Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Safer to play football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by KendallGator922, Aug 3, 2020.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Agree, and then you see shit like this which is just sad. For some kids college football provides things to these kids other than just sports.... it provides a family like atmosphere, fathers figures to some without one and a possible future and way to get their family out of poverty. Here's what lorenzo lingard posted. Just sad...

[​IMG]

Lorenzo Lingard JR
    @d1champ99

I want to play... even if we gotta be locked in .. nothing at home for me

[​IMG].

On a side note: Lingard looks absolutely JACKED!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

It will “kill their soul”?!??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    Yep. These players have a lot invested in football. Losing that and it is a major hit on them. The disciplined ones will be fine, but others will not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The data should drive the decisions.

What is the % of infected 18-25 year olds in Florida?

What is the % of infected of UF football players?

Yes, the data says being on the football team is safer for the players.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I can only speak from my experience about this pandemic. I've had a close friend who got the virus after visiting his dying brother with the same virus succumb to it. He leaves a wife and six year old daughter. He was 64 and so high risk.

But I also have a twenty something friend who contracted it along with her father. He died, she's been in the hospital for ten weeks, and on a ventilator for eight weeks. She's finally getting better, but now she has to learn how to walk again. Don't know who gave it to who, but having to go through life wondering if you are responsible for your father's death has to be pretty horrible. She has permanent lung damage as well. She will also have a lifetime of debt, thanks to the wonderful American healthcare system.

i have high blood pressure, take blood thinners and am over sixty, three things that increase your rick of death from this virus. If I get it, I will die. I live in rural SC and my wife and I have had to start shopping at a grocery store ten miles away because the closet grocery of full of muh rights people who refuse to wear masks, even though they have signs requiring masks.

I urge all of you to study the 1918 pandemic. There are many lessons to learn, and we seem to be repeating them. This is a once in a lifetime black swan event, and those into game theory, checkout the black swan theory.

Do I want college football. Hell yes, I am going crazy in the quarantine. If it doesn't happen, Im planning on watching the best first game of the season in the history of my school (Hotlz led team against UGA when Chris Carter threw 4 interceptions), the best second game of any season, etc. For example, what is the best second game of the season for the Gators?

Ultimately, it should be the individual athletes choice. Those with great hair that want to play, let them. Those that fear infection shouldn't be forced to play and shouldn't lose their scholarships.

No professional athletes have died from it, because none of them have gotten it. When Tom Brady gets it and recovers, I'll believe the whole "athletes will survive it."

Until then, any son of mine in college football is staying home. No career is worth dying over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Even if we just cared about % of positives amongst athletes.... more will get sick with no football than in the P5 football program.

Best case scenario it’s about liability. Conferences would rather more get sick than someone get sick in the program. If it’s not on their time then they can’t get sued.

Worst case is it’s politics. Canceling the season damages Trump. Unis are already a bastion of far left ideologues... Uni presidents and their dinner party mates care a lot more about far left politics than football.

Neither case cares about minimizing the overall health risk or maximizing the countries overall utility.

7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Hundreds of pro athletes have gotten it. There has only been one major issue from it (Red Sox pitcher).

And many of us have first hand stories on how it’s not worse than a typical cold.

But the reality are stories are just random chance. Your friends got the bad end of luck.

The data is the data. Low single digit death rate, primarily in elderly with other conditions. Younger healthy folks are fine. Worse than the flu but not substantially so.

If you get it you most likely WONT die. But obviously it’s a big enough chance to worry about. I’m not disputing that.

But for a young healthy adult? The odds of dying are probably hitting on a single number on roulette a few straight spins.

Either way it’s a big deal and the worst outbreak in our lifetimes. But it’s also small potatoes compared to other outbreaks.

8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    One major issue from it thus far. Research has shown as many as 20 percent of people who recover from Covid-19 develop cardiac abnormalities, no one knows if or when those abnormalities from those hundreds of pro athletes who contracted the disease will show up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes-coronavirus-heart-complications/

9. Diesel350z

Diesel350z All American

Apr 29, 2007
    It should be a choice it the players want to play or sit out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Some of these kids will get into all sorts of trouble if they go back home. Happens a lot during the off-season

Sad, but thats reality

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    From Greg Sankey, SEC:

"A case can be made that student-athletes are safer on campus than they are at home, one that Sankey made Tuesday morning.

“I certainly think we can make a case and have made a case that they’re in much more healthy situation working out in our facilities with medical care, with health protocols around COVID in this new environment,” Sankey said. “Compared to go lift in local gyms with who knows overseeing you, what kind of health expectations, what kind of workouts, what kind of monitoring. I think that’s really, without a doubt, what we’re continuing to do is support the healthy return of competition.”"

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The argument that players are safer on campus makes sense, but if football is postponed to the spring I don't see programs sending players home, they'd prefer to keep them on campus to work out. So I'm not sure that argument necessitates fall football.

There is one loophole in the safer on campus argument. Without the team together, for 50 players to get infected it takes bad decisions by 50 players* (not all infections are from bad decisions, but let's pretend they are). While the team is practicing and playing together, one player's bad decision can get 50 players infected as its really easy to spread among the team.

I still think there's a decent case to be made but its still complicated.

13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I have an acquaintance whose son is a true freshman at Toledo in the MAC. He told me yesterday that the players are being kept on campus and will train like its a summer program. Lifts, some field work etc. Just helmets and shorts. Basically the only thing they are doing different is no contact, small groups and no games.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Then, I wonder why Copeland tweeted that it would do him no good to go "back to that slum?"

15. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    So if they catch Covid during practice, are the schools less liable than if they caught Covid in practice leading up to a game?

16. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    That is not an answer to his well-reasoned post.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

17. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    It is like one of us losing our job. This is their job and sadly because of politics it is in peril.

18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That’s because there were so many false statements in his post

19. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Name one. Name two. Still not answer.

20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For starters "We are under the assumption that if football is cancelled they will stay home locked in a sterile environment where Covid does not exist.". There is no proof of this. Anyways, not playing this game with you so you might as well move on.