loaded with talent. Then comes LSU, Mississippi State, the Gators and Ole Miss. Don’t get your hopes up too high. Maybe we will outperform some of the teams that appear to have stronger rosters, but I am going into the season without the optimism that I had when Blackshear, Lewis and Mann came into the program. That one hurt, and that’s when I gave up on Mike White.

10. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Wow, almost #10 posts before the negativity set in. That’s gotta be a record around here.

11. UTGator

UTGator Senior

Oct 5, 2010
    Agreed. You have to like a starting lineup of Appleby, Jones, KJ, Felder, and CC with the pieces we would have come off the bench. But no KJ and it's hard to get excited unless we see Phlem or Reeves way overachieve expectations.

12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Not a bad comp but he's a decent defender though right? Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Portland but everything I hear about McCollum is he's a liability on that end.

13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I think you are underrating the roster.

14. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    It would be a nice bonus if he is a great defender. Not a lot of tape on his defense out there, but I did make some comments about what I saw in my original post.

15. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Michigan’s small forward Frank Wagner just went in the first round of the NBA draft, “6’9” 220 lbs.
    Top ten division one team, small forward.

I dream of small forwards this big.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    murphree_hall likes this.