Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Russia and Turkey Almost Went to War

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Mar 10, 2020.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Over Idlib, Syria. And it was the Russians who backed down, after seeing Turkish-made drones decimate Syria's tanks. Russia got involved in Syria at least partly to gain experience for their military and test new weapon systems, but they don't want any part of Turkish drones.

Turkey used a new weapon in Syria that was so effective it looks like Russia won't dare confront Turkey directly

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, I’m sure it was the drones and not Turkey’s membership in NATO that gave Russia pause about whether to engage in general warfare.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    2016 called it wanted a world where we side with NATO over Russia

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    1997 called soon after. It wanted to retire that joke over 10 years ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Probably a combination of both. Took one look at Turkey’s NATO equipment and membership and thought better of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Wow....no question where you get your *information* from.

Suggest trying a trough that isn't contaminated with neo-prog agenda driven stupidity.

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As the article correctly points out, Russia could counter the effectiveness of the drone swarm tactics. Drone swarms are of less effectiveness against a first rate foe with air superiority, though they can be formidable. This is an interesting result, but it is unclear how far it can be applied. Also, at least according to the piece, and I await a more sophisticated analysis from a military specific piece by backgrounded authors, the particular technology was Turkish developed and not NATO general, though I have no Ethan all NATO forces have at least comparable technologies.

We have developed interference technologies, that were supposedly used to down an Iranian drone shadowing a US warship

8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMO, Russia doesn't want a real war right now. Sitting on the sidelines and making a mess of the rest of the world seems to be their M.O. for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Putin is more interested in peeling Turkey away from Nato than he is in going to war with Turkey.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I didn't realize that Turkey had the largest military among European NATO members. They could prove to be very useful.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Being the largest (by manpower numbers) and most capable are two different things. Turkey almost certainly has the lowest paid soldiers in NATO, and is somewhat technology-limited (partly by budgetary constraints). Obviously, they've developed drones and have some modern fighter jets. They are close enough to the action in the middle east that they have to take defense seriously.