Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rush Limbaugh

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RIP, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    And it didn’t come out of nowhere. If you plant the seeds and stow divisions between the proletariat and the bourgeoisie, revolution will eventually happen.

Democratic rhetoric does a great job of making people think the wealthy having too much money is a problem, it does a great job of making people think they’re entitled to the goods and services of another, and it does a great job of stowing division between the classes. All recipes for disaster and eventual violence.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Something a lot of you don’t seem to understand is that violence and authoritarianism are not the only bugs in Communism.

Destroying incentive to work and innovate effectively filtering all of the money out of the country are big issues as well. And you don’t need total Communism, as defined by Marx, for this to happen. That’s when you get these countries turning their country into a prison, telling their people they can’t leave.

It’s this sort of redistributive philosophy left unchecked without boundaries and without an anchor that leads to an authoritative and oppressive regime in part. And if you think that some degree of redistribution will be sufficient to placate those who want Communism, you’re a useful idiot who has no idea of how spoiled children operate.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Ask literally any Cuban who was alive before the Revolution and ask them to compare that to life after it. See what they tell you.

4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good thread on the terrible things said by Rush... click on link then click “read thread”.

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Example:

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    There's a logical fallacy somewhere in there.

We've had a thread discussing for pages now that the wealthy have too much money. The wealthy is essentially the business-owning class.

First of all, I don't think that the risk of losing healthcare would be sufficient to sway someone away from starting their own business that they truly believe in. Too much money at stake. I do, however, think that marginally taxing them to an insane degree when they make it incentivizes them not to take any sort of risk, because if it pays off, it goes to Uncle Sam anyways.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  7. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Except basically no one is proposing taxing the wealthy “to an insane degree.”

Increasing taxes from laughably low to a medium amount isn’t going to cause people to stop working and making money.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Not saying Castro made things better. Saying that if things were so great in Cuba before Castro, there wouldn't have been a revolution in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    In the twentieth century where communism took hold in parts of Europe, Asia, and African continents, it was faiap through revolution, not democracies with capitalist systems slipping into communism because these countries have social welfare and/or progressive taxation.

You are basically arguing with strawmen, not with what some others here are actually writing to.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    For 2/3rds of the 20th century, the top marginal tax rate was equal to or greater than 67%. In the entire Leave it to Beaver post war 1950s decade through 1964, it was over 90%. What AOC proposed is a rate twice as high as the current rate so at first blush it might seem radical, but it's not in context. It's also not insane. It is no doubt high, but it's a marginal rate above a threshold for extremely high income earners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thejman

thejman Freshman

Feb 21, 2021
    There are some folks that don't understand the concept of "enough". If $80 million can't get it done, that's a him problem. Unfortunately, it becomes other people's problem as well. But like they care...

• Like Like x 1
  13. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I'm not a fan of AOC, she can "propose" whatever she wants, it won't happen. You'd have to overhaul the entire tax code because we all know the uber wealthy, top 1% of the top 1%, have the best CPA's to make sure they don't pay taxes. I do think they should pay their fair share and not a penny more

14. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Rush is dead. What say you? The most illiterate statement of all time! I literally could not stand his ignorant statements and fear anyone that pushes their voices on the ignorant as he did. His success was based solely on fear. Dead or Alive..he was still a bastard of our society.

15. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I really like AOC. In fact I think we need more of her thinking. She is a bit to the extreme but there will always be a middle to lighten that load. One thing about her is she does what she believes which is truly lacking from politicians. I prefer her 10x over any of the 47 that supported Trump and his very valid impeachment!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You have to understand that basically nobody was paying that rate.

Something tells me AOC actually wants people to eat that 70% rate.

The fact that it's a marginal rate helps, but I'm not a fan of tax policy that acts as a pseudo income ceiling for the aforementioned reasons.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you think that the economic effects of Communism are completely severed from it's violent authoritative nature throughout history, that is just plain wrong.

There is a reason that Communists are violent and authoritative. It's because the system doesn't work without being that way.

There is a line where policy compels politicians in power to become violent for it to work. I don't know exactly where that line is, nor do you. All we can do is speculate on when we should start being concerned. Proposing redistributive policy on the mere basis of income inequality, inequality of outcome, or the rich simply having too much money, is a step towards Communism.

I agree, we don't want to cry wolf regarding every tax increase or every welfare program, which is a fair criticism of the Republican Party. However, it's the rationales behind the policy and the lack of an anchor that concerns me, not so much the policy itself. I think the policy itself is worse for the country, but a reasonable case can be made for things like higher taxes and universal healthcare. I don't like it, but I understand it. What I don't like are the justifications we see behind the policies in our academic communities, in the media, and in the Democratic Party. That scares me.

In fact, I think a moderate Democratic Party is ideal with respect to managing the budget because I have frankly lost my faith in Republicans in cutting spending to a point that they can keep up with tax cuts. I understand where you're coming from, but it seems to me that the only thing that would work with respect to budget management, is increasing taxes while either not touching spending or reducing spending.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Right, and if the election weren't rigged folks wouldn't have stormed the Capitol.

Obviously the election wasn't rigged, I'm proving a point that people react violently to lies and nonsense. And frankly, I find it ridiculous that you go out of your way to make excuses for the folks that helped aid in the Revolution in Cuba. Or you attribute it to, "well, things weren't great in Cuba. That's why the Revolution happened."

"Riots are the language of the unheard." Until of course it's people on the right rioting. In which case, it's just evil. False premises. Misinformation. Disinformation.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. gatorrichard

gatorrichard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been reading on here for over 10 years. This is my first ever post and probably my last. I cannot believe the hate coming from the unity group.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    She pegged it at 70% after the first 10m. And it's likely no one would be paying the 70% if such a policy were passed. Your point seemed to be to use this proposal to suggest "there is no line" But this doesn't seem to be a good example given history.

• Agree Agree x 1