Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Safer to play football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by KendallGator922, Aug 3, 2020.

1. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    We are all hearing the argument is it safe to play football for these kids? Let's flip that around for a second. What if it is actually safer for them to play football than not to?

Here is my argument. Is it safer for these kids to be in a highly accountable environment where they are tested for Covid on a regular basis and those they are regularly around are also tested? These kids will be told what activities will help them avoid getting sick and they will be working out regularly to stay healthy and fit.

We are under the assumption that if football is cancelled they will stay home locked in a sterile environment where Covid does not exist. The reality is, if football is cancelled these kids are hanging out with their friends (who have not been tested) and lose the accountability of a head coach where their decision making may not be up to a head coach's standards. They will not be tested regularly and will be working out less and more susceptible to getting sick.

I'm not saying that football is the safer choice, but thinking that the cancelling of the season will save the lives of all of these college football players and families is not a true statement. Covid is everywhere. I would rather have them in an environment where they are being tested and where their actions are held to a higher standard and where going to parties in the middle of the night is prohibited. That to me will keep them and their families safer.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow. Not even sure where to start

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    Not saying it's the answer, but just a different way of looking at this.

4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How many healthy under 21 year olds have died from COVID-19? Please post the information on that if anyone has it.

Let's play football and let's play or regular schedule... It makes ZERO sense to play our Conference only schedule.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    What part of its not just about dying that that is a consequence of this disease...you really have to be looking the other way just because YOU want to see football!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    Let's stay on this thread's topic. Are players safer at home with no testing or guidance while hanging out with friends and going out or at school playing football with testing, coaches, and being around others that are also regularly tested?

• Like Like x 3
  7. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    As students attending the university, they should be getting regular testing as they are likely super spreaders to everyone around them...also, why are you afraid to talk about COVID in its total....let me guess you wanna see ball.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    If that was my kid, I’d rather he play football this season.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    Are they safer playing football under the eyes, guidance, and rules of coaches or are they better on their own with their friends and no rules or guidance? I'm not making this about football. What is best for the kids.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    What makes any student a "super spreader"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Exactly. There is not one professional athlete from anywhere in the world, who is a current athlete, that has been hospitalized/vent or died from this virus. Current and active athletes, who are training, are in superior physical condition. Their immune system’s are top notch and can fight off this and many other viruses.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    What professional athlete anywhere in the world has died because of the virus?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    @KendallGator922 has a valid point. These programs have millions of dollars on the line and are likely the most sterile environments a parent could hope for their child. In addition, most schools employ and provide cutting edge medical care. I’m keeping this point to the P5 schools though, as those have the necessary resources to provide such an environment. The smaller programs do not have said resources and may in fact increase risk versus online classes from the apartment.

14. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    A scene from Old School comes to my mind here. Will Ferrell gets shot by a tranq gun, and says "you're crazy man, I like you but you're crazy".

So it will be difficult to test people daily, every few days, maybe, but still difficult to do. Every week may be more reasonable for testing.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31305-2/fulltext

Let me give you an example of how you can hurt someone real bad by having them play football. Mono can cause enlarged spleen during infection (maybe one in 5 mono patients get splenomegaly) and you need to stay away from contact sports that may cause your spleen to rupture. The article I linked to above showed 8 of 13 people who died of COVID had enlarged spleen (one had complete atrophy of the spleen as well, which is pretty cray.

So, it probably wouldn't cause an enlarged spleen in 8 of 13 asymptomatics, but 1/4 is probably reasonable if mono also can do it. Lets say he gets infected, tested the next day (it will probably come up negative) but he's playing football all week with an enlarged spleen that could rupture. That would be less than ideal.

Another example are asymptomatics that have evidence of lung injury despite feeling completely fine. The problem is you may feel fine with lung injury while being profoundly hypoxic (short of oxygen) without feeling short of breath. The reflex that makes someone feel short of breath is actually a build up of CO2 (hypercapnea) in your lungs rather than a low oxygen level. The way you compensate for low oxygen is breathing more, and because you are breathing more, you are breathing out more CO2, so you are removing the CO2 that causes the feeling of being short of breath. A colleague of mine saw a 35 yo woman in the ER talking on her cell phone, who came in for a UTI (she usually comes in for antibiotics like most women who get frequent UTIs). While she was talking on her cell phone (non-smoker) her oxygen went down to 80%. Above 93% is normal, and most people are in the 97-98% range. When she stopped talking her oxygen went to 90%. Started talking again, oxygen went back down. Got a chest x-ray, ground glass opacities (covid pneumonia), did the test, COVID positive. She had no idea as she was asymptomatic. She ended up being fine after being in the hospital for 3 days to monitor her oxygen.

But what would happen if these guys are playing football because they are asymptomatic with oxygen levels in the 80s or even lower if they push hard?

I don't know man, I think an abundance of caution is warranted. Especially with hard physical activity and contact sports.

I don't know if playing a contact sport and exerting yourself to the fullest is ideal.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    I’m fairly certain the Shands physicians will be closely monitoring for any signs of Covid. In addition, within the program is likely the most frequently sterilized and heavily monitored environment you could expect for a college age male.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    To the healthy 21 year olds it's no worse than a flu... Post some facts to refute my claim if you want, I'd love to read them. And I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but there is a ton of misinformation out there on COVID-19....

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    And one of those bits of misinformation is that "it's no worse than a flu"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    FOR YOUNG HEALTHY PEOPLE...

Please don't post on my posts again... You are ASSUMING that you have the facts without even posting any facts...

Show me some FACTS on how this virus affects the young HEALTHY people... especially athletes.

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Look at Miami Marlin situation comparatively. 19 total players and coaches infected with virus. Spreads quickly. Stayed in Philly for 10 days until bused him. Would mean Gator players living in isolation for 2 weeks and missing 2-3 games during a college football season. You also don’t know how big 300 pound lineman would react, as virus attacks the heavy or obese people differently. Also, what about older coaches, trainers and athletic dept staff? Are they at risk from young carriers?

• Agree Agree x 3