Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Russia and the far right

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 30, 2018.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I and others have commented here before about the right's defense of Russia. I couldn't tell if it was just because Trump has been defending them, that they all got right in line. But, actually, the far right's connection with Russia apparently predates Trump, the allegations of collusion and the automatic denial of it all.

Opinion | Russia and the far right’s cozy affair

And article from last year:
    Moscow Cozies Up to the Right
    How Russia Became the Leader of the Global Christian Right

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Here is a another good article on the subject, that covers how the religious right and the NRA fostered these relationships based upon perceived ideological cross-overs, especially in regards to issues like gun rights and gay marriage:

Guns and religion: How American conservatives grew closer to Putin’s Russia

Notice the prominent role played by Torshin (now sanctioned) and a relatively obscure graduate student by the name of Maria Butina on the NRA side. But folks like the National Organization for Marriage and Franklin Graham were also reaching out for connections at the same time. And often found them in the form of Torshin and Putin himself.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    apparently Putin's hardline position against homosexuality and Islam has had a big role in attracting American evangelicals toward him.

Why the Christian Right Shares Trump’s Affection for Putin

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    All of this being said, the overarching political goal of the Russian government is to tear apart the liberal (small "l") world based upon his perception that doing so would strengthen Russians relative position in the world. In order to do so, he needs to take down what is sometimes called the WEIRD world: Westernized, Educated, Industrialized, Rich and Democratic. The populist right as well as the extreme far left share that goal for differing reasons. The populist right opposes the globalized and socially liberal nature of the most educated and rich areas of the Western world ("coastal elites"). The extreme far left opposes the rich part of the equation (primarily referencing capitalism). So he has enlisted both of these groups to help in his goal. He has certainly had more success in the US with the populist right than the far left (Donald Trump vs. Jill Stein).

I would argue that he has had more success overall with the right in Europe as well, although it is closer (they have taken the government of Italy, pushed Brexit, and increased the profile of what used to be fringe parties in France, Germany, Netherlands int their second largest parties, while, on the left, they have managed to gain a leading coalition spot in Spain and get Corbyn in the UK.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I believe the phrase you are reaching for is...the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Or perhaps politics makes for strange bedfellows.

I prefer...you do not understand what is a conservative. You used the term "far right" and that is fine as long as you don't confuse the two. You are talking about those who want an activist government but only for the "good" reasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The liberal democratic world; which does not refer to liberalism, but concepts we understand as essential to democracy. Elections. Free speech. Free press.etc. Putin is a totalitarian autocrat and he seeks to undermine those values. We have appeased him for too long.

• Winner Winner x 6
  7. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Continuing ties between Russia and the far right. Very fringe far right, in this case.

Neo-Confederate white supremacists launch their Russian operation

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you sure you're for free speech? Even on college campuses? :rolleyes:;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Everywhere and for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    With the GOP gutting election security funding, it sure seems like they don't mind the Russian interference, as long as it's helping them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    It absolutely boggles my mind that a draft dodging, POW insulting, in bed with Putin, crotch grabber is the face of patriotism to many.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Fighting liberalism together:

Russian and American Christian fundamentalists vow to fight ‘totalitarianism’ of modern society

• Like Like x 1
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I don’t find it difficult that the far right trust Russia more than the alt left or far left progressives.

The divide is going to get even bigger.

15. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    that's your excuse? I don't like the religious right, but I don't go running to the Russians to help me defeat my fellow Americans.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The profound ignorance of these so called Americans should be astounding. But, it is no longer, to me. The Russian government is a dictatorship of faux elections where opposition candidates are murdered or imprisoned. Their godfather, Putin, has plundered the country, its resources and its people for the benefit of a few oligarchs, who move their vast wealth to banks and assets outside of Russia. The country is run like the mafia. Ironic we see the right wing posters here compare Democratic candidates with wanting government model like Venezuela, and see the right embrace a country that is just like it. They don't care about the criminality of the right wing leaders they embrace because they want a government that guts the First Amendment (for others), the right to marriage. To the groups in the referenced article, Russia is a good model because they, too, want to impose their values on anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. staticgator

staticgator All American

Nov 27, 2016
    So far, the NRA’s political action committee and political non-profit arm have spent just over $1.6 million in 2018 on outside expenditures, such as political attack ads, and direct campaign contributions to federal candidates and groups, compared to more than $16 million on similar expenses at this point in 2014.

That decline comes as the FBI investigates whether the group illegally received money from Russia to fuel its support of President Donald Trump during the 2016 election and as the group has seen a decline in dues that has deepened the group’s operating deficit.

NRA’s spending is way down in the 2018 midterms. Does it have ‘a popularity problem?’

18. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    What did I say that’s not possible or right?

Maybe the far right considers them less of a problem?

I don’t know either way.

19. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    I like how now instead of facing realities at home, we just scream about the ROOOOSKIES.
    • Russia didn't create huge income/wealth inequality in the US
    • Russia didn't vote to continually increase a bloated defense budget to satisfy the military/industrial complex
    • Russia didn't let banksters off the hook after the collapse in 2008
    • Russia didn't allow the insurance lobby to write our healthcare policy
    • And no, Russia didn't get Trump elected. Hillary Clinton did that.
    Until we wake and realize that our current predicament is the result of DECADES of bad policy, nothing will change.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with all of this. Points well taken.

But the Russians are still a problem in their own right. They are actively attacking our electoral system (hacking state electoral systems in addition to party servers), using social media to deepen racial and political divisiveness as well as pump political disinformation, and attacking our infrastructure. We need strong responses to cyber attacks generally and to the Russians specifically for what they are doing. IMO.