Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rush Propst secretly recorded explaining how Kirby and Saban cheat

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by justinwitt07, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It should have been...

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Investigative wise. I don’t ever see the ajc do any hard hitting journalism. Maybe it’s just me

3. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    When money is involved, especially.

4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    A guy like Jeremy Pruitt would definitely know how it works, but the coaches aren’t going to be involved in the day-to-day operation of something like this. This is all gonna be handled with boosters, who are there year to year regardless of who the coaches are and who are not handing out extra benefits in any way that is traceable. Trying to be a source on something like this the NCAA would need solid evidence, something I doubt he would have for any of his previous stops before Tennessee.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe so, but schools (all schools) still have to pay the price if this type illegal payment is found out to be happening.

6. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    The NCAA does not work like a court of law and can start investigations into a program for a multitude of reasons...the reality is that the NCAA is as corrupt as the schools and selectively decides on which schools are investigated. The NCAA is just an organization used by an elite few to control huge amounts of money and power over collegiate sports and who gets access to it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Great thread and discussion.
    A few years ago there was a story called "Confessions of an SEC bagman" which gave a lot of details to how this process works.
    Some have already mentioned it but just to repeat...
    1) the benefits are funneled to family members, not the players directly.
    2) The coaches are purposefully not involved.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I would add this as a mid 80s Accounting major who took a lot of Economics.
    The first chapter of our Macro Economics (Denslow) book said something to the effect of...

When you have a willing buyer and a willing seller, its very difficult to keep them apart on a longterm basis.
    No matter the rules, laws, social norms, etc.

Apply that lesson to many things and it works- drugs, prostitution, rent-controlled apartments, college admissions, or NCAA big-time athletics.
    Trying to control the marketplace is like pushing a rock up the hill, to watch it roll back over and over.
    It's doomed to fail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Write them and call them with the recording then post it to social media to get it trending. Force their hand. Anyone who can find the ncaa’s email address feel free to add to post.

Contacting The NCAA

National Office
    The National Collegiate Athletic Association
    700 W. Washington Street
    P.O. Box 6222
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
    Phone: 317-917-6222

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    Ok, I listened to the recording and any doubts I had have been dispelled. That is a guy talking his business. The only thing that gets him in trouble is the request for ten thousand in "funny money" which he says he needs to funnel to players. The parts about Kirby and Saban are just shop talk, true, but ancillary to what they are discussing.

So I think I was really Pollyannaish about this. Now the only question I have is how did 'Bama and Georgia extend these informal networks down into Florida from Mobile and West Georgia without getting caught/

11. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMG_2165.jpg

Someone I know and a handful of others have already followed the NCAA’s Facebook page and direct messaged them the link to the recording. Here is a screen shot of one of them. I encourage everyone to do the same as it will be quicker and more effective than writing in a physical letter.

@justin you should add this to your OP. It’s time Georgia’s cheating ass is brought down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    I'll just say the ugly part out loud.....illegal payments are as much a part of college football as the games themselves. I think we all like to look at the game we love and the schools we follow as bastions of amateur athletics, where players go for the love of the school, do their homework and gain glory before moving on. But that's not reality. Extra benefits are a foundational part of college sports in general and keep the balance of power as a status quo. Yes, sometimes the dirty laundry gets aired in public and schools get hit because of it. Almost always though it happens because someone gets sloppy and expands the bubble too large (and that is almost always more of a problem for basketball than football).

Why has this story not really gained much traction? Because nobody cares. Unless there is a smoking gun (and there rarely ever is) stories like this come and go all the time with a whimper. There's no incentive for the parties involved to talk and the NCAA is never going to have the power they would need for legitimate enforcement. With NIL payment on the verge of being allowed some of the process will become even more entrenched (and now with the tinge of legitimacy).

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    Bless their hearts.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    The ajc website has this story on it's homepage. As I recall the paper did a good job with the Jan Kemp and Jim Harrick investigations. But all of those folks are long gone. We will see if anyone at the ajc has the stones to put up what Kirby and the UGA fanbase will fire at them.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Easy to say when your team is the biggest cheater in the business. Make sure you’re still around if this blows up in your face

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Because that is the only teeth they have. They're pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Well pardon us as a fans of a program that were held to a different standard by the same organization that sure seemed to care enough to the point to penalize coaches and players that had nothing to do with the purported improprieties....

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    It happens at every school. Some are just better at keeping it a secret than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    All of that is true. What's also true is that America is a country full of people who gratuitously cheat, lie and steal in all walks of life. Saban and Smart aren't the first and sure as hell won't be the last. When I was younger I may have been shocked and appalled and disgusted, but now that I'm older I'm just like "meh"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Pretty much. The NCAA is a corrupt organization through and through. They've cultivated a culture based on being unscrupulous and shady, are we supposed to be surprised that they let cheaters get away with cheating? lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1