Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Russia backs Bernie Sanders election

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Feb 23, 2020.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Did I say it was a downgrade? My point was that I've seen how low this country can go in my youth and again in my old age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Words mean things. Russia is not a totalitarian country. It’s at best an illiberal democracy and at worst an authoritarian country with some institutions that are democratic in form if not in substance. Even during the Soviet period, Russia had been moving away from totalitarianism since the death of Stalin.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not Trump.

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Meaning Sanders will win the general election or just the narrative on that one?

5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Meaning I'm not voting for Sanders or Trump in the primary. When it comes to general, if Bernie is in, he'll be the only one saying things like this:

Sanders calls Putin a thug, tells him to stay out of US elections

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    DO any of you really think Russian bots on the internet actually sway an election?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here are my two questions for you:
    1.) Do you believe advertising has no effect?
    2.) Is it inconceivable that 107,000 votes, all that decided the 2016 election, could be swayed by a social media campaign?

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, that ought to do it. I mean, Russia has been interfering in U.S. elections since at least 1948. But if a menacing dude with a comprehensive national security strategy like Sanders tells a wimp like Putin to back off, I think Putin will piss himself and unmake all of his plans for 2020. Then the time will be perfect for another hit of the old “reset” button, and the Baltic states, Ukraine, Belarus et al can start thumbing their noses at those dumb, weak Russians again.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    And here’s the inevitable question that going to come back at you: What kind of Russian commercial would have made you vote for Trump in 2016? Please be as detailed as possible for any political scientists on here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While we will never know for sure, yes it's real possibility. Keep in mind that during the last election the Russians did not just mobilize Trump voters they also suppressed the votes of potential Democratic voters. Also keep in mind that it didn't take much manipulation to affect the results of the election. Although roughly 140 million votes were cast nationally, the election was decided by a total of under 100,000 votes. Trump won WI, MI and PA, all by a margin of well under one percent. If Democrat turnout in those states was the same in 2016 as it was in 2008 and 2012, Trump would still be residing at his Versailles in the sky in Manhattan and "crooked" Hillary and Bill would be living in the White House.

11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    So you are going to pretend there is no difference between a candidate that tells Putin to f-off and a candidate that gets down his knees and begs for foreign interference?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    So we’re back to pretending advertising doesn’t work, eh? You think you’re immune to advertising? All those smart people out there dumping billions into it every year for no gain?

It’s not a political “commercial” they used, per se. It was an extensive network of social media accounts to normalize behaviors (i.e. make certain beliefs and actions seem common and acceptable).

In what amounts to essentially an either/or decision-making process its likely only going to sway those on the fence. Who knows what it was for each individual person? People get caught up in populist movements all the time and increasing the perceived magnitude of such a movement will have an effect on some.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is that your roundabout way of saying that no Russian advertising campaign would have influenced you to vote for Trump, but it worked on all those “stupid” people who changed their vote at the 11th hour from Clinton? I guess I should go back to all previous elections, determine which candidate was in the Russian interest, assume that Russian interference was decisive, and further assume that the results of that election were, therefore, illegitimate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I assume there’s a difference to you, but my point (which couldn’t have been much clearer) is that there’s no difference to Putin. If he thinks that supporting Sanders will sow further discord in the U.S., weaken us internationally, and advance Russia’s long-term national security strategy, then he’ll still support Sanders whether Sanders knows and/or likes it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Please ... when Putin says "jump", Trump says "how high?". That's why Putin supports Trump. He may be supporting Bernie to sow discord, but Bernie is not going to be Putin's lap dog.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. creekgator

creekgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    The only thing that reduced Dem turnout was a crappy candidate like HRC

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Russia is basically an organized crime state without rule of law. Just ask Sergei Magnitsky...oh wait.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    lol It was mostly a troll farm running only in the 10k's of ads on social media. I think the main one was Jesus armwrestling the devil and they organized a few little get togethers against both candidates. It was a joke what little was done actually and insignificant.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    You're both wrong to some degree. An inundation of negative ads put out by bots and spread by actual people (like aunts re-posting those spammy "I doubt anybody will read this / paste to your profile don't just hit share" things) just serves to depress the vote, particularly for the Democrats. It's not about getting people to vote for trump, it's about getting people to stay home.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re just looking for a fight, aren’t you? I mean, why else would you intentionally omit my qualification as to who it would affect in an election like that unless that was your intention?