Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rush Propst secretly recorded explaining how Kirby and Saban cheat

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by justinwitt07, Mar 8, 2021.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Outstanding!!
    Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Do yourself a huge favor and carve out a few hours of your time to watch this. You’ll figure it out!

• Like Like x 1
  3. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Good friend of mine played D-1 football. I asked him one time about recruiting sins and the like. His response: "everyone's dirty, to some degree."

4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    To me that seems obvious. Some have boosters that are a bit more "all-in" and are willing to float more $$ to fund this stuff. Other schools have boosters with less of a desire for the big ticket items. I think who recruits great consistently gives you an idea on which is which.

Also....from the life comes at you fast dept.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This above is total BS... No one goes after a school for that? Unless that school in The University of Florida.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    No one (outside of anonymous message board posters, obviously) is going to presume the financial ability of a kid’s family to afford a (fill in the blank). The assertion that the family of a prospective college football player can only afford X, Y, Z if they get it from an extra benefit is dangerous territory for someone to wade into.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Charley and Galen got the biggest deepest shafts of all time!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I get Hairy’s point. Career over. Excuse me, I need proof you can afford that truck please.
    Mr kes please come to my office with your keys and badgeese.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
  10. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why are the sports journalists not grilling Saban and Kirby over this?

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    dee-linerjpg-c0e0cc5b60ef3112.jpg

Yes. Shouldnt assume about finances. I'm sure he had just started bagging groceries to earn some spending cash thst coincided with him signing with Alabama. These things are very tough to uncover....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    There's what you can guess and what you can prove. You can make all kinds of guesses about how they got that money. You can also wonder if they are fanning $3,000 there or $150.

But what can you prove? That they are holding money? If someone was to ask where they got it "none of your damn business" would be an acceptable response. Sure, some of them are getting this $$ from boosters. But some of them have families with money already. Some of them have jobs. We know from history that guys will fan money like this for social media with $20s or $100s in the front and $1s behind them. Guessing wrong on this is like guessing wrong on whether or not a lady is pregnant. Do so at your own peril if you are a serious sportswriter or someone else in that world.

This is why the NCAA never does anything about this stuff unless someone self reports or leaves an obvious paper trail, the former happens way more than the latter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I don't disagree with your take. Isolated instances are one thing however. When these things keep occurring with athletes related to the Same programs it should spark investigations. This was just one instance. There are several more including the bama booster who owned the sporting goods/men's suits store that was hosting bama athlete signature sessions and selling memorabilia including some from players who were still associated. With the program. Al betar I think his name was. To a good extent It's a matter of willful ignorance.

Depending on what program is breaking the rules of course.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. beteez

beteez Freshman

Jul 20, 2009

15. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    In a normal world you'd be right. But we live in bizzaro world where the power to properly investigate these issues is not something the NCAA has. They can go down to the school and point to social media posts where recruits & signees are fanning cash, but the school can just shrug its shoulders and tell the NCAA bye and there's not much more that can be done. The schools have no incentive to really change that status quo because they all have varying degrees of skeletons in the closet that they don't want uncovered. Its takes Tennessee level stupidity to give the NCAA a bat and ball in any kind of effort to sanction a school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Saban and Kirby would just call them nasty questions.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You sure are hell bent on defending the system as it is today. That pretty much says all we need to know

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

There you go. Swept under the rug, nothing to see here. The beat goes on

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    Not defending the system. I just have no ability to control or change it. So it is what it is.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    [​IMG] BWaaahaaahaaahaaahaaa! What are those?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1