Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Russell Westbrook- Amazing Record

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by INGATORSWETRUST, May 9, 2021.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Russell Westbrook ties Oscar Robertson for most triple-doubles in NBA history

What an incredible record. Not sure people realize how incredible it it to average a triple double for a season and he has done it four times. Double digit rebounds, assists and points. Tying Wilt for most games with 20 rebounds and 20 assists. About to break the Big O’s 50 year old record for most triple doubles in NBA history. Not Gator related other than playing under Billy D for a few years and teaming with Beal now, but amazing he does not get more publicity for his accomplishments. He might lead the league in both rebounding and assists for the second half of this NBA season. Point guard doing this.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Brodie is one of my favorite players. Leaves it all out in the line every night. I don’t get the star padding accusations hurtled at him. You should be trying to get as many rebounds and assists as possible every night. He is just really good at it. Rebounding, especially as a point guard, is all about effort. It’s really amazing what he does night in and night out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I’ll add on that he’s a prime example of why I’m not big on analytics. The analytics say he’s not efficient, and people use that to criticize him. But... analytics don’t measure the effort, passion, and skill of this 1st ballot hall-of-famer. If people just used their eyes like we used to, instead of looking at 3rd level stats, the game just becomes more enjoyable to watch and appreciate.

Ok stepping off my soapbox, now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    I agree. And when you’re 6’3 and consistently get 10 rebounds and 10 assists a night in the NBA….You’re efficient.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    It is an amazing accomplishment. Also amazing is how long The Big O had that record. He was truly remarkable too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dude has taken a lot of criticism in his career and not sure he deserves it. Was funny to see the people blaming him for Paul George sucking in the playoffs disappear when George sucked in the playoffs last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    It is totally amazing.

Not that it makes less spectacular, but to just for the record, Robertson didn’t average a triple double for a season four times. He averaged a triple double over four seasons combined.

8. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Someone who knows more about basketball, please tell me: how does this even work? He is leading the league by two assists per game and is 6th in rebounds per game, with numbers 7 though 10 all being 6’10 or taller. Just anticipation and knowing where the ball will end up for rebounds?

9. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    I think it is just a combination of the way he plays the game, his athleticism, vision and IQ.

He is fast, strong, attracts a lot of attention when he goes to the basket. Long story short -- he is just a special player that plays the game this way (and when you play with great scorers like Harden, KD and Beal -- it opens up a lot more options for assists when you and the scorer attract probably 3-4 pairs of eyes on the defensive side most of the time)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Westbrook's stat-sheet-filling play is impressive, but back in his Thunder days I always said they'd never win championships as long as Westbrook was taking more shots than Durant (an all-time great scorer).

I've always thought he shot too much (specifically outside shooting), but haven't watched him as closely the last couple of years. Seems like he was deferring to Beal (also a great scorer) more appropriately in a game I saw earlier this season. Maybe he's learning - although I wonder why Beal's scoring seemed to dip over the last part of this season.

11. potomacgator

potomacgator GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Beal missed two games with a strained hamstring late in the season and was slowed down by the injury in subsequent games.

12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Seemed like Beal's ppg had been coming down for a while. Thought he was going to win the scoring title easily at one point.

13. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Russ is a special kind of relentless talent.

I respectfully challenge the record, however. Wilt in his prime singled out and shut down players for whole games, blocking every shot that was taken by the respective player. He is still the only player to block the Skyhook, and he did it twice in one game (and when he was past his prime).

Had they recorded blocks during his first 10 seasons I believe he would hold a number of untouchable triple-double records.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Are you sure he would have averaged more than 10 blocks a game? That would be more than double the amount of blocks of anyone in history. I know Wilt was great, but c'mon ;)

15. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some of his stat padding accusations are brought on himself. He once late with a game out of hand gave himself a cheap rebound to secure a triple double. He does care about his stats more than any superstar should and I would take a team first Beal over him any day of the week. There’s a reason why the other superstars in the league end up separating from him. Beal will be next.

Sent from my iPhone

16. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I will admit I was 100% wrong when I said he would be a bust and said that he was a ball hog.

Ok maybe I was only 50% wrong

Sent from my iPhone

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mickey Johnson (Bulls) caught a Kareem skyhook on the way up. Don't know if that is a block or a steal.

Added in edit: I looked it up. It would be a block and a rebound.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Always like a player that can fill a stat sheet. Almost as good and amazing a passer as Magic or Isiah. Westbrook deserved better. Amazed me how a team with Harden, KD, and Westbrook didnt win an NC. Hope he lands on a team that that can make/win the finals.

19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I really liked what Magic Johnson did to pick-up basketball. Before him if you wanted a shot you had better get a rebound. After him assists were uber cool. It really improved the pick-up game.

• Like Like x 2
  20. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    And Steph Curry ruined pick-up basketball. Not saying it's his fault, but everyone thinks they can pull up from 30 feet now.

• Agree Agree x 1