Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Safer to play football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by KendallGator922, Aug 3, 2020.

1. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    Are those 300 lb linemen safer in the general population? Does the virus spread faster in a football meeting room than say a dorm with 20 people inside just hanging out playing Madden?

2. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    NC State has over 30,000 students.

Athletes are most definitely getting tested more than the general student body. However, I do not think they will be sequestered when not practicing. They will still be walking around campus, eating at dining halls (with some social distancing guidelines) and going to class. All those things are probably manageable. With that said, my daughter is in the marching band and has already been invited to an ice cream social for her section of about 40 kids. Her group of friends range from planning to stay in their rooms pretty much all the time to not concerned at all.

I think your original premise is interesting and probably true for many, but the only real safe solution, IMO, is a bubble. Starting back college on campus with kids living in residence halls will end in disaster, IMO. I think that if college were remote for all then we might have a chance at a football season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    ... Except that all the schools are saying that if students are not on campus, then student-athletes will not be either. So, exclusively remote learning = no football. I guess we'll know soon.

4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There is an FSU cheerleader joke in here somewhere.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, that's the part I don't fully understand. If the athletes were able to bubble, I think @KendallGator922's point is completely accurate. If not, I don't see this working at all.

6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gatorrick22 said:
    FOR YOUNG HEALTHY PEOPLE...

Please don't post on my posts again... You are ASSUMING that you have the facts without even posting any facts...

Show me some FACTS on how this virus affects the young HEALTHY people... especially athletes.

You misread what I posted... again. I said that young healthy people are not dying from coronavirus...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    The SEC is already decided to play football dude... It's not my decision.

Now my question is why can't we just play our regular schedule? Do you have that answer?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I already told you that A proportion of asymptomatic patients still get the covid pneumonia without feeling it. Would you like the 8 or 9 citations in medical journals that have come to the same conclusion?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So by safer are you talking about not getting shot or not getting struck by lightening or what? What are they being made safe from? If Covid, then you have to talk about the risks of Covid. And then look at which option minimized the risk. But to play along, a person is safer if they minimize contact with people that could potentially be infected. So in scenario 1, the frequent testing will at least let you know who might be infected so you can isolate. But being college students, both scenarios present a higher risk than if a student athlete stayed at home doing distance learning (which wasn't a choice).

10. GatorLuke

GatorLuke All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    It should absolutely carry the most weight. These athletes risk more serious injury just by playing the game. Moving the goalposts to some hypothesis about potential lung issues is BS.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    So we need to change the discussion. It's not two options (football or no football). We need to look at 3 options in my opinion. Option1 is football. Option 2 is no football, but on campus learning and semi normal activity. Option 3 is remote learning with limited contact with potential virus acquiring sources. Option 1 and 2 are almost the same. Option 3 is the safest option. So we should not make the conversations we are having about football or no football. They should be about on campus school vs remote learning. On campus school for student athletes with or without football has the same degree of risk. So if they cancel football for safety reasons, they should cancel all on campus activities.

12. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Irrelevant...cause its not going to happen

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    NC State and the whole UNC system is in a major threat...thev have all been asked to prepare budgets with 50% cuts..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    This a joke response...cause it appears you have decided to disregard every other fact about Covid except death...

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Asymptomatic.

16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Distance. Those less than 6 feet apart can spread, even wearing masks. Masks provide a false sense of security. Hard for a football team, coaches, trainers and support staff to maintain a proper distance in games, practices, travel, hotel rooms, when eating, let alone when letting loose with females and friends when people are not watching

I think the airborne component of the virus is more infectious than first realized, particularly in buildings with recirculated air.

17. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    So if football is cancelled, all student athletes will remain six feet away from everyone?

18. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    The topic is asking if football is safer than no football. Covid asymptomatic people exist both in the football world and in the non football world meaning a student athlete could run into them on or off the field.

19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    So, now we're lowing the bar to kids getting pneumonia like symptoms must stay home? I'm glad you have an opining, but many far more qualified doctors disagree with you.

I didn't decided to have a football season, the SEC did. It's on, so live with that.

20. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know what you're talking about. You haven't provided any facts.