Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ryan Day = Larry Coker

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Dec 8, 2019.

1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I can’t help but see the resemblance in Ryan Day and Larry Coker. Both of these coaches walked their way into a loaded roster. Listening to Ryan Day in the post game yesterday it reminded me of the Larry Coker situation at Miami. Larry Coker had studs all over the field and won a national championship with Butch Davis‘s players. We will see how the story ends this year for Ryan, but long-term, I don’t see him as an elite coach who can win how OSU will want him to. Including this year, I think he will be there less than five years.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Better OC than Coker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Coker had a nice OC resume as well. Issue was he couldn’t recruit. This year Day will have momentum recruiting because of the success on the field. When he loses a few games next year recruits will start to question things and start going elsewhere. Less than 5 years is what I predict.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Until the rest of the Big10 catches up to OSU, it will be like Clemson is now in the ACC. A one team conference. Kind of like Oklahoma has been, but Texas, Baylor, and other schools appear to be catching up. At least we can say the SEC has 3-4 teams with legitimate championship chances every year.

But being able to give top recruits “loans” from a “family friend” helps recruiting in ways we will never know. Money trumps coaching in the recruiting wars. And as long as the NCAA is toothless with respect to these issues, they will continue happening.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I think the path through the BIG10 is still a lot more difficult than the ACC or BIG12. Clemson having to go through FSU, BC, Tech, Virginia isn’t on par as having to go through ...Mich, PSU, Iowa, Wisc ... Meaning, I don’t think the gap is as big for OSU. It could fall apart as soon as next year.

6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Key will be whether he can recruit like Urban, which I doubt, especially down here in the South.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes, the resemblance is unmistakable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    Disclaimer, I live in Columbus and I loathe Ohio State with every fiber of my being. However, I think Ryan Day is a very good X’s and O’s coach / OC which is something Urbs is not. With that said, your comment about a loaded roster is very accurate and I’m curious to find out if he can sustain this immediate success because he does come across quite douchie. He will bolt in the not too distant future to the NFL that much is certain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ryan Day was given the keys to a Ferrari, the Bucknuts are basically a semi-pro team this year. Obviously, still had to guide them though, and he did well. I personally don’t believe that path they had to navigate was as rigorous as some proclaimed it to be, but that’s just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    Too early for this assumption

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SadSouthernBuck

SadSouthernBuck Freshman

Dec 14, 2009
    Currently 4th with 2 five star and 14 four star commits. I think he’ll do ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Agree. Makes the difference.

13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    This won't show in one year. Still riding Urb's coattails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    First people say Urban Meyer didn't deserve the credit for his success, it goes to his assistant coaches. Now that his assistant is in charge, the narrative is that Day actually doesn't do anything, Meyer left him a roster full of talent. LOL

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well, he made some pretty strong adjustments at halftime last night.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    Meyer is nothing without good assistants but he is very good at recruiting and building a winning environment. He is also still a lying sack of $h!t and an a$$.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Herman has extraordinary potential, but he's been an utter disappointment...

It's a complete mystery to me why they haven't been more competitive with Herman at the helm...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sadly, these qualities seem to get you very far in today's world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    How can you reach this conclusion when he's still in his first season? Seems a bit premature to me.

20. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    It's called a prediction. It's when you say what you think will happen without waiting until it actually happens since at that point it'd be like stating that water is wet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1