Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Safer to play football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by KendallGator922, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    The answer is: it depends

If a player did not play and was extreme in his precautions. Social distancing, mask usage, no major social gatherings, limiting going out to eat/grocery stores/etc.... then they’d have a low chance at getting it. For that player, no football is safer.

If the player hung out with his friends a lot, didn’t wear masks, went to large gatherings/etc.... then football is much safer.

Think of being on a football team as moderate to low chance of getting it. Clearly a regular student can have both a much greater chance and a much lower chance of getting it... depends on their actions

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Anyone who tests positive and has pneumonia like symptoms is mandated by every state in the country to stay home for 2 weeks. Its called quarantine. So you don't spread it to your or someone else's grandfather or grandmother and kill them. Even if you are asymptomatic and test positive you are mandated to stay home for two weeks.
    Florida Keys Couple Jailed for Refusing to Quarantine After Positive COVID Test: Police

So yes. We are "lowing the bar" lol.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    This ^^^^

4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    The problem with football and Covid is it relies on all players and staff to follow protocols. If they do it’s low risk. The issue is that the chance of that happening is low (2 MLB outbreaks in a week).

A non-athlete student has no such direct reliance on others.

That being said teams should enforce some sort of mini bubble.

5. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    The only reason they are trying to play football is for the $$$. A mini-bubble, even if that were possible, would cost too much and negate such $$$ and make the effort not worth it to the schools. Plus you only have a certain amount of schools that could even attempt a mini bubble scenario.

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Agree with this. Now let's ask ourselves what the average SEC football players will do without football?

Do athletes tend to think of themselves as invincible physically?
    Do athletes- esp SEC football players- always follow rules. Especially those that are more like guidelines?
    Do athletes respond better to structure/ programs/ schedules than to a lot of free time?

Some may disagree but the answer to all are obvious.
    So actually, the OP has a GREAT point and one that all should consider.

The choice for the players isn't football vs sitting by themselves in a room for 3 months twiddling their thumbs and wearing a mask.
    It's- will the players be safer in the football program vs what they will probably do on their own.

And the answer, for anyone with ANY common sense, is that they will be safer in the football program.
    With protocols, oversight, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    As I said on another post, if my son was in college I would prefer that he play football. Easy choice for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    It is true that football players get in the most trouble over the early summer when they are idle. I would guess that football structure is the only discipline some of them get. After all, don't they all say they want to come to a school that seems like family that shows them some love, and have a coach that is a father-figure? What happens when that "family" is excised from their life for a year?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Agree completely, but it's also the make-up of elite athletes in general.
    I remember a Braves player getting arrested for DUI after a rain-out.
    It's like they dont' know what to do with free time.

It makes sense if you think about it.
    To be an elite athlete means devoting your whole life to your sport.
    It crowds out almost everything else.

To take that away from these athletes is not wise and ignores that they will be more unsafe out of the program than within it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Totally agree about the devotion level of true elite athletes. Time will tell about the impacts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    The more research that I do and after reading the thoughts of players like Trevor Lawrence and the #wewanttoplay movement, I think cancelling the season will be detrimental for these players. Losing structure, safety, and hope kills the soul.

Let me add another layer into my argument. What happens when 500,000+ men that are wearing masks only to try to save college football no longer have a reason to do so?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    It might be safer. But if they didn’t play, they could be a lot safer, if they choose to. It would be up to them and how safe they are. But are we now saying “we know what’s best for you college athlete and it’s to play football - it’s for your own good”. ?!?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Overweight people are affected by CV due to high levels of C-Reactive Protein. Most athletes, and I assume football players, have low CRP.

14. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    CV is running 1.68x the number of deaths from the flu, but the number from either cause is very low.

CDC's numbers for males 15-24 between 2/1 - 8/1
    All Deaths involving COVID-19: 143
    Deaths from All Causes: 12,094
    % of all Deaths: 1.18%
    Population: 21,976,455
    Deaths as % of Population: 0.00065%

Breakdown, Deaths from All Causes
    Unintentional Injury 47.5%
    Suicide 20.8%
    Homicide 18.0%
    Malignant Neoplasms 5.6%
    Heart Disease 3.8%
    Congenital Anomalies 1.5%
    Chronic Low Respiratory Disease 0.8%
    Diabetes Mellitus 0.7%
    Influenza & Pneumonia 0.7%
    Cerebro-vascular 0.6%

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    My best friend is sending his son off to play D-3 football. He coaches high school football & is satisfied with the precautions the college is taking. The alternative is for his son to not play football, go to school in state & party unsupervised with his friends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Seems like not all high draft picks want to sit out. Lawrence is probably the #1 overall pick and he is laying down some facts with some common sense.

Trevor Lawrence (@Trevorlawrencee) on Twitter

[​IMG]

Trevor Lawrence
    @Trevorlawrencee

·
    13h

People are at just as much, if not more risk, if we don’t play. Players will all be sent home to their own communities where social distancing is highly unlikely and medical care and expenses will be placed on the families if they were to contract covid19 (1)

17. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Trevor Lawrence
    @Trevorlawrencee

·
    13h

Not to mention the players coming from situations that are not good for them/ their future and having to go back to that. Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes -

18. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Trevor Lawrence
    @Trevorlawrencee

Players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line. Without the season, as we’ve seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions

19. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Peter Burns
    @PeterBurnsESPN

·
    22h

What I don't understand is the rush to cancel the entire season for the conferences that have the means to make a season potentially work? Who cares about traditional timing of the back end of the schedule? You owe it to your student athletes to exhaust every single option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Define safer. Has any professional athlete or their coach died of Covid?

Statistics suggest they would be the least likely to die? Obese people die. People that are immune compromised with diabetes, heart or kidney disease die. People living in poor economic conditions with no PPE die. People over age 60, but in much larger percentages over 75 die.

Sending these kids back to poor neighborhoods with little food, PPE, and without medical care of supervision if you close school and dorms again would be more dangerous.

I don’t understand the safety factor when the evidence is out there that highlights the groups that will die from this virus. It is not athletes.

• Winner Winner x 1