Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ryan Newman

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by llm85, Feb 19, 2020.

1. rjGator

rjGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Rockford, Illinois.
    I can't post a link, but it you go to the USA Today site, they have photos of Ryan and his two young daughters. He seems in good spirits.

2. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was up in the stands near pit out. Saw the whole thing. I've seen worse and was hoping for good news like everyone. Florida's Ross Chastain is filling in at Vegas this week for Rocketman.
    I work races because I like to help drivers and teams. I'm pretty proud of the rescue work I saw. It may have felt slow to some watching, but I trust my safety with those guys every month. Twice last month an IMSA car hit the barrier where I could have been standing. Those rescue crews are the best trained professionals, always do a great job whether its a track day car festival or Nascar.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My view of it

[​IMG]

He slid all the way by us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    here’s the crazy part. Newman went to Purdue engineering school. Smart guy, apparently back in 2009 he got nascar to add another bar in the door/window area. It’s referred to as the Newman Bar. Fast forward to Monday, and how it might have saved his life.

From an article: In 2009, Newman lobbied NASCAR to increase protection for its drivers, and a bar was added to the window of the Gen6 COT that is referred to as the "Newman Bar." The extra protection from the bar may have saved Newman's life on Monday,

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    Ryan Newman is one of only a couple of old-school drivers left in NASCAR. I would add Kevin Harvick, and if you said Kurt Busch, I wouldn’t argue.
    The thing with these cars, every time the car bends, the driver doesn’t. They’re made to tear apart and absorb impact. I long since swore off nascar. The tracks they run now sucks. All dual-purpose so they can run open-wheel. Boring. But Ryan is a good dude. And I’m glad to see him get past this.

6. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree
    Good post and thank you.
    I’m right there with you.
    We are all on our own journey and who knows when that journey will end on Earth.

The older I get the more I can’t stand to watch or hear about suffering, pain and death.
    I’m only 62, and both of my parents are still alive on their 80’s.
    But, the small things in life, like this board , and the people that post here, actually play a very large part Overall.

If I’m not at a game live...any game, basketball, football, baseball or softball, I always lurk or comment on the game threads.

especially to commensurate after a loss.....:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good view and great pictures,
    I sat in nearly that same spot when Tony Stewart clipped Kyle Bush in the Tri Oval on the last lap of a July race.

Bush rolled and skidded all the way to the pit road exit.
    Just like Newman.
    Difference was, He walked away.

8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree. I heard that this might be his last year anyway. Hopefully it is, but, he has earned almost $90M in his career for those kids. You can tell he's a great father.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Another interesting note about Ryan Newman. About 8yrs or so ago he and Krissie started a non-profit animal welfare and educational organization, Rescue Ranch. They have poured countless hours of hard work and $$$ into the operation since. Today the RR is on over 100 acres offers a wide variety of programs for kids. In 2017 they opened a 10,000sf all inclusive playground (Earnhardt Family Playground), the only one in the region. They are both really good people doing great things in/for their community.

link:

Rescue Ranch | Non-Profit Animal Welfare Organization

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1