Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Safer to play football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by KendallGator922, Aug 3, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    What concrete, definitive facts are you expecting to find on a new virus that was introduced to the world and scientists 7 months ago?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Death shouldn't be the only metric looked at. There can be long term impacts to a persons health, even if they dont die. So the question should be are there any professional athletes who got the virus and may now have long term issues? We dont know that answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    You are still arguing about the consequences of Covid. That was not the topic. The question asks whether a player is safer playing football or not. Is a player better off on the team in a state of the art facility which does mean physical assertions, etc as well as close monitoring and testing or are they better off on their own without the physical assertions, but also without the guidance of coaches and testing which means possible parties and other dangerous risks, etc. I did not intend to debate the long term effects of Covid or the effects on a 21 year old versus an 80 year old. Just which option is safer. If the two options were football or a perfectly sterile safe zone, the answer is obvious.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Kendall

This is a question best addressed by medical experts. Since you asked here is one guy’s answer:

Social distancing is key.
    Stay away from crowds.
    Face coverings

In football social distancing is impossible

Contact is an hours long reality

Intense extended physical contact during practice and games

Contact with another schools athletes. Hotel stay. team meals. airport. plane. bus trip. How many college kids will travel every other week on 2 flights, stay in a hotel, ride a bus and come into physical and violent contact with 2-3 dozen kids from another school EVERY week or two?

As well as in person contact AND social gathering for school classes tutoring and hanging out

So no- football IMO is not safer

24 Clemson players with Covid.30 at LSU

We are about to find out whats safer

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    I am not arguing whether football is safe. There is no social distancing and lots of contact with your teammates as well as opposing teams. Is the alternative that these kids stay home in a sterile environment or is it possible that if football is cancelled these same kids hang out with, party with, not abide the social distancing rules with other classmates from their school and possibly other schools?

• Like Like x 1
  6. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    No one anywhere has mentioned a ‘sterile’ environment is required or necessary so you lose me on that.

Are you around adult aged college students? You are jumping right to the conclusion that they party and break all rules and that is just not correct.

Some players WILL party and hang out even with football.

I know bc I have 3 sons from college at home bc of covid. And parents talk. And for the most part they are probably 90% compliance on the strict rules we have set

Football isnt safer IMO but we are going to find out

Others will disagree

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    A) You are 100% right. No one has mentioned a sterile environment. In fact, no one has mentioned what will happen to these kids if football is cancelled. That is why I started this thread. I am asking what the two options are. Option 1 is football. What is option 2 and is that option safer than football?

B) You are also 100% right. While I am not jumping to conclusions, I am presenting an alternative of partying and breaking rules that may not be there at all. I am just trying to figure out what the alternative to football would look like for these kids and how much safer they would (or would not be) if football is cancelled.

8. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

I appreciate your post. its a good discussion to have

The alternative might look like what just happened, spring semester.

How many football tested positive during the spring semester? I ask because I don’t know

Now, looking at other SEC schools only how many tested positive during voluntary workouts?

9. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    You asked the money question. How many college (or even nfl players) tested positive outside of football? Were they even tested during that time period? Will we hear about any NFL players that opted out for safety concerns who later test positive because they went grocery shopping and brought it home to that same family they want to protect?

10. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    The players are reading these reports too, especially the ones regarding cases of elite athletes losing as much as 30% of their lung capacity; if they have pro aspirations, a case of this could derail them before they ever get to hear their name called... every player that still loves the game wants to be out there; but the cost is a legitimate concern.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    We are NOT debating the seriousness of Covid or its lasting effects here. That can be discussed on the many other topics. I am trying to ask here is if a player is more likely to get Covid playing football in an environment where he is tested regularly, where those around him are tested regularly, where coaches are watching and guiding these players to make the best choices possible all while being surrounded by top notch doctors or if he would have a better change of avoiding Covid if football was cancelled and he was on his own to be with his friends who may or may not be tested and doing his own grocery shopping and other tasks while also NOT being surrounded by the best medical staff possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. prisch1

prisch1 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a very interesting question. And I think for the discussion the focus shouldn't be on how many get sick, how severe it is, etc. People have their own opinions on that and despite very low incidence of serious cases in young, healthy people one can't guarantee they won't be the exception. So I understand that thought process.

But I was thinking about this topic more in terms of NFL players who have opted out, but I guess the same goes for college. If you opt out you decide you are better able to avoid the possibility of contracting COVID. At first blush that makes sense, you are avoiding the football contact and overall group in which some social distancing won't occur. But you also have to commit to basically eliminating all risks of contracting COVID so basically lockdown. NFL players easily can do this, for college guys it's possible, but likely harder.

There are of course degrees of lockdown so a player may say I don't feel comfortable playing, but I'm okay at home interacting with some people in limited numbers. One is a risk I'm okay with, the other I'm not--and that's ultimately a personal risk. And it's impossible to quantify those risks. But if a player believes contracting it will possibly impact their ability to play in the future they should have been and continue to go full isolation.

I think full isolation would be "safer" from a COVID standpoint than playing football, but if the player is going to socialize with friends (even masked), eat out occasionally, then I think it's debatable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I would conjecture that players would be much less likely to get COVID during football season for six days of the week due to the much more rigid and controlled environment that they are being subjected to in camp. On game day, however, with all the direct contact, I think the tables unfortunately flip. But, as you state, this is only about whether or not the student is more likely to contract the virus while on the team, not how he is likely to fare if he gets it.

14. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    If a player (college or pro) opts out, I have zero issue with that. I would, however, expect them to adhere to a rigid safety plan which would be much easier for a wealthy nfl player than a college student. If a player opts out and still gets Covid while in the safest environment possible, that is uncontrollable. But if a player opts out and catches Covid doing unsafe activities (social gatherings, etc), then that makes his decision not a good one.

There is no doubt isolation is safer than football. Is option 2 isolation though? It seems these kids are looking at option 1 football and option 2 no football not realizing option 2 is not foolproof unless they go into lockdown themselves.

15. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    Good points here.

16. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I completely agree with the "they should be getting regular testing" part, but just like in the rest of the country, this just isn't going to happen. UF is one of the "haves" in that they have a fantastic research hospital on campus and can offer tests to all students. My daughter attends NC State, a major university of over 30,000 students. They claim they have capacity to do 300-400 tests a day. What a joke. I expect NC State is closer to the norm than UF, sadly.

17. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    So you have NC State that can test 300-400 students daily on a campus of how many students?

College football players will be required to be tested within 72 hours of every game.

Are student athletes safer getting tested with the team or the general student body?

18. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you can make a strong case that football players are going to be safer than other students or the general population.
    • Frequent & consistent testing
    • World class free health care
    • Immediate treatment
    • Constant education and reminders
    I don't know of any other group that gets these things. Even Congress doesn't have a testing schedule for members.

19. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    precisely why I think there is nearly a 0% chance we complete a 10 game season in 11 weeks - unless people change their perception of the virus (which is not likely happening).

The announcements by the conferences were a ceremonial gesture, in my opinion.

20. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    There is where my point lies. Are we treating student athletes BETTER than the general student population giving them a better chance at staying healthy? What is this topic's header (Safer playing football?)